Proposal: Habs/Hawks

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
as a habs fan, i don't think Lindgren will become a starting goalie at the nhl level. So it's probably Byron vs 26-31st pick. Depending if we win the lottery or not, if we are going for a reset (no thx) or rebuilt i'd say yes

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Without Byron and Pacioretty, Habs have on the wings:

Drouin/Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Hudon
Lehkonen
Scherbak*
A.Shaw
DesLauriers
Carr
Rychel

That's 9 wingers, none of which are waiver-exempt except Scherbak. All of them could use another look. Add in the 2018 1st if we land in the 2-4 range.

Byron will be 29 and starting the last year of his contract. His speed, smarts, defensive play, low cap-hit and underrated hands makes him a valuable trade chip.

With Niemi's resurgence, Lindgren can be moved. He's ready to play a backup role in the NHL and can be a future starter if he finds consistency, which is something Chicago needs.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
The Hawks don’t need Byron, and while Lindgren is nice, I think they’d prefer an established backup. Nice package of players, but I definitely wouldn’t give up a 1st for it considering it doesn’t fill any needs.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Remove Lindgren, and id do it
How.... lol you obviosly do this trade in a hard beat even if i like byron alot, it’s a mid low first round... chicago declines, they need to start thinking about rebuilding their prospect pool.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
How.... lol you obviosly do this trade in a hard beat even if i like byron alot, it’s a mid low first round... chicago declines, they need to start thinking about rebuilding their prospect pool.

Its not a mid low 1st, its nashville's 1st round pick so probably between 27th to 31st

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Without Byron and Pacioretty, Habs have on the wings:

Drouin/Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Hudon
Lehkonen
Scherbak*
A.Shaw
DesLauriers
Carr
Rychel

That's 9 wingers, none of which are waiver-exempt except Scherbak. All of them could use another look. Add in the 2018 1st if we land in the 2-4 range.

Byron will be 29 and starting the last year of his contract. His speed, smarts, defensive play, low cap-hit and underrated hands makes him a valuable trade chip.

With Niemi's resurgence, Lindgren can be moved. He's ready to play a backup role in the NHL and can be a future starter if he finds consistency, which is something Chicago needs.
So you would give up one of only two 20+ goal scorers the team has this year, along with a decent goalie prospect, for a very late first rounder?

I firmly believe Niemi's "resurgence" is an aberration and he will be nowhere near as good as this season with the Habs. Not likely as bad as he was with the Pens but somewhere in the middle.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
So you would give up one of only two 20+ goal scorers the team has this year, along with a decent goalie prospect, for a very late first rounder?

Yes. Because in the grand scheme of things, given Byron's age and term, he's not part of the long-term plan and is more valuable to a team trying to contend than he is to the Habs.

I firmly believe Niemi's "resurgence" is an aberration and he will be nowhere near as good as this season with the Habs. Not likely as bad as he was with the Pens but somewhere in the middle.

Perhaps. I'm still on the fence about signing Niemi and using Lindgren as a trade chip.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I fail to see the point from Hawks POV.

They definitely need a young NHL ready backup with starter upside.

As for Byron, if they're looking to quickly turn things around (which they should), they'll be looking for effective players with a low cap-hit rather than more draft picks.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They definitely need a young NHL ready backup with starter upside.

As for Byron, if they're looking to quickly turn things around (which they should), they'll be looking for effective players with a low cap-hit rather than more draft picks.
Hawks can get a goalie like Lindgren either in UFA, from over seas, or on the waiver wire in October. Byron isn't worth a 1st.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
dont think they planned on trading hartman for a meh winger and a soso backup. not that byrons bad just dont think hes in the plans.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Byron is great, SUPER UNDERRATED. But, he's not worth a 1st. This isn't very enticing to Chicago at all, even with Lindgren being added.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad