Proposal: Habs -Flyers/Isles/Devils/Jackets/Avs

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This is just a scenario where Montreal picks a direction and that direction is trying to be competitive.

To New Jersey
Arturri Lehkonen (2.4)
Chicago's 3rd 2021

To Montreal:
Miles Wood (2.75)

IMO Wood is the better player. Montreal does this because they don't lose any speed, or a tenacious forechecker and they gain a big body who might be able to make room for some players.

New Jersey might say no, but they downgrade slightly, but not significantly and get another pick to add to their collection.

To Philadelphia:
Montreal's 2nd 2020
St. Louis' 2nd 2020, or Montreal's 2nd 2021
Philadelphia's 2021 5th

To Montreal:
Shayne Gostisbehere (4.5)

Montreal gets a puck mover, a LHD that they desperately need. Philly gets 3 picks back with 1 being a high 2nd and the potential of another high second depending on their preference and essentially Nate Thompson for free and allows them to trade for help at the next deadline.

To Colorado:
Jonathan Drouin (5.5)
Vegas' 4th 2021

To Montreal:
Nikita Zadorov (RFA)
Tyson Jost (RFA)
Colorado's 3rd 2021

Montreal ends their relationship early with Drouin. He showed great promise before being hurt. He likely becomes closer to the player he could be in Colorado with a much more skilled group around him. He can be hidden in their lineup and possibly be on the pp with the likes of MacKinnon, Rantanen and young phenom Makar. This gives Colorado some more offensive depth and could see them form another dynamic duo, or Drouin might work well with Kadri going in deep and doing the hard work.

Montreal gets some physicality on the backend and strengthens a weakness. They add another pick to recoup from those they're trading away and get a wildcard in Jost.

To Columbus:
Max Domi (RFA)
Conditional 5th round 2021 pick
Dale Weise/Christian Folin (Simply a contract that expires this June 30th.)

To Montreal:
Josh Anderson (RFA)
Ryan Murray (4.6)

Condition 1: Pick becomes a 2021 4th if Anderson and Murray play 50%, or more of the games. *This condition automatically becomes met if either, or both players are dealt in the 2020-21 season.
Condition 2: Pick becomes a 2021 3rd if the above is achieved and Montreal makes the playoffs.

This trade would be better if it could be Anderson for picks, but Montreal wouldn't have the appropriate picks left. While it would be nice to make this bigger and at the draft (PLD, Anderson - Domi, KK, 8th overall as a basis) those big deals just don't work here. Montreal doesn't really need Murray at this point assuming the other deals are accepted, but this feels like it might be acceptable.

Columbus gets a 2nd line centre. Montreal gets a big bodied forward, whose relationship is apparently deteriorating with Columbus, but that doesn't mean he isn't worth much. There would be a lot of teams interested in him.

Montreal adds another LHD who's a bit of a gamble, as he can't seem to be healthy. So, they can either keep him and let the now 5 LHD situation play its self out, or trade Mete/Chiarot/Murray for either a player, prospect, or pick(s) and play 1 on the right side.

Ideally, Montreal would want another centre like Domi to stay while Suzuki plays another season and we can see how he does and how KK grows, but Anderson likely won't be available next season and Montreal could really use a player like that.

Montreal has approximately 17.1 mill to sign Anderson, Zadorov, Jost and Mete ( who is likely gone) (Anderson around 6, Zad at 5.5 and Jost at 2?)

Now, Montreal waits until after July 1st to make moves. (The above haven't happened yet)

Montreal offersheets Pierre-Luc Dubois 6 years, 10.5 per for 4 1st round picks going to Columbus.

Or

Montreal offersheets Matt Barzal to a 7 year, 11.5 per offsheet at the cost of 4 1st round picks.

Montreal likely sends their 4 1sts in the next 4 drafts and likely doesn't hold onto 1, as Weber and Price will be going down soon with on Primeau at this point to potentially replace Price. It's a bit of a gamble, but Montreal cant' really attract UFAs and can't seem to draft them, so this might be their only chance to get a game breaker.

Montreal's centre depth would be weak again, but nowhere near as weak as it was with Desharnias at the helm.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Suzuki - Anderson
Wood - Jost - Armia
Weal + 2 UFAs

Gostisbehere - Weber
Zadorov - Petry
Murray - Chiarot
Mete - Kulak
Alzner (AHL)

Price
UFA/ Lindgren/Primeau

Defense is pretty good, forwards are pretty weak, but really, the offersheets would come first and if they got one, go from there, probably try to acquire Ghost before that either way, or Dunn if he indeed becomes available.

As you can see the forward group isn't the best with Domi missing. Maybe they can win games 1-0, or hope Suzuki and KK take big steps.

Quarantine boredom.

Reactions: thebonscott

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
The Columbus one doesn't seem bad from either side to me. Montreal might have to add a bit to make it work.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Bad trades, lots of them and the team isn't any better now or long term.
There's no way we sign Anderson at 6M long term and Zadarov at 5.5M. These 2 contracts would be terrible.
If Murray is healthy, he's playing on the first pairing over Ghost and Zadorov (this guy is a bottom pairing d).
Chiarot is a LHD and has shown he can play in a top 4 role. Mete can quite easily be a 3rd pairing guy. We already have Kulak as depth on lhd.
We need 1 good LHD to play with Weber, no need for 3.
We are dealing our 2 most gifted forward in the process...

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
The only trade i would make here is the Philadelphia and Columbus trade.
The other 2 are terrible.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Flyers trade offer is right in value after Ghost's year. I would rather keep Ghost but have doubts Flyer management agrees.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hell no to every single one of these trades. Some are bad.. others are abyssal.

Lehkonen isn't that good, but Wood is a slight upgrade.

No to every trade and particularly the Avs trade where the Habs get hosed hard. Awful.

Drouin hasn't been that great for us aside from the start of this season. He could get more, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That Drouin trade is absolutely atrocious for Montreal. Why would they do that?

Again, they could get more for him, but he likely needs yet another change of scenery.

To be fair, do you think he's going to say "if you offer enough, we won't match " ?

Bad trades, lots of them and the team isn't any better now or long term.
There's no way we sign Anderson at 6M long term and Zadarov at 5.5M. These 2 contracts would be terrible.
If Murray is healthy, he's playing on the first pairing over Ghost and Zadorov (this guy is a bottom pairing d).
Chiarot is a LHD and has shown he can play in a top 4 role. Mete can quite easily be a 3rd pairing guy. We already have Kulak as depth on lhd.
We need 1 good LHD to play with Weber, no need for 3.
We are dealing our 2 most gifted forward in the process...

They were just numbers thrown out.

Anderson, if he plays a full season more than likely passes Drouins 15 goals a season, or whatever it is he averages with us. Domi is a tough loss, but he's been widely inconsistent this year and a lot of the time loos like he doesn't care.

I just listed the d as I remembered "acquiring them" and threw Chiarot down there just because that's where he goes. I forgot Kulak was on the team.

We need 2 LHD. Mete is kinda crap.

The only trade i would make here is the Philadelphia and Columbus trade.
The other 2 are terrible.

Wood is an upgrade on Lehkonen. 3rd round pick is meh. Drouin might get more, hopefully he does, but I'm not so sure at this point.

I would not make the Ghost trade. Two 2's ain't doing it.

One 2nd is a high second. If he's dealt, i imagine you're going to be surprised that he doesn't return what you're expecting, unless the flyers hold on to him and he gets back to his old ways, but then i doubt he's traded.

funny, this is the guy who calls out other posters for shitty trades on the habs board :huh:

That's because they're 2nd round pick and Ikonen for PLD, or something like that.

Drouin, for the 3rd time might get more, but he's been widely inconsistent and disappears for large stretches. Even when he and Domi looked kind of good it was from getting points against Detroit and Ottawa.

Drouin has been a massive disappointment with the habs.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I've been saying for a while now the Avs should trade for Drouin- it makes sense. But the Avs would need to pay more here, and honestly I think they would.

Also you have the lineup wrong as far as LHD, Murray would be the best- not the worst.
Also while that Dcore doesnt look bad, the forwards are atrocious. It wouldn't be as bad if either of the players took the offersheets though.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Zadorov is much better than montreal fan's think. He played his best hockey when he play with Jonhson(< than Weber) as 1st pair.He skate very well and he is strong.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Zadorov is much better than montreal fan's think. He played his best hockey when he play with Jonhson(< than Weber) as 1st pair.He skate very well and he is strong.

zadorov is not what we need . He’s a bottom pairing inconsistent dman who will cost 3+M on the cap. We already have Chiarot who has chemistry with Weber and played at a bonafide top-4 level. What we need is a pmd that can produce offense and qb a pp. zadorov is the opposite of what we need.

Trading Drouin for Zadorov is laughable!

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I've been saying for a while now the Avs should trade for Drouin- it makes sense. But the Avs would need to pay more here, and honestly I think they would.

Also you have the lineup wrong as far as LHD, Murray would be the best- not the worst.
Also while that Dcore doesnt look bad, the forwards are atrocious. It wouldn't be as bad if either of the players took the offersheets though.

Ain’t happening. There is no path to a Drouin/Zadorov trade. Makes zero sense for the Habs.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
The Wood trade is fine. Don't mind it but it's a lateral move if anything.

Ghost is not a player the Habs should be interested in. Especially not for 2 2nds in a deep draft.

The Drouin trade is gross. He was playing the best hockey of his career before he got injured. I want to see what he can do in an uninterrupted season. The value is way off.

Trading Domi is the wrong move. He's 25. He had 72 points last year playing centre. He loves Montreal. He wants to be here. We have a hard time attracting free agents, so trading the guys that want to be here make no sense. He wasn't as good as last year but he was still on pace for over 50 points when the whole team sucked. We could acquire Anderson without giving up Domi.

We could acquire an LD without giving up top assets. St. Louis are most likely going to be trading Dunn because they have no cap space for him. You could probably get him for less than full value by taking on someone like Allen/Steen.

If Anderson was made available, you could probably acquire him for futures. His value is pretty overstated on this website.

If Kotka and Suzuki have big summers, I'm hoping the offence could look somthing like this:

X - Suzuki - Gallagher
Domi - Kotka - Drouin
Tatar - Danault - Kovalchuk

X could be three scenarios

1. UFA route (Hall, Hoffman, Dadonov, etc.)

2. Luck out and win the lottery (Lafrenière)

3. Use draft picks and deep prospect pool to acquire a young impact forward

As for our defensive core, Weber and Petry are pretty good as our top 2 D. Chiarot isn't a bad #4. We need to get a #3 to play with Weber. I'm hoping we could acquire Dunn, while taking on Allen. Maybe something like Chicago and St. Louis's 2nds and Mete for Dunn and Allen. If it's not Dunn it could be someone else. Zadorov would be OK. I would be interested in him but not for the trade you proposed. I don't know how I feel about him playing top minutes. Romanov coming in next year will be a big help. He'll start on the 3rd pair. Juulsen, if healthy, would be great alongside Romanov. He looked very comfortable playing top 4 minutes when Weber was injured in 18-19. Its unfortunate injuries have kept him out but he was played in the AHL before the pause so he's made progress. Him and Romanov could make a really nice 3rd pairing.

The defense might might look something like this:

Dunn? - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Romanov - Juulsen/Fleury

Let's just say hypothetically 2 2nds + Mete for Dunn + Allen happened. We would have Price/Allen as our goalies. Allen is getting paid 4.35M for this upcoming season and then he's a UFA. Allen will allow the Habs to lower Price's starts and give more time to Primeau. If Primeau isn't ready and Allen plays well, you re-sign him to a lower cap-hit than 4.35M. If Primeau is ready, you let Allen go.

The Habs could be competitive this way. Of course, MB probably does absolutely nothing. He'll just buy a year's supply of protein powder for him and Timmins with all the saved cap space. Maybe he'll get some more purple suits. We have a horrible GM.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I never said a Zadorov Drouin trade.

Just that if your GM can realize he isn't competing anytime soon, Drouin for picks/prospects could make sense. The Avs have both.

that makes zero sense either for the Habs. Drouin is part of our long term future. Guys like Tatar are who we should be trading next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,027.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $900.00