Habs Fans mistreated at the TD Garden during Game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
I've been to two Hab/Bruin games in Boston. One was in the playoffs in 2011 (game 2, Habs won), and the other was the last meeting the two had this season (Habs won in a shootout).

I haven't had any problems at all and will gladly go back to another game at some point. It sucks for this one guy, but it's definitely not the norm. Most Bruin fans are fine... just like how most Canadiens fans... or Leaf fans, or Ducks fans or whatever. There will always be a very vocal minority that can sour the experience for others, but that usually isn't the case.

The worst behaviour I witnessed towards Habs fans in Boston was actually coming from Pierre Gauthier back when he was assistant GM; my family and I ran into him walking in the North End, the 4 of us sporting Habs jerseys, my father said "Bonjour M. Gauthier, go Habs go!" and the ghost never even looked at us :laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I would suggest closing this.....happens to everyone on every building. And enough with Bruins threads....we're about to have as many Bruins thread than on the Bruins forum...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The fact that it was an elimination game is a huge factor as well.

Game 1 of the series, I might go there with a Habs jersey.

Game 7, no ******* way!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I went to a game at TD back in 2008 (game 4 i believe?) and I had peanuts throw at me the whole game, until I got security to stand next to me for the 3rd.
Everyone was really nice, besides the idiots chucking peanuts at my head. However, after the Habs won, my friend and I covered our shirts with our jackets and got out of the garden as fast as we could. (People were ole'ing in the exits, it was awesome!)

mark24

Jun 17, 2013
Every fan base has its idiots, yes some have more than others but its pretty widespread. Feel sorry for this couple and wish it could have been a much more enjoyable experience. Sometimes emotions get the best of a fan base when things aren't going their teams way.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
I wore my habs sweater in Vancouver a couple years ago and was getting tons of grief after the game from some bozo. I turned it back on him and said, " you can punch me if you think it'll make you feel better " His friends laughed at him. It probably helps that I'm 6'3" but most crap like this can be solved with humour.

bruinsrule1211

I just want to say I was at game 5. It was my first playoff game and it was great. And most people were just having a fun time. I talked to some Habs fans and they were nice. So I feel bad this happened. I didn't notice anything bad happen while in the game. Just people having a little fun. Before the game outside the garden I helped film a intro to hockey night in canada with both Bruins and Habs fans. And we got along lol. There's no need for fan on fan violence people.

But here's the video we filmed before game 5. Is anyone here in this?
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC's+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/ID/2455545914/

Surge101

Apr 28, 2014
South Florida
I wear my Habs gear at the BBT in Florida anytime the Habs are here. Of course, the majority of the center is wearing Habs gear too.

useref15

Oct 11, 2009
New Jersey
I've been to two Rangers-Canadiens games at the Bell Centre, most recently the last game of the season this year. No better atmosphere in the world for a hockey game. Both times I've been there, in a Rangers jersey, I've had no problems. All the MTL fans we encountered were great, and just wanted to talk hockey. Both were great experiences. Theres really nothing better then a Saturday night in Montreal for some hockey. For some reason, there were a TON of Rangers fans at the season finale this year.

However, I also went to game 4 in Philly the postseason, and let me tell you....I've never experienced something like that ever. We wore our jerseys which wasn't the smartest thing to do, but we weren't obnoxious or anything like that. Right when we got to the arena, we already had people screaming, cursing, getting in our face, and etc. We made an attempt to go to the bathroom during the intermission, and what a mistake that was. The concourses were the worst part of it. People getting in your face, giving the finger, cursing at you. Pretty stupid how some people act over a hockey game. The good thing was that we were actually sitting last row in the arena, so people weren't able to throw stuff at us or anything. We had some really cool Flyers fans sitting next to us, who actually feared for us as we were going to leave the arena, so they actually walked us out.

suprez

Mar 1, 2008
Laval
It's so pathetic. Some fans take this waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy too much seriously. Like personal. Like it's them playing on the ice and beating the opposing team. They need to chills and get a reality check pills.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
This is just embarrassing,I fully understand the rivalry between both teams but fans from both sides need to realise we're all humans and just cheering for a different city,I've been to a game in Boston since I have family there and witness the hate wen some fans were spitting on my Price jersey after we won the game but like it was mentioned there's idiots on both sides

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Sadly this happens in every city with every team at times. Some fans just get way to carried, drinking and things get stupid. All teams fans have been guilty of this at times, not just Boston, everyone.

People need to chill out a little and drink a little less at games.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
What are you basing this on? What you read online?

Because every building has a story online about how an away fan got clocked. So by that logic you shouldn't wear an opposing jersey anywhere. Personally I really don't feel like Boston and Philly are anywhere near as bad as you think.

Teams that build a reputation/culture for being tough/bullies are more likely to attract fans that are intrigued by that violence. I'd imagine they'd get a few more fans that feel that adrenaline and act out on it.

nodice

Registered Lurker
Feb 3, 2009
Vancouver
The main thing to take from all of this: IF YOU SEE SOME FROM YOUR OWN FAN BASE CROSSING THE LINE, SAY SOMETHING! I think things like this only get worse if people don't call out idiots. Aim not referring to chirping, that should be a fun thing, but anything aggressive or physical is just flat out stupid and it needs to be stopped. In the words of my mentor, Milan "treat people the way you would like to be treated"

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
FWIW, I didn't really particularly HATE any team. I mean I disliked a few in terms of like "damn, let's not lose to those leafs, that would suck" type of dislike at the time.

Then a family member watched a game in Boston...take a guess if my zero hate situation still exists.

It should be noted that there are idiots everywhere and issues can happy at any game at any time. That being said I don't think a Boston fan in the Bell Center is like a Montreal fan in TD Garden. Sorry to say it because I don't believe it's really a "it's the same everywhere". It EXISTS everywhere but TD Garden is a rough building for a Habs fan.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Here's another incident Bostonians won't be too proud of. It happened to two Habs fans who had the misfortune of attending Game 5 (May 10th) sporting Habs jerseys:

Felt particularly bad for the letter writer, on account of this:

Full story here: http://www.montrealgazette.com/busi...playoff+game+Boston+Garden/9838727/story.html

Just to be clear, the Bruins had nothing to do with this and it's not the lot of all Bruin fans, just the few who took it upon themselves to act like cretins.

I wish the Habs would take note of what happened, locate this Habs fan and his girlfriend who got abused and do something for them to make this right.

50 Year Montreal Born Habs fan, and I say this: Don't wear Habs Jerseys in Boston. Duh.

No sympathy at all. You do understand how tough a town Boston is, right? A lot of young guys have a very tough time there, trying to find jobs, trying to take care of their families.

Get out more. The world is a tough place. Try Asia if you think Boston is tough. You can get killed here at the drop of a hat.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
6 or 7 years ago, I went to Boston with 9 other friends. All in Habs jersey. We walked in Boston with our jerseys on several hours before the game and only 1 group of Boston fans chirped at us. Still, we shook their hands and wished them a good game, they were stunned that we didn't try to chirp back. They wished us good luck too. We didn't feel insulted, a bit a chirping against us was more than fair game considering the circumstances.

We had no trouble at the game. I remember that Habs were in big winning streak (more than 10 in a row?) against the Bruins and this is the night it ended. I don't recall* anything bad from the fans there. Some Bs fans may have laughed or taunt us a bit, but we couldn't blame them. They just exorcised their demons.

Of course, we were 10 guys/men between 21 & 30 years old. We were probably not an easy target and that (is probably) may be why it went smoothly. Still, as much as I hate Boston, I could say I loved my experience there for a weekend and their fans were classier than expected.

Sadly, after reading that kind of stuff, I wouldn't try going back with my girlfriend for a playoffs game. Good thing they're not in the playoffs anymore!

*Boston nightlife MAY have helped us forget a few things

You didn't get picked on because they're "Boston Strong" and wouldn't dare pick on 10 guys. Like team, like fans :shakehead

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The one time I went to a Habs/Leafs game in Montreal, I saw a fistfight break out amongst a group of Habs & Leafs fans, in the stands, during play. It's not just in Boston that fans go crazy.

Security only threw out the guys in Leafs jerseys that night; it seemed funny at the time but they seriously dropped the ball. The whole lot of them, on both sides, should've been ejected.

I'd never be crazy enough to go to games in Boston or Philly wearing a Habs jersey. I think anywhere else would be fine.

You'd be a dolt to do it and not expect trouble.

Perhaps, but that is still bullying. Maybe some enlightened individual could write a book that opposes bullying......

Last edited:

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Let's just say that i'm just happy it wasn't me. I probably would have kicked someone in the head and got into trouble :laugh:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
FWIW, I didn't really particularly HATE any team. I mean I disliked a few in terms of like "damn, let's not lose to those leafs, that would suck" type of dislike at the time.

Then a family member watched a game in Boston...take a guess if my zero hate situation still exists.

It should be noted that there are idiots everywhere and issues can happy at any game at any time. That being said I don't think a Boston fan in the Bell Center is like a Montreal fan in TD Garden. Sorry to say it because I don't believe it's really a "it's the same everywhere". It EXISTS everywhere but TD Garden is a rough building for a Habs fan.

The Bruins are partly responsible for the rough atmosphere by allowing the psychotic Jack Edwards to be an official broadcaster and coach Claude Julien to constantly whine about Montreal. When the team itself scapegoats another club, you can't be surprised that fans follow along.

How did Edwards and Julien react to the incident when Chara pursued Pacioretty for two months until he broke Max's neck? How did Julien and Edwards and the club deal with Mark Recchi basically saying that Max was faking - AFTER his hospital stay and some surgery?

I didn't hear Julien or any Boston official call out Lucic for embarrassing himself and the team in the handshake line this week. If PK Subban did that, Therrien and Bergevin would be all over him.

When Matt Cooke behaved badly while in a Pittsburgh uniform, Mario Lemieux and the Penguins called him out on it. When did the Bruins do similar honourable things?

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Closing this. Fed up of hearing about Boston/MTL series.
Also - this stuff happens in alot of arenas. Just because it isnt reported, doesnt mean it doesnt happen. So lets stop painting a picture of Bruins fans as the only ones who do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad