OT: Habs fans in Ottawa

MontrealFans

Apr 4, 2004
I live in Ottawa because it's not Toronto and Montreal and I would much rather stay here but then again that's just what I prefer everyone is different and everyone has different definitions of boring why argue with taste.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
With Rogers in Ottawa , you need to buy a 29$ add on to get RDS. For a student like me, i cant really afford that. You can watch the games on CBC on saturdays, but other than that... Online streams are your bestfriend.

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
It be late to jump in this discussion but people should not be confused with a nice place to live vs an entertaining place.

I have lived in Montreal, Gatineau and I now live in the west end of Ottawa. Ottawa in my opinion is the nicest place to live in by a significant margin... But it's not the most entertaining place as pointed earlier. The nice thing about intertainment is that its easy to drive and get it somewhere else if you are not entirely happy with what is arround you. If you want to see a show or go in a Bar in Mtl, it's still only a 2h drive.

There is lots to do in Ottawa and as previous posters mentionned a lot more now then before. If you go there for work you will like it and you will definitively like paying a lot less income tax for more services then what you would get the other side of the river.

Also for the tv channels you can get them in french as well. Its a little more expensive then the other side of the river if you want all the frech channels as well as the english channels.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
It be late to jump in this discussion but people should not be confused with a nice place to live vs an entertaining place.

I have lived in Montreal, Gatineau and I now live in the west end of Ottawa. Ottawa in my opinion is the nicest place to live in by a significant margin... But it's not the most entertaining place as pointed earlier. The nice thing about intertainment is that its easy to drive and get it somewhere else if you are not entirely happy with what is arround you. If you want to see a show or go in a Bar in Mtl, it's still only a 2h drive.

There is lots to do in Ottawa and as previous posters mentionned a lot more now then before. If you go there for work you will like it and you will definitively like paying a lot less income tax for more services then what you would get the other side of the river.

Also for the tv channels you can get them in french as well. Its a little more expensive then the other side of the river if you want all the frech channels as well as the english channels.

Pretty much this, it's only a 1.5-2hr drive to Montreal worst case scenario. The only thing that concerns me isn't paying extra for RDS, couldn't care less. It's actually the fact that videotron isn't available in OTT, and frankly, I would never go with Bell, Rogers, etc.

Even Erik Karlsson commented on twitter about what a joke the internet is in Ottawa. I'm a big time geek and use my internet for work, I can't afford to wait 1 week for Bell to get the stick out of their ass and send a technician my way. Videotron fixes my issue immediately on the rare occurrence that there is one.

Analyzer*

What's the name of new CFL team in Ottawa again? :sarcasm:

The Ottawa "We're not going to exist in 2 years, but the city swears it loves its football."

Ottawa sucks. It's a terrible city. I would gladly trade you DDO for this piece of crap town, which is a lot like Ottawa, except smaller.

I ****ing hate bell, but you watch their games your best bet would be them. You can get TVASports, Sportsnet AND RDS.

RDS comes with the TSN package, unless they change that **** up again.

The internet in this area IS a joke. If I'm not mistaken the bell towers are in Montreal and Pembroke. Basically 2ish hours away in both directions.

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
Pretty much this, it's only a 1.5-2hr drive to Montreal worst case scenario. The only thing that concerns me isn't paying extra for RDS, couldn't care less. It's actually the fact that videotron isn't available in OTT, and frankly, I would never go with Bell, Rogers, etc.

Even Erik Karlsson commented on twitter about what a joke the internet is in Ottawa. I'm a big time geek and use my internet for work, I can't afford to wait 1 week for Bell to get the stick out of their ass and send a technician my way. Videotron fixes my issue immediately on the rare occurrence that there is one.

Go with Teksavvy then, while it uses Bell/Rogers network to backhaul your internet, nothing is throttled and there service have 300G per month by default. There are definitively other options. I regularly work from home and the west of ottawa is as high tech as you can get in Cananda.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Ottawa is crawling with Habs fans and a ton of their games are on the tube. It's not a bad city to raise kids in but I still feel more invigorated when in Montreal or Toronto. The "town that fun forgot" moniker is actually not that inaccurate but if you enjoy getting out in the country it's much easier to do from here than from Montreal.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
With Rogers in Ottawa , you need to buy a 29$ add on to get RDS. For a student like me, i cant really afford that. You can watch the games on CBC on saturdays, but other than that... Online streams are your bestfriend.

really i live in ottawa its only 2$ a month on shaw

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
really i live in ottawa its only 2$ a month on shaw

Depending where you are in Ottawa, you can't get shaw. If your anywhere close to downtown, you can only get Rogers or Bell for tv. If your near Rockland, chances are you can get Videotron.

I've had zero issues with the internet with Bell Fibe. Maybe I'm just lucky, who knows.

If you get Bell, you will get 80% of the games even without the french channels because of CBC Montreal and TSN Montreal. The games you don't get you can stream or go to a pub.

Habs Homer

Hello
Jan 24, 2013
Playa Del Carmen
I like Ottawa. It's a nice and clean city. However, what I like about Montreal, is you can have a debate to which place as the best oysters at 1PM for lunch or which after hour bar or best poutine joint is best to go at 5AM . As far as variety goes and night life, it's not even comparable, it's very cosmopolite. However, I don't live anymore in Montreal cause it gets old after a few years. And it's fair to say that many areas of Montreal are ugly, poor and dirty.

The snowbirds show in Ottawa is impressive and I'm a plane fan and the aviation museum is great, love the city and I go at least once a year.

habitue*

If you're going to attend a hockey game (or other events) at the Canadian Tire Centre, you have to be VERY patient when you are driving out of the parking. It takes sometimes one hour just to get on the Queensway (417). The CTC is quite far from Downtown and from Gatineau. Not an ideal location for sure, and not lot of pubs/restaurants around there too.

As for the City and the Gatineau/Ottawa area, it's a great place to make outdoor activities and raise a family. You never far from a bike path or a ski slope or cross country skiing path. Great access to the Rideau, Ottawa and Gatineau Rivers too. Lots of lakes on the Quebec side. Great Museums too and some very fine restaurants.

Valois

Feb 12, 2012
Ottawa
I'm from Ottawa and watch plenty of Habs games as well as the Sens. We're not "alive" like Montreal, by the way, but Ottawa isn't really boring like the stereotypes either.

You can get RDS and TVA with Rogers and I think you can get RDS with bell too. Plenty of bars will show Habs games and even fly the flag during playoffs, and you can watch Habs home games live at Canadian Tire Centre.

melnyk budget*

Im from ottawa but living in montreal for school and honestly i cant wait to go back. Downtown montreal is great but all the political bs in quebec is not worth it..

Theres no problem finding hab fans in ottawa...

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
I grew up and currently live in Ottawa but have lived in a few different places around Canada and a few other countries-- never Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto though. If you're looking to raise a family then Ottawa is a fantastic city as it has a decent mix of big city experiences with small town values but, if you're not, it will be what you make of it.

The great part about the size of the city is that everything is fairly accessible and being not big but not small means that any community you choose to join will be very tight-nit. I seldom run into people who are not happy to have a conversation about a mutual interest and I find it fairly easy to meet people there so as long as you're willing to put yourself out there and share your interests, Habs or otherwise, you will enjoy Ottawa. You may miss some things about Montreal or other larger cities but there's a lot of good in Ottawa, it just is not as apparent as other cities.

Also, if you can, get here for July. Starting with Canada Day and Bluesfest (if you're not into Blues it's fine, it's our defacto general music festival), there's a lot to do here over that month.

Good luck with the move.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm most likely going to me moving to Ottawa in the next year or two.

I was curious to what channels can you get in Ottawa? Is RDS available? TVA? (since I think they'll have most Habs games?)

Also, is there any good places to see the games that have lots of Habs fans?

The Canadian Tire Centre is decent since the tickets are ridiculously cheap. I stream games so not too sure about channels, plus I just moved here 6 months ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad