OT: Habs fans in Ottawa

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
I'm most likely going to me moving to Ottawa in the next year or two.

I was curious to what channels can you get in Ottawa? Is RDS available? TVA? (since I think they'll have most Habs games?)

Also, is there any good places to see the games that have lots of Habs fans?

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
I'm in Ottawa, big time Habs fan and yes you can get RDS and TVA sports with rogers I watch it all the time, as for places to watch the games that I'm not sure I'm too young to go to bars :P Have to be 19 here in ontario.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I'm most likely going to me moving to Ottawa in the next year or two.

I was curious to what channels can you get in Ottawa? Is RDS available? TVA? (since I think they'll have most Habs games?)

Also, is there any good places to see the games that have lots of Habs fans?

You know, don't listen to people that says that Ottawa is boring. If they think it's boring, I actually have to question either their judgment or their actual knowledge of Ottawa. I've been to montreal and toronto and I find neither more exciting in any way. Actually the only difference is that we have way less traffic. We also will get a CFL team along with a pro soccer team this summer. They will play in the new Landsdown Stadium right in Centretown.

So to answer your question, yes you can get TVA sport, RDS/RDS2, along with TSN Montreal for most habs games in english, CBC Ottawa and CBC Montreal so you get the Montreal feed for HNIC.

I have Bell, and I'm sure you can get most if not all of those with Rogers too.

We have a lot of pubs most with a pretty massive selection of microbrews and I mean a lot of pubs. You can watch the habs games there as there are many many Habs fans in Ottawa. Chez Lucien (corner of Murray/Dalhousie) is Habs central. Gatineau, QC is a 10 minutes drive, so all the french sports bars will have the Habs game on too. We have a RealSport also.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
You know, don't listen to people that says that Ottawa is boring. If they think it's boring, I actually have to question either their judgment or their actual knowledge of Ottawa. I've been to montreal and toronto and I find neither more exciting in any way. Actually the only difference is that we have way less traffic. We also will get a CFL team along with a pro soccer team this summer. They will play in the new Landsdown Stadium right in Centretown.

So to answer your question, yes you can get TVA sport, RDS/RDS2, along with TSN Montreal for most habs games in english, CBC Ottawa and CBC Montreal so you get the Montreal feed for HNIC.

We have a lot of pubs most with a pretty massive selection of microbrews and I mean a lot of pubs. You can watch the habs games there as there are many many Habs fans in Ottawa. Chez Lucien (corner of Murray/Dalhousie) is Habs central. Gatineau, QC is a 10 minutes drive, so all the french sports bars will have the Habs game on too. We have a RealSport also.

Loll sorry but I lived all my life in Hull and... Ottawa is a boring town, that goes to sleep at 6PM. And its NOTHING close to MTL.

As for the OPs question, Gatineau is still a Habs town, so all the bars/pubs show habs games and its usually crowded for rivalry or playoffs games.

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC

Thanks a bunch. Great help compared to most :laugh:

Really not much I can do, it's for my job. Although I don't mind getting away from QC anyway.

Rest in RIP buddy. You will die from boredom.

Rest in Rest in Peace? :sarcasm:

habsrock76

Sep 21, 2006
Ottawa
Rogers in Ottawa doesn't offer the TSN "Montreal Regional Coverage" for most of the English game feeds, only Bell offers that option.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Loll sorry but I lived all my life in Hull and... Ottawa is a boring town, that goes to sleep at 6PM. And its NOTHING close to MTL.

As for the OPs question, Gatineau is still a Habs town, so all the bars/pubs show habs games and its usually crowded for rivalry or playoffs games.

I know right? I was in shock when I read the post you're quoting. Sorry but... where did you go in Montreal, the west island? Where did you go in Toronto, some town on the outskirts of the GTA?

Sorry but OTT is a nice city and all, I actually wouldn't mind moving there. But to make it sound comparable to Toronto or Montreal is outright laughable. It isn't even close.

Now, I do know some folks exaggerate how quiet a town it is, but I don't blame them when the comparison is Montreal. It's a huge stretch to even claim Ottawa is in the same stratosphere as Montreal as cities go, let alone that they're pretty much equal.

Dieing of boredom is also a huge stretch too though. It's a 1.5 hour drive to Montreal. It isn't like you'd be moving to Saskatoon.

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
I know right? I was in shock when I read the post you're quoting. Sorry but... where did you go in Montreal, the west island? Where did you go in Toronto, some town on the outskirts of the GTA?

If that's the case, I've lived in the West Island almost all my life, so I guess it won't be a huge change and will be easy to adapt. :laugh:

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com

Hum... maybe you need to look a little harder in/around Ottawa. Anyway, it's your opinion. I've lived in Gatineau most of my life but always hung out in Ottawa. There's ton of stuff to do. Museums, movie festivals, music festivals, tons of pubs, theatre, the rideau canal, plus it's close to gatineau park . So yeah, I don't know what's so boring but whatever.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
If that's the case, I've lived in the West Island almost all my life, so I guess it won't be a huge change and will be easy to adapt. :laugh:

Same here, that's why I used it as an example. Comparing Montreal to Ottawa is a laughable comparison. I realize OTT peeps have small town syndrome and want to consider their town equal but it just isn't.

That isn't to say it isn't a better city in a lot of ways, but in terms of entertainment and such, it's a fair assessment to make the Montreal is a less boring city.

Hum... maybe you need to look a little harder in/around Ottawa. Anyway, it's your opinion. I've lived in Gatineau most of my life but always hung out in Ottawa. There's ton of stuff to do. Museums, movie festivals, music festivals, tons of pubs, theatre, the rideau canal, plus it's close to gatineau park . So yeah, I don't know what's so boring but whatever.

I don't think the issue people have is that you said Ottawa isn't boring. I'm sure you're probably right that the stereotype isn't true. It's the fact that you say you've been to Toronto/Montreal and see no real difference.

Well, there's quite a big difference, some positive and some negative. Makes me wonder if you stayed in the outskirts of the city where it's less populous because Ottawa can't really be compared to big cities like Montreal and Toronto imo.

EDIT: Just as an example, the west island of Montreal has roughly 1/3 of the population of the entire city of Ottawa, and it's on the outskirts of the city. This is why I asked if you went to one of these types of places, then I could understand the comparison. Population isn't everything though, just pointing out that a smaller city will have some benefits and negatives and entertainment at least in this instance seems to be one of the many benefits of a bigger city.

Last edited:

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

Sorry but OTT is a nice city and all, I actually wouldn't mind moving there. But to make it sound comparable to Toronto or Montreal is outright laughable. It isn't even close.

Now, I do know some folks exaggerate how quiet a town it is, but I don't blame them when the comparison is Montreal. It's a huge stretch to even claim Ottawa is in the same stratosphere as Montreal as cities go, let alone that they're pretty much equal.

Dieing of boredom is also a huge stretch too though. It's a 1.5 hour drive to Montreal. It isn't like you'd be moving to Saskatoon.

I wouldn't call it exaggeration.. there's a km2 in the Market and a stretch of Elgin that can be lively on Friday's and Saturday's, but only when its not too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer, because ppl in Ottawa stay at home when its not comfortable outside. They've been trying to bring back Sparks street to life for a decade now, and once all the public servants are back in BBQHeaven at 5h30, the place is completely empty.

Proving my point, the first thing you mention is museums : P

As for the other things you mention... ottawa has a movie festival, but nothing close to TO's. Ottawa's got the Bluesfest, where you have to wait in line an hour to get in and can only buy two beers at a time, making you miss the entire show just to get beers (no vendors walking around like in MTL). The city is so stuck up its enraging.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Same here, that's why I used it as an example. Comparing Montreal to Ottawa is a laughable comparison. I realize OTT peeps have small town syndrome and want to consider their town equal but it just isn't.

That isn't to say it isn't a better city in a lot of ways, but in terms of entertainment and such, it's a fair assessment to make the Montreal is a less boring city.

I guess it depends what type of entertainment you like. I've been to montreal hundreds of times. I have lots of friends living there. I just don't get what Montreal has that is more exciting. We have the same stuff, just less people. It's probably a little more spread out than it is in Montreal. I'm not saying it's as big as montreal, just saying I don't find anything more exciting in Montreal. meh, to each their own.

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
Well, all I really cared for were if the channels for the Habs games easily accessible. And it seems that they are so, yeah. Don't have to start a Montreal vs Ottawa debate. :laugh:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Public workers rimes more with glasses, paperwork and good grades than anything sports related. Thats why theres no CFL and that the Sens have been struggling to make a single $ of profit forever.

Might as well to hang out in Gatineau's sports bars.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I guess it depends what type of entertainment you like. I've been to montreal hundreds of times. I have lots of friends living there. I just don't get what Montreal has that is more exciting. We have the same stuff, just less people. It's probably a little more spread out than it is in Montreal. I'm not saying it's as big as montreal, just saying I don't find anything more exciting in Montreal. meh, to each their own.

Fair enough. Like you said, it depends on what your idea of fun is. For some people, going fishing on a lake is more entertaining than 100 strip clubs, and they'd prefer Saskatchewan. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess, like you said to each their own.

I'm probably going to move to OTT eventually too, so it isn't like I'm against OTT or something, hell, I hope you're right and it's a lot better than I've been told. Two of my friends went to school there and pretty much confirm what people are saying here, but I'll reserve judgment for when I actually experience OTT more.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't call it exaggeration.. there's a km2 in the Market and a stretch of Elgin that can be lively on Friday's and Saturday's, but only when its not too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer, because ppl in Ottawa stay at home when its not comfortable outside. They've been trying to bring back Sparks street to life for a decade now, and once all the public servants are back in BBQHeaven at 5h30, the place is completely empty.

Proving my point, the first thing you mention is museums : P

As for the other things you mention... ottawa has a movie festival, but nothing close to TO's. Ottawa's got the Bluesfest, where you have to wait in line an hour to get in and can only buy two beers at a time, making you miss the entire show just to get beers (no vendors walking around like in MTL). The city is so stuck up its enraging.

Wow dude. Sparks, Market and Elgin. That's like a 5km radius... have you ever been further than that in Ottawa? haha come on, dude. Do you realize how big Ottaw is?

We have way more than one movie festival. Westfest (great bands and it's free), Bluesfest, Folkfest are just a couple of the festivals (they all have vendors walking around by the way). Anyway, it's your opinion, and that's fine.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Public workers rimes more with glasses, paperwork and good grades than anything sports related. Thats why theres no CFL and that the Sens have been struggling to make a single $ of profit forever.

Might as well to hang out in Gatineau's sports bars.

We are getting a CFL team and a NASL soccer team this summer. We also have a professional Basketball team and a AA baseball team. And yes we all have glasses and good grades.... :help:

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Fair enough. Like you said, it depends on what your idea of fun is. For some people, going fishing on a lake is more entertaining than 100 strip clubs, and they'd prefer Saskatchewan. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess, like you said to each their own.

I'm probably going to move to OTT eventually too, so it isn't like I'm against OTT or something, hell, I hope you're right and it's a lot better than I've been told. Two of my friends went to school there and pretty much confirm what people are saying here, but I'll reserve judgment for when I actually experience OTT more.

I'll agree, if you're a student, I suppose your entertainment will be more about dance bars and partying than pubs, museums, festivals and camping. So it may look boring throught the eyes of a 20 year old.

We do have a lot of shows (indie, punk, hip-hop, etc) in Ottawa, a lot more than we used to 10-20 years ago.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I'll agree, if you're a student, I suppose your entertainment will be more about dance bars and partying than pubs, museums, festivals and camping. So it may look boring throught the eyes of a 20 year old.

We do have a lot of shows (indie, punk, hip-hop, etc) in Ottawa, a lot more than we used to 10-20 years ago.

That's why I reacted when you said Ottawa is on par with MTL in your first post lol... Ottawa is a quiet town that's great for raising a family, MTL is a party town where you go to have fun. The two are not comparable.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
We are getting a CFL team and a NASL soccer team this summer. We also have a professional Basketball team and a AA baseball team. And yes we all have glasses and good grades.... :help:

Youre generalizing what ive said and there has been CFL ottawa teams that didnt last in the recent past. And I bet the NASL wont last in Ottawa for 10 years.

Nobody should care about the NASL its a miracle that it grew to a MLS team here. Probably wouldn't of happened if the owner of the impact wasn't a multi-billionaire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad