Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat Jersey's new jersey in New Jersey. Break 12 game winless streak again them in regulation. Wings for all!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Sucks to close the gap on the devils, but it's a breath of fresh air to have legit optimism that we've got an elite coach in place.
Elite coach? He came in with the lowest expectations on a team that had nothing to lose. So he gave more minutes to young talented players, what a concept. It’s easy to look good following Ducharme. Wait until next season to make an actual judgment.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hope Dvorak stays, kid has looked very good last few games!
DVO is a good 3c and is a lot better than he shown for most of the year. He’s playing better. This season is a pass. I’m confident he will have a much better showing next season.

I think he could be a useful player going forward. If not as 3c, as a winger who can take draws, especially on the first wave of the PP, where he plays well in front of the net.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I think he could be a useful player going forward. If not as 3c, as a winger who can take draws, especially on the first wave of the PP, where he plays well in front of the net.
He’s a perfect 3c. They need to find a 2c this summer. If they do the C position will start to solidify.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s a perfect 3c. They need to find a 2c this summer. If they do the C position will start to solidify.

Yeah, if(when) we find the 2c, it will between Evans, Poehling, and Dvo for 3c. I'm not sure Dvo's footspeed is enough to be great defensively, which is what I'd want in a 3c. It's a concern for me before I can anoint him a good 3c. But because he does other things well, I don't have a problem with him being a part of the future, even if that would mean being on the wing.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah, if(when) we find the 2c, it will between Evans, Poehling, and Dvo for 3c. I'm not sure Dvo's footspeed is enough to be great defensively, which is what I'd want in a 3c. It's a concern for me before I can anoint him a good 3c. But because he does other things well, I don't have a problem with him being a part of the future, even if that would mean being on the wing.

Poehling isn’t part of the future. Just don’t see him amounting to much at all. In fact, he’s miles behind Evans. IMO, he is looking more and more like a bad pick.

Reactions: amethyst and ReHabs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Elite coach? He came in with the lowest expectations on a team that had nothing to lose. So he gave more minutes to young talented players, what a concept. It’s easy to look good following Ducharme. Wait until next season to make an actual judgment.

You missed the point.

Shallow assessment will of course lead to a shallow take... so understandably, you might not see the reasons for optimism. Maybe next year indeed lol

Reactions: Habs Halifax

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling isn’t part of the future. Just don’t see him amounting to much at all. In fact, he’s miles behind Evans. IMO, he is looking more and more like a bad pick.

Note Evan's is 3 more years out from his draft year than is Poehling.

Poehling is in his D+5 season and is almost point per game last year and this year in the AHL.

In Evan's D+5 season he was a rookie in the AHL. Then the following season in his D+6 season, he played in the AHL, before a short call up. Both seasons in the A he wasn't point per game, despite being older than Poehling.

Evan's has since played the last two seaons, his D+7 and D+8 seasons, in the NHL. Those will be the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons for Poehling.

Imo, Poehling was starting to get comfortable before his last injury. I'm looking forward to seeing him get comfortable again. But yes, he may be a bust. I want to see more of him though, particularly with offensive players. He's made some great passes this year for assists, like the last Ylonen goal and an Armia goal earlier in the season.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
PK Subban’s sharp slide into irrelevancy has made it quite easy to let go of hard feelings. I can be thankful for that.

Reactions: 26Mats

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
PK Subban’s sharp slide into irrelevancy has made it quite easy to let go of hard feelings. I can be thankful for that.
I feel the same way. I still hate the trade though and I hate Bergevin for making that trade. The way they ran his name through the mud and tried to paint him as some sort of cancer was disgusting. There's people that still believe that nonsense.

Pierre LeBrun was talking during one of the intermissions about how much the NJ organization likes PK and values his leadership. That doesn't sound like a locker room cancer to me.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Straight line he was nothing special but PK's edge work in his early years was top notch. He could turn on a dime and forecheckers couldn't touch him. He was strong on the puck too.
Straight line was good, agility was insane. He slowed down a bit with the muscle mass and a lot when his back went out.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The habs have had a series of coaches who damaged young players and took the tun out of the game. Let’s at least appreciate St-Louis for not doing so.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hope Dvorak stays, kid has looked very good last few games!

Some fans need to chill with the being an expert on the low and high points of he rollercoaster ride. Dvorak is a prime example of it. He's a solid middle 2C IMO and what we seen in the 1st half is not the real indication of who he is. Lots of players were drowning on our roster this year. Armia is another.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The habs have had a series of coaches who damaged young players and took the tun out of the game. Let’s at least appreciate St-Louis for not doing so.

There is a clear change in system. I use to call Julien/Ducharme's system a clutter attack. They were clearly instructed to play tight together where the wingers could not spread out wide which spread out the other teams D in transition. And the coaches are not obsessed with assignments or demotions when a player makes a mistake.

Horrible development from Therrien/Julien/Ducharme. Letting the players play a little more loose will give them confidence and their game matures. Once our youth gets a little older and we are ready for contention, tighten up the D a little more cause it will be required but never get obsessed with it again. Diversity is the answer in many ways of life and in Hockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Devils lost to us but the Flyers won. Can't get our way all the time I guess. Leafs will be playing us hard tomorrow. I'm expecting a L

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I am puzzled on Poehling. I don't think he was a bad pick at that stage of the draft and he did have good development before turning pro. He is tracking depth type though and not sure what else we could have done to develop him better once he turned pro.

Not over yet but he needs to start showing his potential or he's going to be a bottom 6F or even 4th line guy. Personally, I would like to see him in a more stable role. It's been a yoyo ride for him

Reactions: Redux91

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I think Dvorak can be a 2C for us in a pinch, or while we continue to grow. But I love him as a 3C. If we can get another centre via draft (wright) or somehow via free agency/trade, we need to do that. If we don't get one this year, we should allow Dvorak to continue as 2C for one more year until Bedard arrives :naughty::nod::sarcasm:

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Dvorak can be a 2C for us in a pinch, or while we continue to grow. But I love him as a 3C. If we can get another centre via draft (wright) or somehow via free agency/trade, we need to do that. If we don't get one this year, we should allow Dvorak to continue as 2C for one more year until Bedard arrives :naughty::nod::sarcasm:

During our rebuild and youth movement, He's a good piece to have behind Suzuki. Just not a guy we will have for contending years in 3-5+ year range. Maybe but probably not. His best seasons are now and the rest of that term. I like having him around cause he's a guy other teams will call us about and I do expect us to get more futures in a trade for him.

Age 26 with 3 more seasons left at $4.45M. Teams looking for a value contract at center will be calling us but we have to have a replacement plan if we move him. Depth behind Suzuki is week and even if we draft Wright, we are going to need a vet type of center in the mix of them two. Dvorak fits.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
During our rebuild and youth movement, He's a good piece to have behind Suzuki. Just not a guy we will have for contending years in 3-5+ year range. Maybe but probably not. His best seasons are now and the rest of that term. I like having him around cause he's a guy other teams will call us about and I do expect us to get more futures in a trade for him.

Age 26 with 3 more seasons left at $4.45M. Teams looking for a value contract at center will be calling us but we have to have a replacement plan if we move him. Depth behind Suzuki is week and even if we draft Wright, we are going to need a vet type of center in the mix of them two. Dvorak fits.
I miss Dan-o. Wish we could have given him that term and role. Seemed like such an established guy and leader for the youngsters during last years run (pizza was fun). But I guess he didn't want to be third liner. Ironically he will (or already is) in LA behind Byfield and Kopitar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I miss Dan-o. Wish we could have given him that term and role. Seemed like such an established guy and leader for the youngsters during last years run (pizza was fun). But I guess he didn't want to be third liner. Ironically he will (or already is) in LA behind Byfield and Kopitar.

I was on these boards defending Danault over and over again. Suzuki/Danault was a great 1/2 punch and some on our fan base needs to apologize for that they said. Calling him a 3C and not even worth $4M type BS. They are out there and they were looking at offensive production where he was clearly being heavily used in a defensive role. 60-80% of D zone starts and he was likely carrying Gallaher where posters argued it was the other way around. The guy just brings it each and every shift and that was overlooked by many.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs will lose to us like they always do. They're done caring.

They are making the play-offs and Matthews has the goal record for the Leafs. Fait accomplit.

I hope we do beat them but I want the L. Rather stay bottom 3 and the Devils are not trending well. Good chance we are bottom 4 now but that could slip to the 5th or 6th pick if a team behind us leap frogs us in the lottery.

I guess that there is a waive of talent so we are getting someone of value regardless? Hope so.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I was on these boards defending Danault over and over again. Suzuki/Danault was a great 1/2 punch and some on our fan base needs to apologize for that they said. Calling him a 3C and not even worth $4M type BS. They are out there and they were looking at offensive production where he was clearly being heavily used in a defensive role. 60-80% of D zone starts and he was likely carrying Gallaher where posters argued it was the other way around. The guy just brings it each and every shift and that was overlooked by many.
I wanted Suzuki and KK as our 1-2 with Danualt as #3. I still think that could have happened here, but c'est la vie!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wanted Suzuki and KK as our 1-2 with Danualt as #3. I still think that could have happened here, but c'est la vie!

Took Bergevin 12 years to have 3 centers like that and in a blink of an eye, he lost it and was left with Suzuki and Dvorak. Not a Bergevin hater but man... he just could not escape the brain cramp moves from time to time.

I also remember saying this.... "Those who think loosing Danault is meh are agreeing with Bergevin so are you nervous by that?" :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad