Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat isles with 4 goal second period

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree that Dach and Slaf have both exploded after their stint with Suze. Is it a coincidence? Can we say the same thing about Newhook? Clearly we can for RHP.
It can be said for many players. And in the case of both Dach and Newhook they were at their most productive right before getting hurt. Newhook had I think 4 goals and five points in his last six. Dach was 9 goals and 15 points in his last 18.

Injuries to those guys were just tragic.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was absolutely brutal.
I'll stand pat thank you. I said his best "stretch of games" and I'm not wrong.
It was never going to last however Petry being Petry.
He was often bad on the second pairing as well you know.

I'll agree he is not in the right chair but Matheson is often bad no matter what line he's matched up against.

Reactions: Runner77

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I havent read the post before but ill assume youre talking about MM.

Its a f***ing insult that youd say even the bad version of Subban is comparable to Matheson. Subban would pocket Matheson anyday offensively and its not evem funny. Theyre not close at all, and of course defensively its a f***ing joke.

Matheson is f***ing bad, in a 4-0 blow out game he found a way to be - f***ing 3.

I was having such a good night before you mentioned Matheson.
Haha man, I'm on your side here... I'm saying back when PK detractors shit on him all of the time for "not playing defense" and being too risky when he actually wasn't at all, that's what Matheson is.

Keep having a good night, we agree.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Haha man, I'm on your side here... I'm saying back when PK detractors shit on him all of the time for "not playing defense" and being too risky when he actually wasn't at all, that's what Matheson is.

Keep having a good night, we agree.
My Favorite PK moment of all time was when we were playing Tampa Bay in the Playoffs. PK was defending like a dog on a bone playing his man very hard.
JJ f***ing no clue how to defend Daigneault yelled something at him worried about him taking a penalty and PK lit into him.
Like "leave me the f*** alone I've got this man". For me that moment in time sealed his fate here with our coachung staff.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I do have pretty thick glasses.
Confirmed.. H10H is Bubbles. :)

Bubbles.gif

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll stand pat thank you. I said his best "stretch of games" and I'm not wrong.
It was never going to last however Petry being Petry.
He was often bad on the second pairing as well you know.

I'll agree he is not in the right chair but Matheson is often bad no matter what line he's matched up against.
I mean it was discussed at length how bad his game went South once he was put in that chair. He looked nothing like the same player. And that’s what happens when guys are asked to do too much.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
It's taken awhile. But I love how MSL has slowly fed Slaf ice time. Some players seem to learn slower than others. I don't think Slaf is a quick learner. So MSL slowly feeding him ice time and information, really seems to be working for him.
He's slow? The kid is 19 and is already playing very good NHL hockey...I would think, by any metric, he rates as a quick learner...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I mean it was discussed at length how bad his game went South once he was put in that chair. He looked nothing like the same player. And that’s what happens when guys are asked to do too much.
Dude I'm talking pre SCF and pre Ducharme. There was a stretch of games where the talk was exactly the opposite.
We were all amazed at how good he looked at the time.

That is what a stretch of games means. He also had a majority of games afterwards where he was conplete dog shit.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jackets and Sabres agreed.

Ducks have a very good future. They're well on their way to getting another top pick, like forward again.

We'll see about the Ducks. They picked in the Top-10 5 years in a row, with 2 of those picks being Top-3.

2019: Zegras @ 9th
2020: Drysdale @ 6th
2021: McTavish @ 3rd
2022: Mintyukov @ 10th
2023: Carlsson @ 3rd

These guys are all studs. But Ducks are still last in the Western Conference. If Habs had picks in similar spots 5 years in a row and they're still last in the Division in the 6th year, we wouldn't be happy and we'd demand for heads to roll.

Sens are in the middle. They have some talent, but they're on their way to be absolute trash again.

And they have some legit game breaking talent in Stutzle and Tkachuk, as well as Norris and Batherson. Some studs on D in Chabot, Sanderson & Chychrun, along with some good vets like Giroux and Tarasenko.

What they need now more than ever is a coaching change. And that could be what takes them to the next level that we expect them to be. But regardless of all that, they're still at the bottom.

Which reiterates my point, that I'd rather be the Habs right now than the Sens.

And you're right winning is great and better than losing and not having a future.

Just missing the playoffs does nothing for those who want to win and those who want to lose.

For me, missing the playoffs by less than last year is a step in the right direction. Meaning that if they end up picking 11th or 12th, it means that the team progressed. And there are a lot of good players who can be taken in that spot. One good example was in front of us tonight in Dobson, who was taken 12th OA.

Seeing the Habs lose most games, but be competitive and lose just because they're not quite good enough would be perfect. For me anyways

I want them playing well whether they win or lose. Because playing well even in losses is a step in the right direction. But we can't expect them to play well and not want them to get wins. We don't want them getting numb to it because they keep losing.

Habs now have a 7-game road trip coming up. This could very well be what makes or breaks them.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He's slow? The kid is 19 and is already playing very good NHL hockey...I would think, by any metric, he rates as a quick learner...
Not slow as in mentally challenged. More slow as in having to be shown something more than once, before he's able to do it. For example, how many times did you watch Slaf skate with the puck, with his head down?

Which is why I can see now why MSL took his time, slowly increasing his ice time. He didn't play this way from the beginning. He's slowly improved to the point where we can now call him a good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad