Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat isles with 4 goal second period

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This.

Matheson is 62th when ranked by dmen cap hit

7th in ice time, 18th in points...

He's paid like a 2-3 dman, but used like an elite 1A.

He'd be great for us if we had another 1-2 better dmen taking up the toughest minutes.

Ppl need to chill out and see the big picture.

Yeah, Matheson is in the wrong chair. He's a 2nd pairing D-man who's being paid like it.

We're playing him as our #1. If we had a top pairing, Matheson would get far easier match-ups, but we don't, so he faces off against all the top guys, and struggles to do it.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Matheson is a guy if he took out maybe the riskiest/weirdly timed rushes from his game would be quite a spectacular D. I just get the jitters sometimes or wonder “why now, Mike?” sometimes.. pp2 perhaps with Hutson pp1 eventually?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Yeah, Matheson is in the wrong chair. He's a 2nd pairing D-man who's being paid like it.

We're playing him as our #1. If we had a top pairing, Matheson would get far easier match-ups, but we don't, so he faces off against all the top guys, and struggles to do it.
I find that half of Matheson's mistakes are self inflicted. A lot turnovers on inability to clear the puck out of the zone he creates because he overcomplicates things instead of just making a pass or skating out in a straight line.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Matheson is a guy if he took out maybe the riskiest/weirdly timed rushes from his game would be quite a spectacular D. I just get the jitters sometimes or wonder “why now, Mike?” sometimes.. pp2 perhaps with Hutson pp1 eventually?

We're getting desensitized with our D. Last year we were all pearl-clutching "omg can't have 3 rookies as regulars on D", by the end of year we were fine with 5 rookie D and this year people would be fine with 6 D with less then 100 games played.

Matheson / Savard is a 2nd pair (and not an elite one either), Matheson is the best D on the team currently but that doesn't mean we can put top pairing expectations on him (or any of our current D at their age). If he could do what you say he'd be a top pairing D but he's not.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
We're getting desensitized with our D. Last year we were all pearl-clutching "omg can't have 3 rookies as regulars on D", by the end of year we were fine with 5 rookie D and this year people would be fine with 6 D with less then 100 games played.

Matheson / Savard is a 2nd pair (and not an elite one either), Matheson is the best D on the team currently but that doesn't mean we can put top pairing expectations on him (or any of our current D at their age). If he could do what you say he'd be a top pairing D but he's not.
Well playing pp2 and putting on a “spectacle” (the only things I suggested?) could be on any pairing you like; he’s fun to watch skate and even tackle people lol.

Also I hope the upcoming rookies earn spots or get packaged for kids who could (earn spots) moving forward personally if we’re talking the next 3-5 years. Let the old guys get phased out don’t hand spots.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
2mlvxe7c5er31.jpg

That second goal he did was pure Cam Neely power forward using his body. More of that for ALL our big boys.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I havent read the post before but ill assume youre talking about MM.

Its a f***ing insult that youd say even the bad version of Subban is comparable to Matheson. Subban would pocket Matheson anyday offensively and its not evem funny. Theyre not close at all, and of course defensively its a f***ing joke.

Matheson is f***ing bad, in a 4-0 blow out game he found a way to be - f***ing 3.

I was having such a good night before you mentioned Matheson.
Matheson really isn't that bad

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Isles were sleeping until the third period and are a much better team than what we saw last night, 2nd half of a back-to-back and it showed. There are good signs from the young players on this roster and last night was a good showing from the kids. On to Winterpeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad