Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat Drouin (and the AVS)

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Bookmarking this message to revisit in 10 years when we have the longest playoff drought in NA sports, still play for 0.500 and Suzuki and Caufield are still the best players on the team but now past their prime.
You can also print it out, frame it and put it on your wall if you'd like. ;)

The team finally has some direction. Plenty of things to be positive about.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The end result was good.
There were however some super long stretches where we didn't touch the puck.
We will need to improve on that if we hope to be more entertaining.
Pretty much the same as last season we find ourselves rooting for a team who have no business being in some of the games they find themselves in.
This despite the fact that we know it probably isn't the best scenario for them come draft day.
Once the puck drops you can't help yourself when we find them scratching and clawing for a point or two.
But as I noted above, if those who are scratching and clawing are making themselves more attractive to other teams, such benefit far outweighs the drop of a few spots in the upcoming draft.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Besides their top line and top two d-men, the Avs are not that impressive. They have some key players on the injury list, and they gonna need a better #2 centerman than Johanson.
I thought they were soft and the Habs didn't even play a physical game, they were avoiding contact and blocking shots. Maybe it's the Drouin effect.

Reactions: BLONG7

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I was quite surprised to see when I looked at the boxscore that Drouin had 27:09 TOI last night. MacKinnon 28:56 TOI and Rantanen 29:18 TOI. That's a lot of ice time for a forward line.

Only 2 other Avs forwards played over 15 minutes (Colton 18:52 TOI and Johansen 15:35 TOI). Makar played the most on defense with 29:17 TOI for the Avs.
They are a one line team. Very little depth.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
that was a fun win, i still think drouin didn't deserve the ovation/appreciation..

/s

Reactions: expy

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
His quote.............was ridiculous............he got the response that made the most sense.

Everyone on here, will gladly drive him to the airport....
Sry my reply reads funny; I just meant the poster you replied to should lighten up I felt…

Watching Poulin and the girls, sorry for the asynchronous and mostly useless comments lol

Reactions: BLONG7

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Bell Center gave him an ovation during a timeout. It was very nice to see and Drouin looked genuinely touched.
When they were prompted to do so yes but during the game he was booed whenever he touched the puck. Hockey fans in Quebec are some of the most knowledgeable and passionate the world over and many of them aren't proud of his time in Montreal.

Sure but Armia would probably have us take secondary roads and country trails to get there, similar to the circuitous stylings of his game and we’d probably never get there. :sarcasm:
If only Artturi Lehkonen had Joelle Armias body.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
When they were prompted to do so yes but during the game he was booed whenever he touched the puck. Hockey fans in Quebec are some of the most knowledgeable and passionate the world over and many of them aren't proud of his time in Montreal.

If only Artturi Lehkonen had Joelle Armias body.
Knowledge or not, what's the point of it? How bitter can you be? If Drouin could have performed better with us, he would have. Noone sabotages their career for fun.

He is doing well now because he is playing with superstars and that's easy. His lineages create the space he needs to do his thing. He is still the average player that can't drive a line. He finally has a team that allows him to be that player. Good for him. Let him appreciate it.

Reactions: IndigoJeans

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
You can also print it out, frame it and put it on your wall if you'd like. ;)

The team finally has some direction. Plenty of things to be positive about.
Do they really? People are still in honeymoon phase with Hughes. He hasn't done a lot of things right if you ask me.

After 3 years, zero support provided to Suzuki and Caufield. Miss out on Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson or Mitchkov which was his most important goal. He failed at that.
Suzuki and Caufield looks like they will remain our best players for the next year as well so don't expect much improvement, maybe another mediocre season at 0.500.
The Dach trade looks interesting but Chicago traded him for the 13th overall because of his injury history. Cannot count on him going forward. If he is healthy that is a bonus.

Really going well isn't it. For a so called rebuilding team, we had no 2nd round pick at all last year.
Out of 9 picks total, 3 were goalies, 4 were over-agers and only 2 were 18 years olds (including the 5th overall). I do like one of the overage picks (Konyushkov) but the 3 goalies aren't gonna help the lack of talent on the skaters side.

If you guys are satisfied with Hughes, good for you. Everyone is free to be naive. I liked Hughes and Gorton at first as well. But he has been bad since. We are the laughing stock of the league really.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Do they really? People are still in honeymoon phase with Hughes. He hasn't done a lot of things right if you ask me.

After 3 years, zero support provided to Suzuki and Caufield. Miss out on Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson or Mitchkov which was his most important goal. He failed at that.
Suzuki and Caufield looks like they will remain our best players for the next year as well so don't expect much improvement, maybe another mediocre season at 0.500.
The Dach trade looks interesting but Chicago traded him for the 13th overall because of his injury history. Cannot count on him going forward. If he is healthy that is a bonus.

Really going well isn't it. For a so called rebuilding team, we had no 2nd round pick at all last year.
Out of 9 picks total, 3 were goalies, 4 were over-agers and only 2 were 18 years olds (including the 5th overall). I do like one of the overage picks (Konyushkov) but the 3 goalies aren't gonna help the lack of talent on the skaters side.

If you guys are satisfied with Hughes, good for you. Everyone is free to be naive. I liked Hughes and Gorton at first as well. But he has been bad since. We are the laughing stock of the league really.

You exaggerated right at the beginning. Gorton was hired either in November or December 2021, then Hughes a bit later. It can't be 3 years yet.

You have to remember exactly what he walked into as well. Price gone, Weber gone, and danault gone in one swoop. You had to know after that start which led to the bergevin firing that this was going to be a rough, long, and bumpy ride.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

1. Removed a lot of the crap left over from previous management.
2. Restocked our prospect pool
3. Accumulated a ton of draft picks over the next few seasons which can be used for trades as well as drafting. Adding Monahan and a 1st was a steal. Considering we can trade him again for more prospects/picks.

Since we were rebuilding, there really wasn't any sense in adding support for Suzuki and Caufield quite yet. In saying that, we did add Dach and Newhook. Sadly they're both injured.

I keep hearing this. For us to be in the running for Bedard, Fantilli or Carlsson. They would have had to rip the team apart, to be able to compete with Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim and Columbus. I'll give you Michkov, but he's still a couple of years away. So he wouldn't be helping us now.

With Dach, it could go either way. But I like the fact that HuGo took the chance. If healthy, we got a steal. If not, we pretty much got bent over.

Ok no 2nd rd pick last year. But how many draft picks do we have over the next few seasons?

All of those players you mentioned are more than a few years away. So passing a positive or negative judgment on them now is way too early. Hopefully Reinbacher comes over next year.

I'm satisfied with the direction the team is going. Since I'm looking at the big picture, and not what I see at this very moment. Judging people to be naive for looking positive on the teams outlook is just ignorance on your part.

Lol we are far from being the laughing stock of the league. If you want to see laughing stock. Take a look at Buffalo, Ottawa or even Toronto. All have gone through rebuilds and have accomplished nothing.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I think your sugars are way off man, along with 90% of your post.....

Have a snickers......you are just not yourself when you are hangry.....

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
When they were prompted to do so yes but during the game he was booed whenever he touched the puck.
He was booed in second and third period after the ovation and most importantly after they had a few beers in them.

Pretty sad if you ask me. The guy gave a lot back to the fans and community the whole time he was here. Why spread negativity?

For what it’s worth I was at the Bell Center, was happy to participate in the ovation even though I am not a fan of him as a player and am as disappointed as anyone at how his career in Montreal turned out, and I didn’t boo him.

I understand booing star players as a sign of respect or guys like RAY-croft to get them out of their game but I would leave this guy be and wish him the best.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He was booed in second and third period after the ovation and most importantly after they had a few beers in them.

Pretty sad if you ask me. The guy gave a lot back to the fans and community the whole time he was here. Why spread negativity?

For what it’s worth I was at the Bell Center, was happy to participate in the ovation even though I am not a fan of him as a player and am as disappointed as anyone at how his career in Montreal turned out, and I didn’t boo him.

I understand booing star players as a sign of respect or guys like RAY-croft to get them out of their game but I would leave this guy be and wish him the best.

Are you accusing me of spreading negativity because I stated a fact? The fans booed him, it was loud and clear. They booed because he was not a favorite of theirs while he was here and plenty of former players have come back and got cheered by the Bell Centre crowd.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Did back to back viewing of the Oilers and Colorado games. The Edmonton game was fun, exciting, the Colorado one was boring despite the amount of shots.
As terrible as Montreal is, they still gave the opposition a tough time, and they are supposed to be cup contenders? The leagues a joke should have 2 leagues that relegate like in football aka soccer.

Feels wrong that contenders have such a difficult time beating tanking teams as they are interested in improving their roster while the tankers sit idly by and do squat and ice undeserving players.

If last night was any indication, Joel Armia and Jake Allen want to play for the Avs.
Have to think that a lot Montreal players would probably like to move on, can't blame them.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Are you accusing me of spreading negativity because I stated a fact? The fans booed him, it was loud and clear. They booed because he was not a favorite of theirs while he was here and plenty of former players have come back and got cheered by the Bell Centre crowd.
I am not accusing you of anything. Just stating that I do not see the point of booing a player when all it accomplishes is making him feel bad. About his home city and fans. Those same people he has gone out of his way to be nice to and help out all this time. Thus how I see it, booing him is a net negative for everyone involved.

Reactions: 1909

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I am not accusing you of anything. Just stating that I do not see the point of booing a player when all it accomplishes is making him feel bad. About his home city and fans. Those same people he has gone out of his way to be nice to and help out all this time. Thus how I see it, booing him is a net negative for everyone involve

Fans boo former players in all sports so it is what it is.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad