Post-Game Talk: Habs crackin' the Kraken 4-2!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Anderson had a very strong road trip..

As I said in offseason: Habs draft pick will be in 11-17OA range - this is a .500 team.

I fear someone here didn't look at the schedule.

They are barely hanging sticking close to ,500 and allowing a bunch of goals and the schedule is getting tougher. Habs will have a top 10 pick.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Back/back game too. This group is resilient and they will avoid 3+ game loosing streaks.

They won't in the next few week. Go look at the schedule. Also, they already had a 3 game losing streak (with one loser point) a few weeks ago.

A little less than half the teams they battled so far were bottom teams. In the next 7 weeks, we will be facing mostly teams who will seriously fight for a playoff spot.

Reactions: Runner77 and the

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I painted the game against Vancouver as a W while this one was supposed to be a L
This is why I stopped betting on hockey.....

Having said that. there's only 2 NHLer with more goals at even strenght than Caufield.....and no McDavid isn't even one of them
View attachment 618203

Yup and it's also why I told others to stop predicting we will fall to bottom 5 due to a "tough schedule". We played the better team on the back/back and got the W.

Lots of outcomes are still possible and the game is played on the ice. In season team momentum/confidence and how resilient they are are a huge factor

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
That’s the least amount of shots the Habs have had in a win since December 7, 2009 when they beat Philadelphia with only 13 shots (which tied the Habs record for least amount of shots in a win).
Good on ya! thanks. I looked at the summery now and saw the Flyers only had 16 shots!! what a barn-burner,wow! If I saw that game I probably would have committed seppuku.lol.

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019
Maybe there is something we don't know since we basicaly played everyone we had that was not in the infirmary.

Maybe Xhekaj was not 100%? I agree that 4:50 usage is out of the ordinary, Arber usually gets 13-15 minutes and some 2nd unit PP time.
He wasn't supposed to dress and was in because of the Monahan injury. Really no big mystery, they played the defenceman who they planned to play and gave the extra guy a little bit of time here and there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Gotta admit, was past my bedtime and slept through the entire game. Surprised to see the results this morning. Not surprised Wright scored. From the box score and game highlights Allen with 33 stops seem to be the main reason we won.
Allen was sharp but Seattle did not impress,hard to believe they are second in the division. Montreal scored when they had a chance,unlike other games.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Well, you just have to do what most Habs fans did for the last 10 years......just blame the goalie instead and pretend the coach is the bestest in the whole NHL.

MSL won't be perfect, will make mistake (He's still a rookie in that role)......but sure as f*** better than anything we had in the last 20 years, Criticizing him is okay but remember the day we will change we might go back of having another Therrien or Ducharme cause you know, there's that criteria that forced terrible hired and as time pass us by, there's less and less of those available.
I find this current version of the Habs team seems to exhibit a strong capacity to learn from their errors. Despite not having 2-minute eating vets (Money-hands & Savard), team didn’t repeat the same errors as the night before in Van.

An isolated & limited data point, but that trend seems to be repeating thus far this season - team game shows a penchant for learning from its mistakes.

That credit goes to the coach….

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They won't in the next few week. Go look at the schedule. Also, they already had a 3 game losing streak (with one loser point) a few weeks ago.

A little less than half the teams they battled so far were bottom teams. In the next 7 weeks, we will be facing mostly teams who will seriously fight for a playoff spot.

I'm not the type to dwell on the schedule and try to predict it. I use to do that before and it usually don't fall in line like you might predict.

I do think the Habs slip a bit but not as much as some other fans think we will. First there was a lot of fans laughing at me saying we will finish bottom 5-10 or bottom 8-12 range (replies were bottom 5 "guaranteed") before the season started. And now the focus is tough schedule. I want Bedard too bud but I'm not playing the tank fever game.

If the core stays healthy, Habs will show up and win more games than we imagine from looking at a schedule. This is a young group with young legs and good momentum/confidence

Last edited:
Reactions: Cournoyer12

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yay! Rem Pitlick scored a goal yesterday. Maybe now MSL can leave him alone and think about waiving someone more deserving.

He played really well last night. He looked more like last season's Pitlick. He had quite a few solid backchecks, and went to net. Pezzetta was also quite good.

Seems like Evans is really happy to have his linemate back too. After Pitlick scored, Evans gave him a little kiss.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm not the type to dwell on the schedule and try to predict it. I use to do that before and it usually don't fall in like like you might predict.

I do think the Habs slip a bit but not as much as some other fans think we will. First there was a lot of fans laughing at me saying we will finish bottom 5-10 or bottom 8-12 range (replies were bottom 5 "guaranteed") before the season started. And now the focus is tough schedule. I want Bedard too bud but I'm not playing the tank fever game.

If the core stays healthy, Habs will show up and win more games than we imagine from looking at a schedule. This is a young group with young legs and good momentum/confidence
Youthful ignorance is blissful, and MSL seems to be playing that card to perfection - not understanding & being aware that you’re expected to suck as a team by your fans & the media & turning that into some type of driving force

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
So if the plan is to start contending in about 3-5 years... what's the goalie situation? As far as I can tell thre isn't a solid goalie in the system. Or perhaps Carey will heal up by then...
If the past is any indication if the future, who cares about elite goaltending?
You just need a ´good ´ goalie to win a Stanley cup as long as you have a solid top 3 D core, and a couple elite scorers.
Investing in scoring talent instead of scoring prevention is the way to go.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi

They are barely hanging sticking close to ,500 and allowing a bunch of goals and the schedule is getting tougher. Habs will have a top 10 pick.
Don't be afraid,it's only hockey.lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Youthful ignorance is blissful, and MSL seems to be playing that card to perfection - not understanding & being aware that you’re expected to suck as a team by your fans & the media

Even after the 4-0 blown lead against the Canucks, MSL talks to the media and says I really like how we are playing. Fans and media focus on the back/back and playing a better team so we should loose. Still some who have tank fever in our herd. We all want Bedard yes but desperation to find reasons why we will loose is kicking in now.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We just finished a western road trip (Flames, Oilers, Canucks, Kraken) and played 4 games in 6 nights bud. 5 pts out of a possible 8. That's kind of tough schedule don't you think?

Clarify your stance? Are you saying we go .400 or worse in the next month or so due to "schedule"?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Armia waived would be half of a scandal. Because 3,5 m is something in between small and big money. If Armia is waived, the medias will be spinning for half a day and soon after it will be forgotten.

Armia is not going to be waived. I think he would do a lot better in a dump & chase game, and not the transition, puck control style MSL wants.

Shot is way off right now. He can't hit the net. He seems to be going with a half slapper over his wrister. He has zero control over the slapper. It's wild.

He's still solid on pk, and is coming back to help out the D. He's doing the job on defensive side of the puck he's just awful offensively.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
the whole Shane Wright angle was so odd to me. So he wanted to make Montreal regret not taking him, does that mean he still wants to be here? He's pissed he isn't in Montreal? Did he get all fired up when playing the 2 other teams that passed over him? Just a weird storyline to be honest. oh and WTF to marty putting Wideman on the PP after all that Arbs has done this year. The mistake prone guy who never plays gets those primetime minutes based on ... nothing, and the regular guys humping it night in and out have to sit and watch Ricky Pejorative Sluro do his drop-pass on the PP and take a dumb penalty, as per usual.
Maybe there's some truth to the report that Hughes& Gorton weren't happy that we're winning too much. If they want to tank for a better pick then take all the rookies off the team send them to Laval and the veterans should be able to take care of your tank needs.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
When Pitlick was waived, it was deserved. He wasn't playing well. Things change so maybe Armia gets waived next time.

The deeper we go into the season, the less likely we are 100% healthy so there is bound to be nagging injuries that keeps most of the guys on the roster.
Is it deserved though? As bad as Pitlick was, he’s never nearly as bad as Pezzetta is on a good day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is it deserved though? As bad as Pitlick was, he’s never nearly as bad as Pezzetta is on a good day.

Not to be rude but I really don't care. I got little time for Pitlick, Drouin, Dadonov, Pezzetta, Armia at this point in time. Hoffman is a notch ahead of them IMO. Someone we should keep and try to provide a consistent spot so we can move him in the 24 deadline with better production

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Maybe there's some truth to the report that Hughes& Gorton weren't happy that we're winning too much. If they want to tank for a better pick then take all the rookies off the team send them to Laval and the veterans should be able to take care of your tank needs.
Conversely,if they are trying to win,got to do a lot better. Many questionable decisions imo.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Martin Jones with a horror show. Just horrible.

Someone mentioned to me that the Habs had only 2 high danger scoring chances after two periods.

I think there is a danger in stat watching because I saw three goals which were brilliantly executed, so how could there be only two high danger chances?

The first goal is probably the one he wants back, but even that one looked like a knuckleball.

Goals 2, 3, and 4 were a result of odd man rushes, and/or kracken turnovers.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Armia is not going to be waived. I think he would do a lot better in a dump & chase game, and not the transition, puck control style MSL wants.

Shot is way off right now. He can't hit the net. He seems to be going with a half slapper over his wrister. He has zero control over the slapper. It's wild.

He's still solid on pk, and is coming back to help out the D. He's doing the job on defensive side of the puck he's just awful offensively.
With all what you write, he's not very useful at his salary. Lehkonen had a similar salary but he was able to bring so much more on the table. He was a good fit with the Avs last year, he had a good PO presence. All the opposite would have been if Avs would have picked Armia. So Arm is not very tradable, not very useful, we are stuck with his salary and term. Another poisoned gift from MB. It's sad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad