Post-Game Talk: Habs continue to be bad, lose 3-2 in OT vs the Kings

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If Bergevin or a new GM rebuilds and does a liquidation sell off sale to help us rebuild, it would be the largest liquidation sale in the history of the NHL. I don't think some fans are thinking this through enough and got their Bergevin/Molson hate blinders on.
There are currently seven players on the 2021-22 Coyotes roster who were with the team last year. The Rangers traded away Nash, Graves, McDonagh, Miller, Zuccarello, and Hayes within a calendar year, and let Lundqvist walk away to run with two new goalies, and turned over a bunch more of their roster. Trading Price/Gallagher (if possible) and Petry and a bunch of vets like Armia/Toffoli/Hoffman/Chiarot etc. isn't really some unprecedented thing.

Even without tanking we're under 50% roster continuity from last year. We're already having all the negative effects of tanking but without getting any picks for it! I just really have a hard time believing fans are going to be more upset watching a 30th place team that's building towards something than a 26th place team that's spending to the cap and still sucks.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Both NYR and Leafs arena capacities never drop below 95% even at the worst of times with 100% luxury box capacity at highest rates in the NHL - I.e top line revenue keeps flowing in even during rebuild, such is not the case for Mtl market.

When the Habs finished 4th last in the NHL in the 2017-18 season they still had an average attendance of 100.1% (of seating capacity) according to ESPN. Even this season, while they are down in attendance (91.5%) they are still leading the league in average attendance per game. The Rangers this season (although it’s only been 4 games) are at 83.5% attendance.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
When the Habs finished 4th last in the NHL in the 2017-18 season they still had an average attendance of 100.1% (of seating capacity) according to ESPN. Even this season, while they are down in attendance (91.5%) they are still leading the league in average attendance per game. The Rangers this season (although it’s only been 4 games) are at 83.5% attendance.

This is true. And the team would probably do perfectly fine during a rebuild. Getting a superstar on the team to watch is reason enough to go see games. But I think it's one of those things where there is no real urgency to find out if we would do ok business-wise. We are doing ok business-wise no matter what.

And that's why it's kind of ridiculous to bow to the media. The media are only as powerful as you let them be. And the media does not necessarily represent popular opinion.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Not embellishing anything, that’s what happened, sorry that you either didn’t watch or don’t care for Pezzetta. Nothing about last nights loss is on him, as much as you seem to want it to be.

I saw it. Five minutes of playtime ... three penalties. I don't care for Pezzetta because he will continue to draw stupid useless penalties and give the opponents the advantage. That shouldn't be so hard to see and understand.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah he played a bit worse after scoring the goal - I think he was a bit stunned he could do that. But that type of 1-on-1 situation only really happens in OT, so I'm not going to let it overshadow all the positives from Evans last night, which were quite a few.

Rather than calling it overshadow, I rather focus on both the pros and cons and it's exactly how I would manage development. Being hard on young players in the areas beyond point production is how you don't get spoiled players who feel like they are entitled to a spot without constructive criticism or demotion if they struggle.

Who predicted that Caufield would play AHL this year? Probably nobody. One good example there. I always felt that Caufield is a time and space guy and there is no room for him to be complacent. He needs to play a high tempo/energy game and use his skating. The minute he stops moving, he's easily neutralized.

Habs have to insert a few more big boys that skate and can win puck battles or at least protect the puck better. I feel many fans are overlooking that area and many are looking at points which is not the entire picture when the games count in the playoffs. Talk to the Leafs about that one

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Rather than calling it overshadow, I rather focus on both the pros and cons and it's exactly how I would manage development. Being hard on young players in the areas beyond point production is how you don't get spoiled players who feel like they are entitled to a spot without constructive criticism or demotion if they struggle.

Who predicted that Caufield would play AHL this year? Probably nobody. One good example there. I always felt that Caufield is a time and space guy and there is no room for him to be complacent. He needs to play a high tempo/energy game and use his skating. The minute he stops moving, he's easily neutralized.

Habs have to insert a few more big boys that skate and can win puck battles or at least protect the puck better. I feel many fans are overlooking that area and many are looking at points which is not the entire picture when the games count in the playoffs. Talk to the Leafs about that one
Caufield's shot just hasn't translated so far in the NHL. If his shot can't beat NHL goalies, he'll have to find some other way to be a star.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Caufield's shot just hasn't translated so far in the NHL. If his shot can't beat NHL goalies, he'll have to find some other way to be a star.

Caufield is a time and space guy and that is limited with the Habs due to so many guys who lack puck possession and our PP is horrible. I value Caufield but always had concerns with the 5/5 and less time and space challenge. My mind would be on how we surround him and Suzuki and others.

Nothing wrong with Caufield's shot. It's a situational problem that has caused ripple effects on confidence and momentum. You put Caufield on the Leafs and with Tavares and he would put up 80+ pts and 30+ goals. Suzuki is awesome but he's not a physical type center. Suzuki to me is perfect #2C and if he plays with Caufield (5/5), you need a power forward to play with them. Then a top line ahead of them so they can't be targeted

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Caufield is a time and space guy and that is limited with the Habs due to so many guys who lack puck possession and our PP is horrible. I value Caufield but always had concerns with the 5/5 and less time and space challenge. My mind would be on how we surround him and Suzuki and others.

Nothing wrong with Caufield's shot. It's a situational problem that has caused ripple effects on confidence and momentum. You put Caufield on the Leafs and with Tavares and he would put up 80+ pts and 30+ goals.
As a simple person, I'll keep my simple observations. He's had many opportunities to shoot in good situations and so far can't beat NHL goalies (and the goalposts) with his shot.

I'm not saying he's doomed, but he'll have to figure out how to do that in order to score in the NHL (with his shot anyway). But he's got time to figure it out. He can stay in Laval all year as far as I'm concerned. No reason to rush him.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a simple person, I'll keep my simple observations. He's had many opportunities to shoot in good situations and so far can't beat NHL goalies (and the goalposts) with his shot.

I'm not saying he's doomed, but he'll have to figure out how to do that in order to score in the NHL (with his shot anyway). But he's got time to figure it out. He can stay in Laval all year as far as I'm concerned. No reason to rush him.

He's not a perfect top line forward and might never be. But he does have time to improve some areas. This NHL and being consistent is a tough business. Look at Lafreniere. Imagine if we won the lottery and drafted him. He would be getting way more focus on his disappointment if we drafted him vs the Rangers. With the Rangers, there is no where near as much focus on him.

We are the Habs fan base and we are obsessed with hockey and talking about our assets. It's both beautiful and a distraction IMO. Caufield to me is a solid asset. He will score goals in the NHL if we have the right situation for him. It's a team game and our team has issues which is causing ripple effects all over the place.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad