Habs center thread

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Someone suggested it in the DD thread.

So heres a thread to discuss the teams centers. Ice time, who should play where, who the team should try and trade for, etc...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We have been so thin, for so long at the centre position...:shakehead

Year 5 of MB and still, no relief in sight...I think it's time to give up a prospect and a number 1 draft pick and finally get us another centreman...Chucky is the only C who is playing well...and Mitchell also for what we need from him.

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
At this point I wouldn't mind overpaying for a center. Thing is that Pleks would have to go because he is just too expensive for a 3rd line center. thing is that this would have to be done in the offseason.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Habs need 3 things if they really want to be taken seriously

- A top 2 55+pts playmaking center with some size
- A top 6 left winger
- A top 4 puck moving left handed defensemen

Out of those i think that the center is the more pressing need so hopefully MB is working on that. Guys like Hanzal are band aid rentals and we'd still find ourselves in the same position next year. Better than nothing but...go big or go home i say. In that optic i think everyone should be on the table if we can find someone interesting that is available and by that i mean Sergachev , McCarron etc could all be expendable. Don,t really want to but realistically it's going to cost something of value the fix the center problem that has been as issue for waaaayyyy too long.

It's that or via UFA but the list of free agents this summer is very average so

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If you go the ufa route, gonna have to overpay possibly big time for anything worthwhile.

It will probably be the trade route but again, to get anyone significant it will take equivalent assets going back.

Then there's the draft...Baffin Island seems less barren.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Year 5 of MB and still, no relief in sight...I think it's time to give up a prospect and a number 1 draft pick and finally get us another centreman...Chucky is the only C who is playing well...and Mitchell also for what we need from him.

See I disagree here. Year 5 and we have that top scoring C in AG. We used to have a very solid 2C in Pleks but he crapped the bed. Our back up to him was DD but he is also crapping the bed.

If Pleks was playing like he should the team wouldn't be so bad at C and the biggest problem would be 13 minute a night DD, which in reality isn't that bad of a problem because it wouldn't be to hard IMHO to upgrade.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
By getting injured and saving cap space while on ltir??

Nope by having a solid 2-way center who is a giant and a physical beast. I would be amazing to have him and McCarron on the team come playoff time.....

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Hanzal-Gallagher
Danault-Plekanec-Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

I would trade our 1st + B prospect for Hanzal whitout thinking twice.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Nope by having a solid 2-way center who is a giant and a physical beast. I would be amazing to have him and McCarron on the team come playoff time.....

Danault-Plekanec-Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

I agree, but a 2nd and a B prospect (depends what you call a B prospect) should suffice.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
1 C is settle with chucky
3 C future should be McCarron
4 C we are ok with Mitchell and Danault in the future

MB need to find a good 2 C for now and the furure, difficult task to do when all the teams think they still have a chance to make the playoffs

i think what he will do this year is to go get a band aid 3 C at the trade deadline ( alla handzal ) wont cost too much he will be ufa at the end of the year,and McCarron should be good to take the spot next year

and then he'll go after shipachev for next year or trade a good asset after the season to get the good 2 C

so, for this year we have to hope pleky patch and gally can retrieve the chemestry they had last season before gally got injured

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

[QUOTEd=M.C.G. 31;125157817]I really wish we could have signed Shipachev this past summer.[/QUOTE]

Ship coming over and Markov not regressing next year leaves us with one solid D and a couple of solid wingers away.!

Same refrain as always.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Danault-Plekanec-Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

Hanzal is pretty much one way at this point solid DC.
He'd probably get 30 pts in a MT run system.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Danault-Plekanec-Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

He's not anywhere nearly as physical as you're making him out to be and he has a career high 41 points. Plex has more offensive upside and he's much better defensively. If not for his size, which he barely uses, no one would know who he even was.

Pass on Hanzal as a second line centre and imaginary white knight coming to our rescue.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's not anywhere nearly as physical as you're making him out to be and he has a career high 41 points. Plex has more offensive upside and he's much better defensively. If not for his size, which he barely uses, no one would know who he even was.

Pass on Hanzal as a second line centre and imaginary white knight coming to our rescue.

The way Plekanec is playing this year , I would say Plekanec=Hanzal.

But I think we would be in pretty good shape with Hanzal and Plekaec on our second and third line , no matter who plays on what line .

We would have 3 very good defensively centers in Hanzal,Plek and Mitchell who can bring some offense + Chucky who will get all the offensive starts possible.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The way Plekanec is playing this year , I would say Plekanec=Hanzal.

But I think we would be in pretty good shape with Hanzal and Plekaec on our second and third line , no matter who plays on what line .

We would have 3 very good defensively centers in Hanzal,Plek and Mitchell who can bring some offense + Chucky who will get all the offensive starts possible.

Most years I'd agree with you except we need the 2nd line to score. With Plex, Hanzal and Mitchell we effectively have 3 defensive centres and that's not gonna cut it.

We need a 50+ point offensive centre. That's not Hanzal no matter how big he is

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Most years I'd agree with you except we need the 2nd line to score. With Plex, Hanzal and Mitchell we effectively have 3 defensive centres and that's not gonna cut it.

We need a 50+ point offensive centre. That's not Hanzal no matter how big he

is

Hanzal would be a good rental tho not giving this guy a long term contract, 3C spot should be McCarron next year, as for a 50pts 2C unless MB can do some magic, i think we will have to settle with Pleky for this year, and i'm confident that he and patch-gally are about to get it going

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

We need a 50+ point offensive centre. That's not Hanzal no matter how big he is

My point is that a 45 P + 45 P centers = 60 P + 30 P centers if you think about it.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'd take Hanzal, he's a complete player.

And let's be honest, 10M$ on DD + Plekanec is not hard to upgrade on. It's impossible to do worst.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
tumblr_n46u68CY0u1s4bglio1_500.gif

apart from that,

Galchenyuk
Mitchell
Plekanec
Danault

Desharnais can go suck eggs. I would have liked to have tried Hudon at #2c but he was hit by a truck or something.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Time for MB to put his big boy pants on and move a vet.

Casperetty and Plekachu need to be moved. They are becoming a detriment to the team. Cant wait for ever for them to give a damn

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Time for MB to put his big boy pants on and move a vet.

Casperetty and Plekachu need to be moved. They are becoming a detriment to the team. Cant wait for ever for them to give a damn

His big boy pants need to move more than a vet. If I'm Geoff Molson I've seen enough by now to know that while we might not melt down as badly as last year with Price in the net, we've been playing above our heads since the beginning of the season and teams have now figured it out. It's going to be a slog.

MT gone. Let Kirk have the reins.
Patches needs to give up the C, it's too much for him, give it to Gally
Get Handzal. We've got a Kabillion D prospects... and add one of the forwards we're letting rot in the minors to the mix too (DLR)
DD needs to sit, send him to the minors .. whatever, but he's brutal (maybe we could convince Phoenix... nah)
Bring up McCarron

Lines now

Gallagher/Galch/Radulove (please let him be ok)
McCarron/Handzal/Patches
Lekkonen/Pleks/Shaw
Byron(yes he's a 4th liner... sorry MT)/Mitchell/Flynn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad