Habs beat Sabres 4-1 in Buffalo [Season Opener]

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Pacioretty has always been a complimentary piece, even at his best.

And to be fair, how many wingers aren't complimentary players on their own team? There aren't that many of them that can carry a line on their own. Ovechkin, Benn, Kane, Gaudreau... After that? Hall, maybe? Tarasenko?

Pacioretty is a fast skater that doesn't use his speed nearly enough, a big body that doesn't take advantage of his frame nearly enough, and a good shot that probably doesn't shoot as much as he should.

But he's not a bad player. He's just one of the many good wingers in the game that cannot get it done on their own. He's in that tier below the elite. He's there to complete a more dynamic all-around player, and I'm comfortable in saying that Galchenyuk can and might already be that guy.

This is pretty much what I think as well. I think he takes heat because some think that he should be a better player than he actually is. He's a high-end goal scorer on a good contract. Not a bad guy to have around.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
By watching Shaw and Carr play yesterday, it made me dream about a third line of Carr-McCarron-Shaw!

What a pain in the a$$ this third line would be. They would create havoc around the net!!

If it was only up to me i would have waived DD last week and kept Big Mac with the team. But alas MT/MB love affair with DD doesn't seem to be over yet unfortunately

And to be fair, how many wingers aren't complimentary players on their own team? There aren't that many of them that can carry a line on their own. Ovechkin, Benn, Kane, Gaudreau... After that? Hall, maybe? Tarasenko?

Pacioretty is a fast skater that doesn't use his speed nearly enough, a big body that doesn't take advantage of his frame nearly enough, and a good shot that probably doesn't shoot as much as he should.

But he's not a bad player. He's just one of the many good wingers in the game that cannot get it done on their own. He's in that tier below the elite. He's there to complete a more dynamic all-around player, and I'm comfortable in saying that Galchenyuk can and might already be that guy.

Agreed

In fact Patches is a lot like Vanek in that regard. Both share quite a lot of the same traits and attributes. Patches is faster but aside from that they are similar in the sense that they are good complimentary players but need a supporting cast around them

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I agree with everything but the bolded. This is a guy that put up 39 and 37 goal seasons alongside the likes of DD and Weise. I agree that on a contending team, ideally he would be a complimentary piece - the whole reason we've been unsuccessful in the playoffs is that our one scoring winger gets shutdown and the rest of the team can't score.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If there's 1 game where you need to put your effort, wouldn't it be game 7 of the SCF?

You need to always put a constant effort. But when you start the year, when everybody is at an even field, you need to make a statement. And you'd think with EVERYTHING that went on with Pacioretty, he would have done it. Anyway, that was a bad effort by both guys. And then scoring NEXT game will NOT mean that they suddenly played great the 1st game. People have so many problems with their "who's eating crow" syndrom....

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I tried to avoid these boards the last few months after the Subban trade as the constant negativity mixed with the *****ing and moaning was just hard to read.

Reading this thread, you'd think we lost last night.

Ya fine, it wasn't perfect but rarely are opening games where everybody are in synch. Of course there's things to work on, that's natural. I like the vibe I get from this team. I do agree that a 3rd line with McCarron as centre would be better and a real pain in the ass to play against, so hopefully we have a chance to see that before the end of the year.

Loved what I saw from Rads and Lehkonen as they already seem to fit well together. Hopefully Pleks can gel with them as yesterday he seemed like the 3rd wheel on that line. The top line was great as usual, but again, they made a few mistakes and we're running around in their zone a few times. The fourth line was great and will give us some important goals this year. The defence was solid apart from Sergachev who obviously will have a steep learning curve. When Petry comes back we'll be good to go.

Some posters are *****ing that we were outshot...ya fine, but there were a lot of outside shots from the Sabres. Lehner made a bunch of high end saves on us including a few grade A chances on Galchenyuk on the 2 on 1 and Lehkonen twice in the 3rd.

Its a work in progress, give them at least 20-30 games.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
But....He's 10th in total games played over the last 7 years. Without that injury last season he would be first...
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-7-nhl-seasons-goalies-stats.html

So this one injury that makes him go from 1st to 10th and a cold that makes him miss 2 games makes you say

This is amazing...

What is amazing to me is that you're so willing to accept what the team says without questioning. Do you not remember last year? Price will be back in a few weeks...no wait months...no NOT AT ALL! It's not like they have always been forthcoming. Anyway let's hope I'm out to lunch. By the way I'm done on this for now. Time will tell.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
Pateryn should'n lose is spot in the line up

The hatred on Desharnais is unreal, some of you mighr need therapy...

If Patch does not get in better shape and Plex remain this lousy after 4 games i would try this:

Lekh-Chuck-Rads
Gally-DD-Patch
Carr-Plex-minou...

But i still think people should be able to comment after a game, but a real judgement on a player should maybe wait after at least 5 games....

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't hate the player or what he brings to the ice.

But I do hate his contract based on his role and the make-up of this team. When's the last time signing marginal players long term paid off? Moen? Prust? Desharnais? Haven't we learned anything from those experiences?

Byron didn't have the leverage to ask for that kind of term. There was no reason to give him that kind of term. And most of all, if you plan on having a 160 pounds winger on your 4th line, at least make sure you're not gonna have a 5'7" center on your third line.

Our bottom six is hilariously small. I'm intrigued to see how they fare as the year drags on, fatigue and injuries start to happen, and we get down to the final push for the playoffs. And then, most likely face teams that are much bigger in the playoffs and will drain even more energy out of our small players.

Byron is fine in itself. Committing long term to a waiver pick-up after half a season is a different story.

Lets just say Byron has to go on waivers. If he has a 3 yr deal wouldn't you as a GM stay away as to opposed a 1 year deal? Sometimes these contracts are strategic. Look at Barberio, his 2 year contract helped him to pass through waivers rather than being claimed. I bet if Condon was signed to a 3 yr contract no way the Pens pick him up.

Maybe our GM isn't as stupid as some try to make him out to be ??

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I tried to avoid these boards the last few months after the Subban trade as the constant negativity mixed with the *****ing and moaning was just hard to read.

Reading this thread, you'd think we lost last night.

Ya fine, it wasn't perfect but rarely are opening games where everybody are in synch. Of course there's things to work on, that's natural. I like the vibe I get from this team. I do agree that a 3rd line with McCarron as centre would be better and a real pain in the ass to play against, so hopefully we have a chance to see that before the end of the year.

Loved what I saw from Rads and Lehkonen as they already seem to fit well together. Hopefully Pleks can gel with them as yesterday he seemed like the 3rd wheel on that line. The top line was great as usual, but again, they made a few mistakes and we're running around in their zone a few times. The fourth line was great and will give us some important goals this year. The defence was solid apart from Sergachev who obviously will have a steep learning curve. When Petry comes back we'll be good to go.

Some posters are *****ing that we were outshot...ya fine, but there were a lot of outside shots from the Sabres. Lehner made a bunch of high end saves on us including a few grade A chances on Galchenyuk on the 2 on 1 and Lehkonen twice in the 3rd.

Its a work in progress, give them at least 20-30 games.

This was only game 1, wasn't it? And at no point did it appear that the Habs were in danger of losing it. It was a worthwhile win because Buffalo appears to be an emerging divisional rival.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Have you noticed that Carr felt down so easily ? He seems very weak on skates.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Have you noticed that Carr felt down so easily ? He seems very weak on skates.

He goes down easy but he never shies away from being in front of the net. I really love that about him, even last year, always looking for a deflection or rebound in the paint.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If it was only up to me i would have waived DD last week and kept Big Mac with the team. But alas MT/MB love affair with DD doesn't seem to be over yet unfortunately

Agreed

In fact Patches is a lot like Vanek in that regard. Both share quite a lot of the same traits and attributes. Patches is faster but aside from that they are similar in the sense that they are good complimentary players but need a supporting cast around them

But last year MT called DD into his office and told him he was useless that made him go cry to his captain to go defend him. :D

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
This was only game 1, wasn't it? And at no point did it appear that the Habs were in danger of losing it. It was a worthwhile win because Buffalo appears to be an emerging divisional rival.

Exactly. I think some posters are reading too much into it.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
At this point we just want him back at 100%. Take your time Carey!!

I actually feel very good and confident with Montoya in net.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
... Loved what I saw from Rads and Lehkonen as they already seem to fit well together. Hopefully Pleks can gel with them as yesterday he seemed like the 3rd wheel on that line...

Still don't get how people found Plekanec so invisible. He did a LOT of the digging that kept the puck in their possession, and set up a couple of those early shots/chances when we were dominating the first half of period 1. And successfully killed 5 minutes of powerplay while only seeing 40-some seconds of PP himself. Considering the players his line played against were even more quiet/invisible, that wasn't a bad 1st game for them.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Still don't get how people found Plekanec so invisible. He did a LOT of the digging that kept the puck in their possession, and set up a couple of those early shots/chances when we were dominating the first half of period 1. And successfully killed 5 minutes of powerplay while only seeing 40-some seconds of PP himself. Considering the players his line played against were even more quiet/invisible, that wasn't a bad 1st game for them.

Facts aren't necessary. The gutter crew has the daggers out for Plekanec and Pacioretty this season.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I agree with everything but the bolded. This is a guy that put up 39 and 37 goal seasons alongside the likes of DD and Weise. I agree that on a contending team, ideally he would be a complimentary piece - the whole reason we've been unsuccessful in the playoffs is that our one scoring winger gets shutdown and the rest of the team can't score.

I'm speaking in terms of style and what he brings to the game. Complimentary isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Lets just say Byron has to go on waivers. If he has a 3 yr deal wouldn't you as a GM stay away as to opposed a 1 year deal? Sometimes these contracts are strategic. Look at Barberio, his 2 year contract helped him to pass through waivers rather than being claimed. I bet if Condon was signed to a 3 yr contract no way the Pens pick him up.

Maybe our GM isn't as stupid as some try to make him out to be ??

"Let's willingly sign marginal players to bad contracts so that other teams won't even think about stealing our thrash when we put them on waivers".

Flawless logic right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad