Rumor: Habs and Wild had a deal in place at draft

Lint07

Nov 21, 2004
Montreal
www.HockeyTradeRumors.com
According to french speaking station TVA Sports, the Habs and Wild had a deal in place at the draft where Montreal was trading their 1st round pick (25th) to Minny.

Article does not say what was the return but speculates around Montreal native d-men Marco Scandella who's been heavily rumored to go to the Habs lately.

Trade got nixed by Trevor Timmins when he saw Ryan Poehling was still available and convinced Bergevin to pull out of the deal.

Article in french: https://twitter.com/TVASports/status/879548850737958912

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not Poehling's biggest fan, but thank god he was still there.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sounds like the return we were expecting.

We know that the GMs were talking at the draft; figured it might come down to who was still there at that time.

We probably would've taken Poehling at that spot as well.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I had the feeling we were going to make that trade depending on who was available. The stars had been aligning for a couple days.

I'm not a huge fan of Poehling but we did need a center so I'm hoping he works out, I probably still would've made the trade for Marco. This goes to show why all the trade proposals leading up to the draft are so pointless, GMs won't make trades until they are on the clock and know who is available.

Also, I definitely wouldn't rule out Scandella to Montreal as being a possibility still, but maybe Minny's GM is pissed now haha. I'd try Scherbak/McCarrron/Hudon + 2nd

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I had the feeling we were going to make that trade depending on who was available. The stars had been aligning for a couple days.

I'm not a huge fan of Poehling but we did need a center so I'm hoping he works out, I probably still would've made the trade for Marco. This goes to show why all the trade proposals leading up to the draft are so pointless, GMs won't make trades until they are on the clock and know who is available.

Also, I definitely wouldn't rule out Scandella to Montreal as being a possibility still, but maybe Minny's GM is pissed now haha. I'd try Scherbak/McCarrron/Hudon + 2nd

I doubt Fletcher would hold a grudge. It's probably a little frustrating, but draft-day trades that are contingent on who ends up being available are pretty normal.

I'm not sure what the ask from Montreal would be at this point, though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sounds like the return we were expecting.

We know that the GMs were talking at the draft; figured it might come down to who was still there at that time.

We probably would've taken Poehling at that spot as well.

Remember though, Fletcher and Flahr both told Russo they weren't targeting 1st round picks in return, but if one was part of a package besides that made sense that would be the only way.

My guess is they were targeting a prospect over the pick, but the pick was added value.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I doubt Fletcher would hold a grudge. It's probably a little frustrating, but draft-day trades that are contingent on who ends up being available are pretty normal.

I'm not sure what the ask from Montreal would be at this point, though.

bergevin has already said, price has to come down for deals to be made. i'm sure GM's playing game of chicken...that's why methot went for a little less...last week they wanted a 1st from ottawa to keep him ' protected'...this week return was significantly less

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
maybe next year on draft day we get the deal done. cheers!

It can happen. Rumor is Stepan to AZ for 7th overall almost happened last year but the way the first six picks went nixed the deal on the draft floor. A year later, the two teams decided that this year's 7th would do it.

member 157595

It can happen. Rumor is Stepan to AZ for 7th overall almost happened last year but the way the first six picks went nixed the deal on the draft floor. A year later, the two teams decided that this year's 7th would do it.

Holy crap was that lucky for Arizona that it didn't go through. Giving up Keller for Stepan would have been...not recommended.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Timmins sucks ass and Bergevin still relies on him to make decisions... very bad move. Poehling won't be ready for another 4 years at least!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Remember though, Fletcher and Flahr both told Russo they weren't targeting 1st round picks in return, but if one was part of a package besides that made sense that would be the only way.

My guess is they were targeting a prospect over the pick, but the pick was added value.

Right. Still would come down to who was there at #25.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Timmins sucks ass and Bergevin still relies on him to make decisions... very bad move. Poehling won't be ready for another 4 years at least!

I think Timmins is pretty solid and that MTL had a really strong draft this year. Besides that, what would the timeline have anything to do with the value of a trade?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Keeping your 1st round pick vs trading for a $4M defenseman who is UFA in 3 years and his highest point total is 23 pts is not a very bad move. Get real!

I think I prefer to keep our pick and draft Poehling. The upside with this kid is huge. I expect him to make the US under 20 team this year and in 12 months, your going to be very glad we didn't trade our 1st round pick for a fringe top 4D.

Jul 6, 2016
I think Timmins is pretty solid and that MTL had a really strong draft this year. Besides that, what would the timeline have anything to do with the value of a trade?

I am so happy that we will have plenty of guys to play on our bottom-six F and bottom pairings D...

:shakehead

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Glad the trade didnt work out. I wasnt a fan of the Poehling pick but also feel like Scandella isn't worth a 1st.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Keeping your 1st round pick vs trading for a $4M defenseman who is UFA in 3 years and his highest point total is 23 pts is not a very bad move. Get real!

I think I prefer to keep our pick and draft Poehling. The upside with this kid is huge. I expect him to make the US under 20 team this year and in 12 months, your going to be very glad we didn't trade our 1st round pick for a fringe top 4D.

Poehling has upside and is definitely an interesting pick. Huge upside, no. I personnally had him ranked around #20 overall.

I also get the feeling that if the trade had gone through, you would not describe Scandella the same way ;)

I'm also glad the trade did not go through though. We need to replenish our prospect pool and trading our picks (especially 2nd rounders) has not done us much good in the past and still has a significant impact on where this team is.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
This sounds contrary to reports in Minnesota where Fletcher was unhappy with all offers he received for his Dmen because teams were lowballing on the assumption that the Wild are in a cap bind.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Glad the trade didnt work out. I wasnt a fan of the Poehling pick but also feel like Scandella isn't worth a 1st.

He definitely is. In a vacuum i wouldn't trade Scandella for a 1st round pick that isn't top10 pick but because of cap exist i probably would have accepted this deal. You need to get lucky to find defenseman of Scandella's quality with 1st round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad