Post-Game Talk: Habs 3, Pens 2 - To Me It Looks Like Monkeys Trying to Hump A Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I honestly refuse to believe that they would do that until they actually would. They should be giving him more ice time with the way he's playing right now, not scratching him for Clendening. I just can't see it. As dumb as this organization is with personnel choices, they won't take out a player who's actively performing. It just means Clendening probably won't be playing anytime soon.

They did exactly that with Despres how many times?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They did exactly that with Despres how many times?

Last year they didn't. Despres was scratched for maybe 3 games last year with us. Bylsma hated him for some reason or another, so I wouldn't use how he was treated under Bylsma as evidence to the claim that they take out a performing young player. Don't forget, while Despres was playing well, he also wasn't immune to mistakes like Dumoulin has been so far.

I just can't see it. Idk, maybe it's just the last shred of confidence I have in this organization or maybe it's the flawless play of Dumoulin combined with the organization's apparent love for him, but I just can't see it happening.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I dunno. Bourque is usually a canary in the coal mine when it comes to who the Penguins aren't happy with. I don't get it, but he seems to think Dumoulin is some sort of problem for unknown reasons. Nevermind that he's one of two players on D that's completing passes right now. I love Maatta, but he's playing like he's terrified that Lovejoy's going to get him scored on. Can't really say I blame him.

I've often heard Bourque being overly critical of young players; he was especially hard on 47, at least when I was listening. He's definitely got the I-had-to-work-my-way-through-the-bus-leagues mentality.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Last year they didn't. Despres was scratched for maybe 3 games last year with us. Bylsma hated him for some reason or another, so I wouldn't use how he was treated under Bylsma as evidence to the claim that they take out a performing young player. Don't forget, while Despres was playing well, he also wasn't immune to mistakes like Dumoulin has been so far.

I just can't see it. Idk, maybe it's just the last shred of confidence I have in this organization or maybe it's the flawless play of Dumoulin combined with the organization's apparent love for him, but I just can't see it happening.

I agree with you about everything except that I have zero confidence in this organization. You should be right, and I hope you are.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Everyone tends to gang up on young guys. Media, press, everyone. I think they build working relationships and friendships with guys that are around a while - veterans - and when **** is hitting the fan and as a commentator you need to point some fingers and throw a little blame around it's probably human nature to give people you are closer to a pass.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Bennett was scratched for multiple games in a row because MJ was "teaching him a lesson"
Think it was during a west coast trip

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Everyone tends to gang up on young guys. Media, press, everyone. I think they build working relationships and friendships with guys that are around a while - veterans - and when **** is hitting the fan and as a commentator you need to point some fingers and throw a little blame around it's probably human nature to give people you are closer to a pass.

I think players as well. Without naming names, (but making it very clear who) MM intimated that Tyler Kennedy and Matt Cooke terrorized Beau Bennett because they were threatened by him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah he was scratched. By the way, he was scratched for Wilson in the playoffs. I'm sure he was banged up but that was more a reflection on their view of Bennett.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Bennett was scratched for multiple games in a row because MJ was "teaching him a lesson"
Think it was during a west coast trip

I stand corrected. Still, the original question was whether the Pens have scratched a young player that was performing, but Bennett certainly wasn't performing last year. He really struggled last year, he was nowhere close to Dumoulin's level right now.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I stand corrected. Still, the original question was whether the Pens have scratched a young player that was performing, but Bennett certainly wasn't performing last year. He really struggled last year, he was nowhere close to Dumoulin's level right now.

Bennett was outperforming Adams with no questions what-so-ever.

If the team won't scratch young players that are performing then why is Clendening in the press box right now?

I must have imagined him not being in the line-up these past three games.

He outplayed almost every defender currently starting including Scuderi and Lovejoy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bennett was outperforming Adams with no questions what-so-ever.

Last season? I'd be extremely hard pressed to even say that, and I know Adams was absolutely dreadful last year. You must not remember how bad Bennett was for most of last year.

If the team won't scratch young players that are performing then why is Clendening in the press box right now?

I must have imagined him not being in the line-up these past three games.

He outplayed almost every defender currently starting including Scuderi and Lovejoy.

Because he was 7th or 8th on the depth chart in MJ's eyes and he only shined (and I use that term loosely, he was nowhere near Dumo's level) in meaningless preseason games? Dumoulin has actually shined in real games. Would Clendening shine in real games? Maybe, maybe not. I'd obviously like to find out, but I'm not going to use Clendening being a healthy scratch when he's the 7th D in the depth chart (like it or not, that's the reality of it) as evidence that they take out performing young players. If Clendening were to go in next game over Scuderi (lol) and he were to perform well to only be taken out, you'd have a point. Right now? Completely irrelevant point.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Because he was 7th or 8th on the depth chart in MJ's eyes and he only shined (and I use that term loosely, he was nowhere near Dumo's level) in meaningless preseason games? Dumoulin has actually shined in real games. Would Clendening shine in real games? Maybe, maybe not. I'd obviously like to find out, but I'm not going to use Clendening being a healthy scratch when he's the 7th D in the depth chart (like it or not, that's the reality of it) as evidence that they take out performing young players. If Clendening were to go in next game over Scuderi (lol) and he were to perform well to only be taken out, you'd have a point. Right now? Completely irrelevant point.

It's irrelevant that one of the best defensemen from preseason is 7th on the depth chart and is sitting?

That is the point. Clendening - a young player - performed and now he's in the press box.

But you go on and move the goal posts to defend the current coaches.

Any depth chart determined based on preseason that had Clendening as the 7th d is inherently flawed as are the coaches and processes that led to that conclusion. Any depth chart that continues to have Clendening as the 7th d is garbage.

Also Bennett was outperforming several players including Adams. Adams was the worst player on the team with no question.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Clendening not playing reeks of front office more than coaching staff. In like 40 games, I still think I've not seen any of the coaches say a positive thing about Ben Lovejoy once. I've certainly seen them compliment Clendening in 3 games worth of work more than Lovejoy in 40.

I think it's not out of the question that Johnston or Agnew grossly over-estimate Scuderi due to him being, as Darryl Sutter called him, a "no maintenance" player. But Lovejoy playing over Clendening strikes me more as a "we traded a lot to get this guy, shut your mouth and make it work" thing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's irrelevant that one of the best defensemen from preseason is 7th on the depth chart and is sitting?

Clendening was one of the best D from the preseason? Since when? He was serviceable and was a pleasant surprise, but calling him one of the best D is just laughably untrue.

hat is the point. Clendening - a young player - performed and now he's in the press box.

There is a difference between performing in real games and performing in the preseason.

But you go on and move the goal posts to defend the current coaches.

I'm defending the current coaches? HAHAHAHAHA oh god I'm dying. I want that clown show canned as much as everyone else, but I'm not going to make up a false reality that Clendening was one of our best D to push a baseless agenda that the Pens will take out performing young players.

Clendening was serviceable in the preseason. Had he played like Dumoulin is now or how Maatta played in 2013, I think you'd have a point. But he didn't, he showed he can be a competent bottom pair D. Should he be given a chance to show he can do that in meaningful games? Of course, but let's not act like he's anything better than a bottom pair D at this point. He'd be an upgrade over Scuderi right now, that's basically it. He's our 6th best D right now.

Edit: fine, let me reword my original hypothesis. If a young player is significantly outplaying a potential replacement, like Dumoulin now and Maatta in 2013, the Pens will not take them out of the lineup.

You just wait Empoleon. No doubt in my mind Dumo is scratched for Clendening (if he gets in)

I would much rather Clendening stay a healthy scratch then. Clendening does nothing better than Dumoulin. Not one thing. Dumoulin is the real deal, I would rather have Scuderi in all season than have Clendening in for Dumoulin.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Last season? I'd be extremely hard pressed to even say that, and I know Adams was absolutely dreadful last year. You must not remember how bad Bennett was for most of last year.

there was absolutely no worse player in the nhl than adams last year. get out of here with this

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Even with a bionic knee Bennett was light years ahead of Adams.

Idk, Bennett was very, very, very bad last year. I'm obviously thrilled he's playing great now, but I still think he was awful last year. I think the Adams thing was a little hyperbolic by me, but the point of Bennett being very bad last year once he returned from his preseason injury is still valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad