Line Combos: HABS 2024 LINE UP

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Both you mean? Trading both Monahan and Evans will leave Habs center thin to finish season

No, not necessarily... those were just examples of the kind of deals I think could make sense.

On our end, I think what they decide on Dvorak will influence wether Monahan/Evans are trade fodder. Both, if healthy, would be covered by cap constrained contenders looking to shore up for playoffs.

Monahan may well be extended, and Evans is a great fit at 4C... so no surprise if both are here thos time next year

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
What if the second line identity is speed and skill, in he end, with Newhook and Mesar as Dach's wingers.

Otherwise,what if it was Slafkovsky and Mesar as Dach's wingers and Newhook and Heinemann as Beck's wingers for the third line with, ultimately, Roy succeeding to complement Caufield and Suzuki:

Caufield - Suzuki - Roy
Slafkovsky - Dach - Mesar
Newhook
- Beck - Heineman (lots of speed on this line)
RHP - Davidson - Xhekaj/Tuch

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom
Harris, Barron

The midgets in the lineup are highlighted in bold. The borderline smaller players, at 5'11", are highlighted by italics and underlined.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
No, not necessarily... those were just examples of the kind of deals I think could make sense.

On our end, I think what they decide on Dvorak will influence wether Monahan/Evans are trade fodder. Both, if healthy, would be covered by cap constrained contenders looking to shore up for playoffs.

Monahan may well be extended, and Evans is a great fit at 4C... so no surprise if both are here thos time next year
Taking on Myers 6m caphit alone should get us a first. Get a first for Monahan at deadline also.

Adding two more firsts gives a lot of options at deadline. Move up to get the guy we want. Or trade a couple for a Dach type. Which we probably will do as not much salary coming off next summer to get the 10-12m syar

Reactions: Miller Time

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Under MSL yes, but he was playing RW before.

For example, when he was playing with Toffoli and Suzuki.

He played both wings under Julien/Ducharme but has played exclusively LW under MSL and I don't see any scenario where that changes.

Both you mean? Trading both Monahan and Evans will leave Habs center thin to finish season

Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Dvorak, Andersson, Stephens.......still plenty of depth and we might even take back a lesser center in the Monahan deal.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What if the second line identity is speed and skill, in he end, with Newhook and Mesar as Dach's wingers.

Otherwise,what if it was Slafkovsky and Mesar as Dach's wingers and Newhook and Heinemann as Beck's wingers for the third line with, ultimately, Roy succeeding to complement Caufield and Suzuki:

Caufield - Suzuki - Roy
Newhook

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom
Harris, Barron

The midgets in the lineup are highlighted in bold. The borderline smaller players, at 5'11", are highlighted by italics and underlined.

Kapanen should be in there long before Davidson who is a longshot and zero chance that Hutson ever plays higher in the lineup than Guhle.

From past experience we all know that this lineup is a pipe dream as there will be significant trades and signings.....I applaud the attempt however.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Kapanen should be in there long before Davidson who is a longshot and zero chance that Hutson ever plays higher in the lineup than Guhle.

From past experience we all know that this lineup is a pipe dream as there will be significant trades and signings.....I applaud the attempt however.
I don't even bother speculating about possible line constructs until the camp is done and the list is set. It's probably a good idea to wait and see who has chemistry with whom and who shines in a specific role.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Suzuki - Dach - Monahan - Dvorak - Evans

CC - Newhook - Slaf - Anderson - RHP

Gallagher - Armia - Ylonen - Pezetta

Non NHL
Roy - Heineman - Farrell - Beck - Kidney - Mesar - Davidson - Kapanen - Rohrer - Tuch

I don't recall a time in the past 20 years where we had this much talent in our organization at forward.

• Love
Reactions: KevSkillz4

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Non NHL
Roy - Heineman - Farrell - Beck - Kidney - Mesar - Davidson - Kapanen - Rohrer - Tuch

I don't recall a time in the past 20 years where we had this much talent in our organization at forward.

Agree that's amazing talent right there. Habs can create a solid top 6 with Dach, Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky and Newhook. (They are all young and can grow together), they have all great talent and qualities to produce in a top 6.

RHP is a very good complement type of forward, I'm a big fan of him!

Add the others great prospects like Heineman, Beck, Farrell, Roy, Mesar and more.

This team will be very solid in 3 years and can compete against great teams!

Reactions: Miller Time

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Assuming full healthy lineup, I’m going with:

Slaf Suzuki Caufield
Monahan Dach Anderson
Newhook Dvo Gally
RHP Evans Ylonen
Pezz Armia

Matheson Savard
Guhle Lidstrom
Xhekaj Kovy
Harris

Monty
Allen

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Assuming full healthy lineup, I’m going with:

Slaf Suzuki Caufield
Monahan Dach Anderson
Newhook Dvo Gally
RHP Evans Ylonen
Pezz Armia

Matheson Savard
Guhle Lidstrom
Xhekaj Kovy
Harris

Monty
Allen
I'm fairly certain Newhook plays top 6. He'd have to have had a terrible camp with no chemistry with either Suzuki or Dach to start on a third line.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018

Caufield - Suzuki - Roy
Newhook

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom
Harris, Barron

Next year

Caufield - Suzy- RHP
Heineman - Dach - Roy
Slaf - Beck - Andy
Newhook - Evans - Armia

Give RHP his chance to do Gallagher's kinda work on the first line. He's exactly what the other 2 need while buzzing around the zone. If not, swap him with Slafy.

Second line could play against any line in the league and Dach needs shooters to play with.

We still need a bonafide killer ala Deslauriers instead of Armia unless Florian becomes the unicorn they saw in him.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Non NHL

Unlike the Habs defensive group I have a difficult time getting excited about the forward group. Too many questions marks and lack of high end talent, especially at the winger position after Caufield.

They only have 4 forwards I see as top 6 players right now (Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, and Monahan). Maybe Newhook gets there this season and Slafkovsky in a few seasons but those are big IFs for me.

Hughes is going to have his work cut out for him in the future to add top end talent to this group unless a prospect surprises. Right now the forward group is in the bottom half of the league in my opinion.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm fairly certain Newhook plays top 6. He'd have to have had a terrible camp with no chemistry with either Suzuki or Dach to start on a third line.
I thought Monahan and DCh had great chemistry last year so I wanted to keep them together. So Newhook or Slaf on the top line and I went Slaf for size.

I hear what you’re saying though. First injury and Newhook is back on the top 6 but he’ll need some time to adjust to the team system.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It's good that we have something to be excited about. I think that the Habs have turned a corner.
I hope you’re right. I’ve been struggling to watch a complete game. I’m getting excited about where we’re heading, but I’ve been excited before only to see it crash and burn.

Outside of disagreeing with a couple draft picks, the development path chosen for Slafkovsky and I guess the most recent Petry trade I have liked whst HuGo is trying to do.

I like the idea of trading late firsts for prospects further long in their development. I think it’s a pretty smart approach to possibly accelerate the timeline. I don’t like the player targeted this time, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I am not expecting Newhook to make his way into the NHL as a top 6 forward and I don’t expect him to stay at center. We shall see what we have there. I haven’t seen much of him over the last year or two. I was never a fan of his though and reading some AVS fans thoughts sort of reinforces how I felt, but possible they are completely wrong too.

Reactions: DAChampion

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Unlike the Habs defensive group I have a difficult time getting excited about the forward group. Too many questions marks and lack of high end talent, especially at the winger position after Caufield.

They only have 4 forwards I see as top 6 players right now (Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, and Monahan). Maybe Newhook gets there this season and Slafkovsky in a few seasons but those are big IFs for me.

Hughes is going to have his work cut out for him in the future to add top end talent to this group unless a prospect surprises. Right now the forward group is in the bottom half of the league in my opinion.

That seems overly pessimistic to me, at least from a projection pov.

Right now? Sure. We were a bottom 5 roster with near league worst scoring output... and Newhook is the only forward we added. So it's a bit obvious that "right now" the forward group is weak. Though I'd argue that, "right now" our fwd group is better than either our D or G group.

But I also think that the group is poised for considerable improvement even if modest expectations on youth/prospect development is projected.

Personally, I don't know that there is a bottom half team in the league that I'd swap organization forwards with except maybe Columbus.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I hope you’re right. I’ve been struggling to watch a complete game. I’m getting excited about where we’re heading, but I’ve been excited before only to see it crash and burn.

Outside of disagreeing with a couple draft picks, the development path chosen for Slafkovsky and I guess the most recent Petry trade I have liked whst HuGo is trying to do.

I like the idea of trading late firsts for prospects further long in their development. I think it’s a pretty smart approach to possibly accelerate the timeline. I don’t like the player targeted this time, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I am not expecting Newhook to make his way into the NHL as a top 6 forward and I don’t expect him to stay at center. We shall see what we have there. I haven’t seen much of him over the last year or two. I was never a fan of his though and reading some AVS fans thoughts sort of reinforces how I felt, but possible they are completely wrong too.

I've had a hard time watching games in full for years. Bergevin being what he was took away a lot of joy, but as far as surface impressions go, Kent Hughes is in many ways the anti-Bergevin (qualified, intelligent, doesn't spend four hours a day looking into the mirror, etc) and it's easier to see a plan.

What I might do this year is mostly watch the AHL Rocket, as a mental exercise to improve my understanding of the team, system, sport, etc.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He played briefly for TB. He is suposed to be a hard worker and great on faceoffs.... Coud he be worse than Evans ?

He has a Stanley Cup ring as well having played 7 games for Tampa in the 2019-20 playoffs. He is 25, has 72 NHL games under his belt and had a strong season in Laval and is absolutely a legitimate part of our C depth.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Kapanen ahead of Davidson? Sure, if he shines, why not?

Whether it is:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

-OR-

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher

I don't see what the big difference is, really?

However, if Mailloux ends up playing 3rd pairing and has a role on the PP, I could see:

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Engstrom
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Kapanen ahead of Davidson? Sure, if he shines, why not?

Whether it is:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux

-OR-

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher

I don't see what the big difference is, really?

However, if Mailloux ends up playing 3rd pairing and has a role on the PP, I could see:

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Engstrom
Xhekaj - Mailloux

I have a hard time picturing Hutson playing with Reinbacher as you want Reinbacher to play against the opposition's top lines and I don't want Hutson anywhere near them.

Our D pool is deep and talented but can be very complicated due to handedness.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I have a hard time picturing Hutson playing with Reinbacher as you want Reinbacher to play against the opposition's top lines and I don't want Hutson anywhere near them.

Our D pool is deep and talented but can be very complicated due to handedness.
Hutson doesn't need play with Reinbacher, but he might if the chemistry is good and we control the puck more than the opponent when those two are on the ice.

I understand your concern that Hutson's defensive play will be exposed against the opppnents' best players, but if those two playing together means that we own the puck more often than our opponents, I'll gladly take that risk.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad