Habs 2022 Off-Season Thread

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Tonight is the finale for this Habs time that tried, but were just not talented and held back early by management.

What do you expect this offseason for the Habs?

Will we make a run at PLD? Be crazy not to try.

I would be shocked if we shipped out Petry, Dvorak, Hoffman.

Also curious what will happen with Price.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I would not be shocked if Petry is gone. I would be shocked if he isn’t gone by the start of next season.

I do not expect any big names to join this roster.

Price is the big question mark.

Reactions: jaffy27

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This off season almost as crazy as last off season. Price and Weber went down after both were beasts in playoffs. KK was offer sheeted, Price was left unprotected,

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
-Minor UFA signings
-Petry Traded
-Armia Traded
-Our 1st round picks are sent back to junior (if Wright will play 9 game stint)
-Guhle and Xjekaj start the season in Laval
-Norlinder, Harris and Barron start the season in Montreal
-Habs re-sign Wideman 1yr

Duplicate the 2021-22 season

Reactions: DAChampion

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
-Minor UFA signings
-Petry Traded
-Armia Traded

Quite possible. I see Norlinder in Laval to start, but if he has a good TC, it's definitely possible.

Also, Petry only traded for a decent return (1st+) imo. If GMs don't put value in his end of season resurgence, we will have to wait for next season when he can show it more consistently and then trade him.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We’ll have a much better idea of what’s going to happen by May 10 when we know where we’re drafting. That will help determine what players to go after and which players to trade away in the off season. I expect a LOT of movement and a young, fun team next year with not a lot of wins to show but with overall growth of the prospects setting up a very competitive team for 2024.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
-Minor UFA signings
-Petry Traded
-Armia Traded

So Price and Weber both on LTIR?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Petry traded.
Armia traded.

I wonder if Winnipeg will take him back? They're awfully thin at RW, which why they traded for Appleton.

I would like Hoffman traded not sure if that'll happen.

Weber traded

One bit of news:

That means our Cap hit next year is not $82.5m, but is reduced by $1,1m by the overages, so around a $81.368m cap.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Tonight is the finale for this Habs time that tried, but were just not talented and held back early by management.

What do you expect this offseason for the Habs?

Will we make a run at PLD? Be crazy not to try.

I would be shocked if we shipped out Petry, Dvorak, Hoffman.

Also curious what will happen with Price.
Taking a run at PLD is about the only addition I would bring in this year.

Dvorak + Calgary 1st + Florida 1st 2023 would probably be the ask. I'd probably do that.

We would need to ship Petry and Hoffman out as well.

Save a few pieces for next years TDL, like Drouin and Byron.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Just a quick reminder that thank God Bergevin made the Dvorak trade top 10 protected! Just imagine finishing 32nd and all we got was Dvo :(

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This will be a busy offseason..................there are alot of balls in the air.
Changes will be made for sure.............
Making cap room is going to be tricky.
Enjoy the full on re-set boys....

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Petry traded.
Armia traded.

I wonder if Winnipeg will take him back? They're awfully thin at RW, which why they traded for Appleton.

I would like Hoffman traded not sure if that'll happen.

Weber traded

One bit of news:

That means our Cap hit next year is not $82.5m, but is reduced by $1,1m by the overages, so around a $81.368m cap.

If Weber and Price remain on LTIR with the 10% off season overage means the Habs summer cap will be around aprox 73 mil. The Habs can’t stay in LTIR limbo (Weber and Price) for 4 more years, either play, retire, or terminate their contracts. Time to move on.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If Weber and Price remain on LTIR with the 10% off season overage means the Habs summer cap will be around aprox 73 mil. The Habs can’t stay in LTIR limbo (Weber and Price) for 4 more years, either play, retire, or terminate their contracts. Time to move on.
You can't terminate contracts of injured players, but, yeah, LTIR isn't the answer people think it is.

It will continue to reduce our cap annually as prospects rack up bonuses putting us in overages penalized the following year.

We have to move Weber this summer. I know HuGo said no prospects, but I would definitely move Fairbrother, Norlinder, Primeau, or Hillis plus some of our 3rds & 4ths to move Weber.

Deal Price next summer once it's fully clear, he's fully done.

Maybe do something like Weber, Fairbrother, Primeau, Calgary's 1st & a 4th to Arizona for picks 36 & 45, a 3rd in 2023 and the return of our 2nd in 2024.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?​

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
What are you guys expecting Romanov's new contract to look like this off season? Bridge deal or long term?

Thankfully we don't have to worry about another team possibly throwing an offersheet his way since he isn't eligible to receive one.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
You can't terminate contracts of injured players, but, yeah, LTIR isn't the answer people think it is.

It will continue to reduce our cap annually as prospects rack up bonuses putting us in overages penalized the following year.

We have to move Weber this summer. I know HuGo said no prospects, but I would definitely move Fairbrother, Norlinder, Primeau, or Hillis plus some of our 3rds & 4ths to move Weber.

Deal Price next summer once it's fully clear, he's fully done.

Maybe do something like Weber, Fairbrother, Primeau, Calgary's 1st & a 4th to Arizona for picks 36 & 45, a 3rd in 2023 and the return of our 2nd in 2024.

The league needs to close off the LTIR loophole. Contracts with crazy term and are front loaded to entice guys to sign knowing they will never fulfill the entire term. League needs to put an end to this.

Why insurance companies would allow/insure these players is beyond me.

Last edited:

rochab

Sep 16, 2020
It seems like the only thing worse than our record is the situation with our roster/cap situation. What a freakin' mess....

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
The league needs to close off the LTIR loophole. Contracts with crazy term and are front loaded to entice guys to sign knowing they will never fulfill the entire term. League needs to put an end to this.

Why insurance companies would allow/insure these players is beyond me.

I'll beat a dead horse, but those guaranteed contracts are a disaster, especially when they're injured, not their fault I know, but teams shouldn't be penalized for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad