Speculation: Habs' 2019-20, roster outlook

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Was just looking at Montreal's off-season, and here are some moves I would like Bergevin to make. I would keep things pretty simple, since they have a young team and have been doing quite well so far this season.

SIGNINGS
RFA Artturi Lehkonen 2 years, $2,1M per year
RFA Joel Armia 2 years, $2,8M per year
UFA Kenny Agostino 1 year, $1,1M
RFA Michael McCarron 1 year, $0,9M
RFA Mike Reilly 1 year, $1,5M
RFA Brett Kulak 1 year, $1,0M

UFA
Sign Jake Gardiner to a 4 year contract, $5,5M per year
Sign Joe Pavelski to a 2 year contract, $8,5M per year

TRADES
Tomas Tatar traded for a 2nd round pick with some cash retained
Charles Hudon traded for a 6th round pick
David Schlemko for a minor leaguer with some cash retained

MONTREAL 2019-20
Jonathan Drouin - Max Domi - Joe Pavelski
Artturi Lehkonen - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Joel Armia
Paul Byron - Phil Danault - Brendan Gallagher
Kenny Agostino - Michael McCarron - Andrew Shaw
extras: Matthew Peca, Nicolas Deslauriers

Jake Gardiner - Shea Weber
Mike Reilly - Jeff Petry
Victor Mete - Noah Juulsen
extra: Brett Kulak

Carey Price - Charlie Lindgren

TOTAL CAP HIT: 75,755,000 + Karl Alzner buried cap hit

LAVAL 2019-20
Michael Chaput - Jake Evans - Nick Suzuki
Lukas Vejdemo - Ryan Poehling - Jesse Ylonen
Daniel Audette - Hayden Verbeek - Alexandre Alain
Michael Pezzetta - Joel Teasdale - Antoine Waked

Karl Alzner - Josh Brook
Cale Fleury - David Sklenicka
Michael Moravcik - Jarret Tyszka

Michael McNiven - Cayden Primeau

Reasoning:
-The team signs Pavelski to a pretty hefty cap hit but Montreal has plenty of cap space and are looking for a solid top-6 player. While Pavelski is getting a bit old he is still a productive player and could definitely bury the puck next to two superb playmakers in Drouin and Domi

-Gardiner has his limitations but could be a perfect partner for Weber due to his skating and puck moving. He might want a bit more years but overall I think he would fit in well on Montreal until Brook/Mete/Juulsen/Fleury/Romanov can take over as the next key guys on defense.

-That 2nd line of Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia is an all Finland line and has already developped some chemistry this season. With a possibility for Kotkaniemi to establish himself as a true force in his sophomore season having two responsible 2-way guys around him who can also score some goals should provide for a great 2nd line for Montreal, with the added perk of having Gallagher in a 3rd line role.

-Top prospects Josh Brook, Nick Suzuki, Ryan Poehling and Cayden Primeau all join Laval for development with the first 3 having a shot at playing in the NHL at some point in 2019-20.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Geez a forward on pace for 30 goals and 60 pts traded for a 2nd round pick
with money retained!!!
But, overall it's not the worse OP. Probably should be on the habs board tho.
I like the idea of getting Pavelski to sign in MTL, but I'm not sure the feeling would be mutual. Can't blame him, I would probably want to stay under the sun myself!!

edit : Gardiner probably gets more year and more money. Lekhonen probably get a little more too.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Gardiner is looking more more a 6x6++ on the open market. That's a terrible deal for him.

Why are you loading up, and trading tatar at the same time? What's the point to adding players, and then trading a 60 point player when you have a "meh" top 9 already?

Either build up, or gut it

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Habs have have a pretty active forum on here, this seems better suited for there.

Why would Gardiner sign a 4 year deal?

If that's the best contract Gardiner can get, he's probably re-signing in Toronto. But Montreal can (and if I was betting, will) definitely offer more.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
As others have stated, Jake Gardiner is looking for a significant pay day. And I hope it's not the Habs paying him big bucks over a long contract. I like his offense, but man does he make some puzzling moves sometimes. He'd be in the fans cross-hairs I think.

nateylove100

Jan 1, 2019
Montreal 2019 - 2020

Drouin - Domi - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Tatar - Danault - Goldobin
Byron - Poehling - Armia
(Peca, Agostino)

Sanheim - Weber
Muzzin - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
(Reilly)

Price
Lindgren

2nd round pick for Goldobin
Shaw + Evans + Benn + 1st Rounder for Muzzin
Hudon + Schlemko + 1st rounder + more picks / prospects for Sanheim

Montreal 2020 - 2021

Drouin - Domi - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Ylonen
Tatar - Poehling - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Goldobin
(Armia, Evans)

Sanheim - Weber
Muzzin - Juulsen
Mete - Brook
(Romanov slowly integrated)

Price
Lindgren

Trades
* Petry traded for picks + prospects
* Peca, Agostino, Reilly traded for whatever

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If Gardiner wants a 4 year $5.5m contract he'll stay with Toronto. He's likely worth $6.5-7m on the market though, which is why he'll probably leave.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Gardiner is looking more more a 6x6++ on the open market. That's a terrible deal for him.

Why are you loading up, and trading tatar at the same time? What's the point to adding players, and then trading a 60 point player when you have a "meh" top 9 already?

Either build up, or gut it

You guys are probably right for Gardiner

As for Tatar, at some point there is no need to have that much depth. Pavelski is a definite upgrade on Tatar, and in my roster Gallagher finds himself on the 3rd line whereas he is a legit top-6 guy. There isn't enough ice time to go around, and there is Suzuki and Poehling coming up soon for top-9 roles.

It would be a good idea to trade Tatar while his value is high. Byron, Hudon, Armia are also expendables imo. Pavelski is a more of stopgap for 2 years until Suzuki is ready at RW. The idea to get Pavelski is to upgrade our roster. I like Tatar but Pavelski is better than him.

nateylove100

Jan 1, 2019
Hey, if we can get Sanheim for that cheap, I'm down with it. Doubt he hasn't been performing well, though.
-5 with 0 points in the last 4 games since getting promoted to first line minutes. plus he wasnt valued earlier in the season. I would be willing to give up more for him. only propects i wouldnt give up would be poehling, brook, suzuki and romanov, but anyone else im open to.

Possibly
Hudon + schlemko + olofsson + picks for sanheim

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
-5 with 0 points in the last 4 games since getting promoted to first line minutes. plus he wasnt valued earlier in the season. I would be willing to give up more for him. only propects i wouldnt give up would be poehling, brook, suzuki and romanov, but anyone else im open to.

Possibly
Hudon + schlemko + olofsson + picks for sanheim

That doesn't mean much.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
UFA
Sign Jake Gardiner to a 4 year contract, $5,5M per year
Sign Joe Pavelski to a 2 year contract, $8,5M per year
It feels nice to dream, doesn't it? Gardiner would never accept 5.5m per year. He's going to get at least 6.5/7m per year minimum. I wouldn't mind signing a 35 year old Pavelski, but would he come to Montreal?

TRADES
Tomas Tatar traded for a 2nd round pick with some cash retained
WTF is this dog shit? Might as well just trade Tatar for future considerations while we're at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad