OT: Guys, talk me off the metaphorical ledge here...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have 26 people on ignore as of right now. Just 4 of them are Oilers fans. If you happen to not be one of them, I respect you even if we may not always agree with each other on certain topics.

The other 22 are window licking trolls on the mains that think they're on some "noble crusade" to bash the Oilers and McDavid, ect. With those idiots out of the picture, this board is generally a good time even though the mains can still get really cringe.

The bulk of my posts are usually in the GDTs. Not sure why exactly. I suppose it's just because of how active they are and seeing live reactions while watching the game or listening to it on the radio is fun. It's also nice to lament with people when we lose too. What's the old saying? "Misery loves company." 😜

I get the people that are tired of what's been going on here lately though. It's a real shame the old official OMB board went belly up in 2019, back when I became a member of HF. It was a family friendly board without all the pollution that comes from toxic fans of other NHL teams. Some of the old mods there started a new site to replace it. I joined it but it's never really taken off and I don't go there much at all. There's just no activity over there.
If most of the problem is with the mains, then why not just stay off them in the first place and save yourself the grief? Only Oiler fans here so this where I stay, and for the most part, it's pretty good.

Reactions: bellagiobob

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I've been here a while, and lurked before that. We've lost some good people over the years for sure. My personal golden age of HF was from when we drafted McDavid to the 16-17 playoff run. Things got a lil toxic when we missed the playoffs twice and then got bounced in the covid play ins. I realize there are many who were here long before that who may have a different view. But it still felt like the old internet back then.

Overall I think there is always an ebb and flow. The mains have always been a bit of a toxic wasteland, that has not changed one bit in my opinion.

When we lose, I generally stay away from the PGT unless I feel like joining the pile-on myself. Usually I'm more positive than those who are in there so it's just not a good use of my time.

This place is what it is, and my use of it changes as I change in my own life.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I used to hear these things 15 years ago about messageboards and community. When things grow, many of the people that were in the smaller community feel disenfranchised and they leave. Even in this thread I only recognize 4 or 5 poster's names.

I don't use the ignore poster, even on the one weirdo that thought I was anti-Oilers. I have a great filter. When I see something is nonsense, I don't retain it, and enjoy the conversations that I do have.

Compared to Twitter, this is Mensa level conversation.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
If most of the problem is with the mains, then why not just stay off them in the first place and save yourself the grief? Only Oiler fans here so this where I stay, and for the most part, it's pretty good.
Ever so often I take a peek over there for a good laugh. Otherwise I usually stay away. lol

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
This lol. After putting a select few on ignore, page count significantly lower for PGT losses but infinitely more enjoyable lol

Completely agree... there should be some way to put select posters on ignore for 24-48 hours until they calm down after a loss. Great thoughtful posters normally, but the negativity flows like whine after losses.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I might get in trouble for saying this as well, but I think it needs to be said. Mods have shown a bit too much partiality to some posters, especially on the mains. Right now, there is a thread there by a troll who posted news that has almost nothing to do with hockey, but it's allowed to stay open (an anti-oiler troll who has started threads to shit on them before with similar, very loosely related "news" like todays with Katz).
You have just described one Canucks poster on the Mains to a tee. All you have to look at is which posters he is nice to and why and you'll understand why his stuff is allowed.

Too bad those posters don't know they're being played like a fiddle.

Reactions: RattsSSV and frag2

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
This is hockey related. She's a former hockey goalie. So I'm just following her currrent very successful career path, which for reasons unknown to me is highly represented on my youtube algorithm.

Don't blame me for the bounce. Youtube is pushing this in my face. ;)

ps The PWHL would get better ratings with this goalie. just saying

Oh, and Connor Brown wouldn't stand a chance..

Holy Cannoli ... probably has fantastic rebound control. Snikies!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Completely agree... there should be some way to put select posters on ignore for 24-48 hours until they calm down after a loss. Great thoughtful posters normally, but the negativity flows like whine after losses.

I mean I get blow out ones and fans venting but even super close 2-1 games...it's always the same shitheads going on and on and on [along with goalpost moving]

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It's actually pretty easy to do, I do it from time to time with certain posters. You just click the ignore button on their name, and then take it off a few days later when they've calmed down. Takes maybe 5 seconds each time.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's actually pretty easy to do, I do it from time to time with certain posters. You just click the ignore button on their name, and then take it off a few days later when they've calmed down. Takes maybe 5 seconds each time.
This is what I do.
I think I have 1 person on this board on perma ignore cause I know they constantly rile me up.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Not sure what that means. Are you calling me a carebear? There is a different way of looking at it. If I see your mails and don’t reply, that’s kinda cold. Instead of just evaluating you when you are showing weakness.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You have just described one Canucks poster on the Mains to a tee. All you have to look at is which posters he is nice to and why and you'll understand why his stuff is allowed.

Too bad those posters don't know they're being played like a fiddle.

UrbanImpact or ThreeonZero?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure what that means. Are you calling me a carebear? There is a different way of looking at it. If I see your mails and don’t reply, that’s kinda cold. Instead of just evaluating you when you are showing weakness.
Gordon has a few posts that are, shall we say, a little cryptic, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00