In Memoriam Guy Lafleur's state of health (UPDATE: Guy Lafleur has passed away)

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Hi.

Another staff member moved this post from a different thread and set the tag. I agree that the tag does not belong, and just removed it.

"More than once I've done this"? Feel free to PM me if you have specific complaints about my past history - happy to talk.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Hi.

Another staff member moved this post from a different thread and set the tag. I agree that the tag does not belong, and just removed it.

"More than once I've done this"? Feel free to PM me if you have specific complaints about my past history - happy to talk.
Well then I apologize. When I said more than once you've done that, i was referring to when you posted this Habs statement in the hockey player deaths thread.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I hate to say this, but when you hear things like this, it almost always means the player is pretty much on his last legs. I had the same feeling with Mike Bossy the other day when they would talk about his bleak status. I remember Pat Burns was reported as being dead before he was dead as well (not saying Guy is) and then he died right after that as well. A statement like this unfortunately probably means the family is wanting some privacy because he isn't going to be around much longer and they know this. Prayers for the family and Guy either way though.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this is so sad. when i was a kid, he was the icon of icons. even by the late 80s people were still getting used to gretzky in the pantheon and mario was just a kid with a lot of question marks. but guy lafleur, even retired and almost ten years removed from his peak, was what you would picture when you pictured hockey greatness: flying down the ice with his hair blowing behind him.

there really isn’t anyone in hockey in the last thirty years you could compare him to, in terms of iconicness. earlier, rocket richard and bobby orr obviously, maybe hull too but i’m so not sure about that. but i liken his legend to dr j in basketball. one of the all time all time greats for sure, but what he meant beyond ranking the best players of all time 1-25 even exceeded his on-ice/court resume.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In the "Too Many men" game in 1979 I can never get over just how cool and calm Lafleur is before he ties the score with a minute left. Who the heck is that effortless with a dynasty literally on the line? Well, Guy was.

I like his closing speed on that play too. He feeds the puck up to Lemaire and Lemaire hangs onto it for a second and somehow in the next second Lafleur is bursting right behind him. It almost seems like he hit it into another gear.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
For fans the same age as me, Lafleur was hockeys greatest player at the time we were most in love with the sport. This really hurts.

I've always loved the story about how when he was a boy, he discovered a way to sneak into the town arena, and he would get up early in the morning just to skate and shoot the puck for hours by himself. With that kind of love for hockey, combined with his talent, his success was inevitable.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1650694542756.png

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
When I was young Lafleur was the biggest star in hockey....and he was playing for the best team in hockey, so it was very special.

He was an electrifying player, extremely exciting, and he looked great when he was skating with the puck.

He was a great goal-scorer, an even better playmaker, he had extraordinary maneuverability on the ice. You could tell he loved playing hockey, and he played by instinct. He looked like the most natural player ever.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My childhood idol and still and always will be my all time favourite player.

It took a day just to sit with this and process it. All those Saturday nights spent watching him on HNIC with my family and Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin calling his glory with his magical play. My best memories in life, so special. Getting to see him in his hey day at the Old Montreal forum with my brother, mother and father is the best day of my life.

You will always be Le Premiere Etoile to me Guy, the first star of Saturday night forever. Rest in Peace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad