Guy Lafleur just said he's still faster than Robitaille

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Guy Lafleur was invited at a big Quebec Talkshow to talk about his last games he will play in the next few month , and the host asked him if it was difficult to play against ex-NHLer than were younger than him like for example Luc Robitaille , Lafleur responded by saying ''well listen Luc never known as a great skater'' so the host asked him if he thought he was faster than him at 59 years old and he said ''yeah I think so''

Just wanted to share , he wasn't joking by the way

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I am guessing we are talking old timers games here? In that case, yeah I think Lafleur is still faster. I've seen him in old timers games and every time I've seen him you get the idea that because of his speed he wouldn't look out of place right now in the NHL today in his 50s. Now of course the comparison at old timers games is weak so that could make him look much faster but if he and Robitaille would do a lap around the rink my money is still on Guy. Robitaille with all due respect was never fast

RECsGuy*

The Flower may be right, but he needs to answer that question with a bit more class and humility. No one in the hockey community is less desrving of such a dig than the ever-jovial Luc Robitaille, whether the comment was solicited or not.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I am guessing we are talking old timers games here? In that case, yeah I think Lafleur is still faster. I've seen him in old timers games and every time I've seen him you get the idea that because of his speed he wouldn't look out of place right now in the NHL today in his 50s. Now of course the comparison at old timers games is weak so that could make him look much faster but if he and Robitaille would do a lap around the rink my money is still on Guy. Robitaille with all due respect was never fast

in his prime, Lafleur skated around NHL players like they were in standing still. He was the first player I can recall that was significantly better than everyone else on the ice (too young to have seen Orr in his prime)

Even as a Ranger late his his career, years after retirement, he could still skate.

I'm sure he was joking about Robitaille but that would be a fun race to watch, for charity.

Robitaille was one of the best hockey players for a guy who could not skate.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Robitaille HOF special was on NHL network yesterday and it mentioned how poor skating was one of the reasons he was selected so late. So i'd believe it. LaFleur's only 15 years his senior too.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I don't see how anyone could doubt that The Flower could still skate circles around Luc.

Well...put me down as having doubts about the circles. It's not that long since Luc was playing, Lafleur's approaching 60, and Luc wasn't that slow.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
I came across this book today and thought it was funny:
laurastammbook(1).jpg

It might be hard to read but on the left it says: Foreward by Luc Robitaille

Derick*

We need a televized race between them like that Baily/Johnson one in the 90s. It will be epic.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Lafleur seemed to be a guy (yes I know I should capitalize!) who really could get away from the checkers well. You thought you had him and it's as if he made it out the back door somehow!

Amazing, he was, to watch! I really regret not being more of a fan!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad