Guy Carbonneau vs Brent Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Carbonneau has his Selkes. Brent Sutter is still coaching in the NHL.
Both players have won the cup.

Who is the better player?
Brent Colin Sutter or Guy Carbonneau

Dallas+Stars+v+Montreal+Canadiens+xSy9GTBGnsIl.jpg

ek2vjl.jpg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Absolutely Carbonneau, without a doubt. Sutter was very good defensively; Carbonneau was beyond elite defensively. He is in the conversation for top-5 defensive forwards of all-time.

And there is no offensive advantage for Sutter to bridge the gap, either. Carbo averaged 0.48 non-PP points per game in his career; Sutter averaged 0.53. A minimal edge at best.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Carbo transcended his era defensively. I never enjoyed more watching a player play without the puck. He was something special, extraordinary. There is no one in the NHL in 2010 to compare him to.

I barely remember Brent Sutter. His brother Brian was more outstanding.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Not close. Carbo. Dominated space with brains and hands.

Brent Sutter is not really a proto Sutter, unless my memory is bad. He was more of an offensive guy. Very good second line center is what I remember.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
In Sutter's favour. - Twice chose to represent Team Canada at the Canada Cup in the checking center role.

In Carbo's favour - The Selkes.

I'm going with Carbo, but it always suprised me he didn't get more of a look for the 4th line center spot for Team Canada.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Carbonneau was probably the most vital player on Montreal's last two Cup wins after Patrick Roy. In the closing moments of Montreal's 1993 win over L.A, the Forum crowd began a spontaneous chant of "Guy! Guy! Guy!" in appreciation of how hard he played. I don't recall Islander fans ever chanting "Brent! Brent! Brent!".

Don't get me wrong. Brent Sutter was a fine, underrated, well-rounded player who was good at everything and could be an asset to any team , but against Carbonneau's elite defensive play and leadership, this one shouldn't be close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad