Proposal: Guy Boucher

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Beginning to think we should have a veteran NHL coach. The same way the Hawks replaced Savard with Quenneville in '08.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
I'm at an opposite school of thought than everyone else. I rather have a young coach that can grow with our team. I suggested Willie Desjardins in the rebuilding thread

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
dineen have proved in the AHL and NHL that he can do well with a decent squad.

you cant just fire the coach, even if its a horrible effort, we're a horrible team

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Actually I'm warming up to Boucher more and more. At least he'd install a strong defensive structure, which is what I think we need to play with right now. When we try to play loosy goosy it's a nightmare on ice.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Wasn't he the one that did that 1-3-1 mess?

-ghoste

Explain this "mess"? Kinda forgot the reasoning. Please don't just pass it off, explain further than it sucked and why it didn't work please. (Kinda hoping 0g might chime in here)

I liked him in TB, down to how he sounded in interviews...SoupyFIN-Yes, I'd be so bold to say he would be, because at the very least, he sent people to the net.

He obviously knew what to do with Bergenheim type guys....

Last edited:

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Explain this "mess"? Kinda forgot the reasoning. Please don't just pass it off, explain further than it sucked and why it didn't work please. (Kinda hoping 0g might chime in here)

I liked him in TB, down to how he sounded in interviews...SoupyFIN-Yes, I'd be so bold to say he would be, because at the very least, he sent people to the net.

He obviously knew what to do with Bergenheim type guys....

He sucked as a coach there is a reason Tampa fired him

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Boucher was a solid coach. I was shocked when the Lightning let him go. Though, it was much needed due to their record. The main problem with him though is that he is very much like Dineen. Not enough experience in the NHL. These coaches are basically like lighting a lighter. They look great lit at first, but eventually burn out.

Honestly, Laviolette would be the best choice as far as experience. Sure he doesn't have the greatest coaching abilities. But you can't argue his experience and career. A cup in Carolina and finals with the Flyers. You really need experience to know how to produce a winning product. I think Laviolette was done with the Flyers after the GM traded the core players, so he didn't care about his job there.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Boucher was a solid coach. I was shocked when the Lightning let him go. Though, it was much needed due to their record. The main problem with him though is that he is very much like Dineen. Not enough experience in the NHL. These coaches are basically like lighting a lighter. They look great lit at first, but eventually burn out.
I don't know about comparing the two, he's much more fiery, and again, seemed to recognize chemistry(something Dinoer has a rough time with)

Honestly, Laviolette would be the best choice as far as experience. Sure he doesn't have the greatest coaching abilities. But you can't argue his experience and career. A cup in Carolina and finals with the Flyers. You really need experience to know how to produce a winning product. I think Laviolette was done with the Flyers after the GM traded the core players, so he didn't care about his job there.

Maybe, I wouldn't hate Lav. The latter is understandable and isn't enough to chase me away either.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
dineen have proved in the AHL and NHL that he can do well with a decent squad.

you cant just fire the coach, even if its a horrible effort, we're a horrible team

what has he done to kind of mix things up, do some rectifications of the things that aren't working, and give some accountability to his crap squad? ….give Steeg and Gilbert more ice time??

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I would like to see team management ride it out with the mess of a hockey team they've put together. Most fans probably won't.

If losing money is their game, they have a fool proof plan in place.:laugh:

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Like I said in the other thread....

if Tallon and this franchise is smart, they do everything they can to steal Larry Robinson from San Jose and make him our Head Coach during the off-season. Let Dineen play out the rest of the year and can him. \

Look at how tough San Jose is to play against. Ya they have a better roster than us but they are extremely tough to play against and a lot of that has to do with Robinson's coaching style. He's a former big bruising NHL defenseman with offensive ability. He'd do wonders for our defense and guys like Kulikov and Guds.

He's proven to be a winner as a player and coach. There is no one else I want behind our bench. Everyone else isn't up to snuff (Boucher, Lav, Maurice, etc) so don't waste everyone's time.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Like I said in the other thread....

if Tallon and this franchise is smart, they do everything they can to steal Larry Robinson from San Jose and make him our Head Coach during the off-season. Let Dineen play out the rest of the year and can him. \

Look at how tough San Jose is to play against. Ya they have a better roster than us but they are extremely tough to play against and a lot of that has to do with Robinson's coaching style. He's a former big bruising NHL defenseman with offensive ability. He'd do wonders for our defense and guys like Kulikov and Guds.

He's proven to be a winner as a player and coach. There is no one else I want behind our bench. Everyone else isn't up to snuff (Boucher, Lav, Maurice, etc) so don't waste everyone's time.
IIRC, Robinson was brought in to improve the special teams, after a season which saw him have huge succees at that with New Jersey.

McLellan (aka. Coach Koala, or just Koala) is still the head coach and has a way bigger saying on how the team plays than Robinson, but the main thing you have to look at is how different the team is compared to previous years.

The often so enigmatic Havlat has been replaced by Hertl, the big net presence that wasn't filled after Heatley left has been fixed with moving Burns to forward position, Stuart brings stability to the defense, development of Demers & Braun has made the D stronger, Niemi isn't as shaky as he used to be, Kennedy is a legit bottom6 forward (biggest reason why they lost to LA last year, lack of bottom6 scoring), Couture rising up to the spotlight and the list goes on.

There's a lot of things that have clicked for SJ recently, and could have clicked already last season if the bottom6 wasn't so weak. Yes, Robinson probably plays a part in that, but how big of a role? Personally I don't see him as a (good) head coach, just a good assistant.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I believe I specifically asked to refrain from a BS response like this.

:shakehead

I mean what do you want to hear? A magical response? He played an extreme version of the trap with an insanely talented team, as others have mentioned it was the 1-3-1. We all know this we play them a million times a year. Their is no secret sauce to his coaching that the others coaches like Laviolette don't have. Other teams figured out how to beat the 1-3-1. Tampa didn't have the proper defensive or goaltending talent to overcome the fact that teams learned how to play against them. They missed the playoffs 2 years in a row after they went to the finals. He sucks hes no better than Laviolette their is no need to fish and look for a special quality that he doesn't have. Dineen is much better considering the team he has to work with. Above all else, the reason Boucher would never come here is Dale Tallon. He wants a team that breaks out and holds the puck ala Chicago/Detroit. Boucher does not have that playing style whatsoever.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I mean what do you want to hear? A magical response? He played an extreme version of the trap with an insanely talented team, as others have mentioned it was the 1-3-1. We all know this we play them a million times a year. Their is no secret sauce to his coaching that the others coaches like Laviolette don't have. Other teams figured out how to beat the 1-3-1. Tampa didn't have the proper defensive or goaltending talent to overcome the fact that teams learned how to play against them. They missed the playoffs 2 years in a row after they went to the finals. He sucks hes no better than Laviolette their is no need to fish and look for a special quality that he doesn't have. Dineen is much better considering the team he has to work with. Above all else, the reason Boucher would never come here is Dale Tallon. He wants a team that breaks out and holds the puck ala Chicago/Detroit. Boucher does not have that playing style whatsoever.

Well, **** your tone, but aside from the crappy snideness, thank you for the answer I was looking for. :)

The words that I would consider to be substance has actually convinced me to agree with you. Especially the last sentence(s).

I think you owe me an apology, for you could have just answered with the bold. We're on the same side here.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Well, **** your tone, but aside from the crappy snideness, thank you for the answer I was looking for. :)

The words that I would consider to be substance has actually convinced me to agree with you. Especially the last sentence(s).

I think you owe me an apology, for you could have just answered with the bold. We're on the same side here.

:5: welp I apologize then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad