Gustav Nyquist

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What is Gus trading volue? Like him a lot ,but since we are in rebuild mode here some thoughts . If we draft Tkachuk and I think he is NHL ready,we can have him together with Z and Rus next seoson. Remember when Datsyuk -Zet -hull line , forgot how they were called , I think goat and the kids.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Gus should be packaged with VGK's pick to move up.

Realistically, there really shouldn't be a scenario where Detroit picks Tkachuk. He's projected at third or fourth pick flip flopping with Zadina. If Detroit picks 1st or 2nd they're taking Dahlin or Svech respectively. If they pick 3rd I'd pick Zadina over Tkachuk. They can't pick 4th, so unless Boqvist is picked there they wont be getting Tkachuk.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Nyquist has a no-trade clause, unfortunately like too many players, that makes it a little more difficult to move him.

Like Tatar, he will likely be moved just before the trade deadline next year, with Detroit retaining 50% of his salary to increase value. Things will be sorted out by then, and Nyquist will know who are playoff contenders.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will get the same return as Tatar. I would hope a 1st rounder if Nyquist has a reasonable season. Being in a contract year, hopefully that will be a little more incentive (can't say the same for AA).

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nope

Do not trade him now

We don't need to move up to spot 17 from 27

What we need is another first round pick next year

So trade nyquist at the 2019 deadline

We need as many first round picks as we can get these next three upcoming drafts starting in 2018

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
If we take Tkachuk (or another winger), we're already pushing off the rebuild another year. Unless someone wants to give us another top 8-9 pick for Nikes and VGK's pick, better to wait till next year, like Z4C said.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we take Tkachuk (or another winger), we're already pushing off the rebuild another year. Unless someone wants to give us another top 8-9 pick for Nikes and VGK's pick, better to wait till next year, like Z4C said.
Tkachuk plays any situation , center , wing , pk . pp. We need more players like him and he is going to be in NHL next year .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tkachuk plays any situation , center , wing , pk . pp. We need more players like him and he is going to be in NHL next year .

Doubt he plays any center as a pro, he hasn't played there in years. I would agree that he has good versatility, but most guys played center at some point when they are younger. Doesn't mean they will as a pro.

I have warmed up to Tkachuk a lot. I'd have a hard time being mad at taking him, even though I would prefer we go with one of these defenseman. He's going to go high though, I think he will very likely be gone before we pick.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I doubt he goes before the start of the season. If we are in dire straits at the TDL next year, I dont see any reason why he wouldn't get packaged to another team for another first, at least. That being said, he would have to waive his no trade clause (dead horse here). The two kids and an old goat line will probably not happen next year, unless Ras totally dominates and pushes Nike down to third line. In that scenario, what would our third line be? Nyquist, Athanasiou,...Neilesn?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Bert will be playing with z next year no matter what. That’s all I know.

Don't be surprised if Rasmussen gets that job.
This team loves to groom the players it likes.

Mantha played a lot with Z.
Larkin did in his rookie year.
AA almost never plays with Z.

I expect Rasmussen, if he makes the team, to play on Z's wing.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Dallas will not trade their first as they stated already...they are hosting the draft.

Trade GN at the trade deadline 50% retained for a pick.

Try to get DD off the books somehow.

Try to get Helm off the books somehow.

Worry about a goalie after next year or when this team has enough talent to make a run.

Just stay the course and keep unloading contracts and get high picks....build through the draft.

Bottom line is the East is brutally tough and is going to be for a long time. Don’t waste time on a quick fix take the long route and do it correctly.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Don't be surprised if Rasmussen gets that job.
This team loves to groom the players it likes.

Mantha played a lot with Z.
Larkin did in his rookie year.
AA almost never plays with Z.

I expect Rasmussen, if he makes the team, to play on Z's wing.
I think Rasmussen - Zetterberg - Athanasiou would be a good mix of skill, smarts, size, and speed, but god forbid an offensive player plays on an offensive line. According to Blash AA should play with Nielsen and Abdelkader.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nyquist is very expendable if we draft Svech/Zadina/Tkachuk/Wahlstrom.Would be open to a trade if we draft a d-man but then it probably happens at the TDL instead.

Dallas will not trade their first as they stated already...they are hosting the draft.

Trade GN at the trade deadline 50% retained for a pick.

Try to get DD off the books somehow.

Try to get Helm off the books somehow.

Worry about a goalie after next year or when this team has enough talent to make a run.

Just stay the course and keep unloading contracts and get high picks....build through the draft.

Bottom line is the East is brutally tough and is going to be for a long time. Don’t waste time on a quick fix take the long route and do it correctly.
Desperately dumping contracts is going for a quick fix imo. Just have patience and the contracts will either run out or become more easily moved.

Reactions: SirloinUB and njx9

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

I don't think this really has anything to do with anything I said.

Especially when we'd probably have to package an asset with them to make a deal.

Yup. The time when bad contracts were worth paying to move has long passed. If we can't get value back for a guy, we should just eat them, since there isn't a contract on the books right now that will affect the team when it's ready to compete again.

Reactions: gbdet and NEWing

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Nyquist is very expendable if we draft Svech/Zadina/Tkachuk/Wahlstrom.Would be open to a trade if we draft a d-man but then it probably happens at the TDL instead.

I don't think it matters when we trade Nyquist, we're not going to miss a 40 point winger, especially when you can find them for dirt cheap in the UFA market.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Rasmussen - Zetterberg - Athanasiou would be a good mix of skill, smarts, size, and speed, but god forbid an offensive player plays on an offensive line. According to Blash AA should play with Nielsen and Abdelkader.

Zetterberg's line is a hard working line that maintains discipline in all three zones. One of the major reasons being as he has aged he cannot really have guys on their own plan either in my opinion. AA is a terrible match for Zetterberg's line, his hockey IQ and compete level is too low for it.

He hits him with breakouts from time to time during line change overlaps. But I think he would get very frustrated with AA in pretty short order. AA isn't earning opportunities. You guys can keep champion giving him free minutes he hasn't earned and the increase production that he didn't do with his increase this year, but he will stay in the lineup where he is until he shows more consistently. Cherry pick whatever segment of the season you want the guy is a roller-coaster player that no coach is going to trust. I hope we can leverage a deal for him while his value is somewhat still high.

For instance Nyquist was remarkably better than AA this year in my opinion, I doubt many want to really admit that though.

I think Nyquist was pretty unlucky not to have a 50 point year this year. Hopefully he can be hot at the start of the year and land us a good package at the deadline.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Zetterberg's line is a hard working line that maintains discipline in all three zones. One of the major reasons being as he has aged he cannot really have guys on their own plan either in my opinion. AA is a terrible match for Zetterberg's line, his hockey IQ and compete level is too low for it.

He hits him with breakouts from time to time during line change overlaps. But I think he would get very frustrated with AA in pretty short order. AA isn't earning opportunities. You guys can keep champion giving him free minutes he hasn't earned and the increase production that he didn't do with his increase this year, but he will stay in the lineup where he is until he shows more consistently. Cherry pick whatever segment of the season you want the guy is a roller-coaster player that no coach is going to trust. I hope we can leverage a deal for him while his value is somewhat still high.

For instance Nyquist was remarkably better than AA this year in my opinion, I doubt many want to really admit that though.

I think Nyquist was pretty unlucky not to have a 50 point year this year. Hopefully he can be hot at the start of the year and land us a good package at the deadline.
When Athanasiou played with competent players, he produced. When he was playing with defensive forwards, he didn't. Why play him on a defensive third line when he isn't a defensive player? If he can produce then why not put him in a position where we can maximize his production. Zetterberg will cover for him defensively, and will allow him to have actual possession time instead of being hemmed in the d-zone and then dumping the puck in or praying for a breakaway.

I know Athanasiou is a defensive liability, and he has some issues upstairs, but not every player is a great two-way guy and some zen samurai warrior that this org has a hard on for. We're in no position to be picky as to what type of players we want, if they're good and young, play them. If AA played on a better line, his scoring would more than make up for his defensive mistakes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When Athanasiou played with competent players, he produced. When he was playing with defensive forwards, he didn't. Why play him on a defensive third line when he isn't a defensive player? If he can produce then why not put him in a position where we can maximize his production. Zetterberg will cover for him defensively, and will allow him to have actual possession time instead of being hemmed in the d-zone and then dumping the puck in or praying for a breakaway.

I know Athanasiou is a defensive liability, and he has some issues upstairs, but not every player is a great two-way guy and some zen samurai warrior that this org has a hard on for. We're in no position to be picky as to what type of players we want, if they're good and young, play them. If AA played on a better line, his scoring would more than make up for his defensive mistakes.

I don't really think it would. Because I watch a player that on most nights puts in about 20 seconds of brilliant work and coasts around for whatever the rest of his ice time is that night. He probably has what 5-10 games a season where he gets going for the whole night and we play the **** out of him in those games because he is going.

His ice time did go up this year and there was .01 uptick in that extra time. I don't want Z playing with a guy that never gets him the puck back. He has our highest hockey IQ and can do give and goes but Athanasiou will have his head buried down trying to beat five players. I get that Athanasiou flashes the high end ability to pass, to score, to even play defense. But you don't get top 6 minutes in the NHL without consistently doing things correctly. He doesn't. He doesn't work hard enough for these opportunities. I have rarely seen a player that frustrates me as much as AA. It is there to be sure, but he doesn't seem interested in accessing it. I would rather get him away from the other young players at this point, cash him in for what we can get.

Tailoring everything to hope AA gets his head on straight isn't something I agree with. The dude needs to bring more to the table consistently, he needs to find another level night in and night out or he can stay down the lineup, with two guys that skate a little better covering for his very lax d-zone coverage and trying the long stretch plays that lead to his scoring chances.

Reactions: gbdet

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Nyquist will be traded this offseason.
I'm not convince he will unless we draft either #2 or #3 and get either Svechnikov or Zadina, I can see him being dealt at the 2019 TDL if we're out of it. But i don't see him going anywhere unless we get either #2 or #3 in the draft. He's still is Zs guy and Z has a lot of say in the matter.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Except they don't. His Corsi, Fenwick, +/-, etc all were still subpar when getting top 6 minutes this year. He is a liability because when he's playing with top players he's still coasting most of the team and that means that the other team is fundamentally playing up one player.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't see Nyquist moving this offseason unless someone offers up a Tatar-like overpayment and Nyquist is OK with waiving his NTC to go there. I also don't think it matters if they draft a winger that can step in now.

They probably wait to sell him to the highest bidder at next years deadline when he might be willing to go to more teams, and he'd carry less of a cap implication for the acquiring team.

I think if any forward is moved this offseason, it'll be AA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad