Gustav Nyquist

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hey guys,

Habs fan here desperately needing help. Should I just choose Nyquist as my last pick for my fantasy? I also love guys like Sam Bennett, Victor Rask or even Tanner Pearson...but what's the predictions for Gustav? 1st line with Larkin? PP time? What happened last year and was it just a bad year, and he'll go back at getting 50 and more points? What is your take on him? Thanks.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Hey guys,

Habs fan here desperately needing help. Should I just choose Nyquist as my last pick for my fantasy? I also love guys like Sam Bennett, Victor Rask or even Tanner Pearson...but what's the predictions for Gustav? 1st line with Larkin? PP time? What happened last year and was it just a bad year, and he'll go back at getting 50 and more points? What is your take on him? Thanks.

If I were you I'd take nyquist, last year was a bad year for him but I feel like his usage is gonna be better this season and the wings powerplay has to be better so that should increase his production

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
If it is the last pick then go for it. He will get PP time and probably top 6 minutes. I know he was used as line 3 winger off and on a bit last year. Really hurts production there. If our PP isnt CRAP like it was last year then he will be above the 50 pts mark.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think he will rebound, but I am not sold on him being penciled in for top-six ES ice time. He will, however, see lots of PP time and our PP can't help but be better than the dumpster fire it was last year.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If the people you listed were the only other options this shouldn't be a question. With a new pp coach (right?). He should be better. With datsyuk gone he likely gets more minutes as well. Don't expect 60 points

Expect 20-25 goals and 50 points

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Tatar and Nyqvist should be playing 17-18 minutes a night. They are 2 of the few on the team who can actually score goals.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Pre season is looking like Nyquist isn't "passed his slump", but rather a player that cashed in and is happy enough with that. Not the same player.

Doubt is trade value is much, but I'd ship him out for the first player/prospect that looks decent for a trade

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Pre season is looking like Nyquist isn't "passed his slump", but rather a player that cashed in and is happy enough with that. Not the same player.

Doubt is trade value is much, but I'd ship him out for the first player/prospect that looks decent for a trade

Plenty of good scoring chances tonight. Hit the post on one. Goalie made a great glove save on the other.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Nyquist was one of the better players on the ice tonight.

I think expectations have risen too far for him to reach after his breakout season. He had an unsustainable shooting percentage and was bound to come back to earth.

He's not a 30 goal guy. If he can put in 20 its been a good year for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

guy is having great chances but not puck luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Gustav Nyquist should not be on a line with Riley Sheahan and Darren Helm to be fair. He should be on the line as a shoot first player. He's going to get lost in the fold there. Absolutely should be with Frans and Z on line 1. Then you have Tats rolling with Larks and Abby, followed by AA with these two. I can certainly see Vanek on the fourth line.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
We're talking about a guy that lead the latest World Championship in goals over some nobodies like Laine, Matthews, Panarin, Hall, Duchene, Perry, Marchand and so on. Clearly he's pure garbage now.

Anyway, not that I'm much of a fantasy guy, but I would still probably go with Rask or Bennett.

Rask already had a 21 goal 48 point season last year and should improve. Bennett should have a bigger role and improve as well.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We're talking about a guy that lead the latest World Championship in goals over some nobodies like Laine, Matthews, Panarin, Hall, Duchene, Perry, Marchand and so on. Clearly he's pure garbage now.

Anyway, not that I'm much of a fantasy guy, but I would still probably go with Rask or Bennett.

Rask already had a 21 goal 48 point season last year and should improve. Bennett should have a bigger role and improve as well.

In Fantasy leagues, I almost never target red wings players.
Detroit is a team overall, and they always spread their scoring. This is good for the team, but poor if you are picking a single fantasy player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Fire Hakan and trade Nyquist for whatever you can get... thank god you're not GM.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In Fantasy leagues, I almost never target red wings players.
Detroit is a team overall, and they always spread their scoring. This is good for the team, but poor if you are picking a single fantasy player.

You're right in here. Mrazek is the only guy I would take.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Last year is about what to expect from him points wise. He is small, weak and gets pushed around.

Remember his first year he had an unusually high, unsustainable shooting percentage.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Last year is about what to expect from him points wise. He is small, weak and gets pushed around.

Remember his first year he had an unusually high, unsustainable shooting percentage.

He had 27/27 in 14/15. That's what to expect. He, like every other Red Wing had an awful year for a laundry list of reasons. Jeff Blashill needs to step up. The PP coach needs to step up. Gus needs to step up.

He's a 50 point player not a 40 point player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

His shooting percentage normalized the year after and he still scored 27 goals....

Last year his shooting percentage was uncharacteristically low AND he shot less.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
His shooting percentage normalized the year after and he still scored 27 goals....

Last year his shooting percentage was uncharacteristically low AND he shot less.

Yep. It was unsustainable luck Nyquist did had on that season. "Bounces in from his ass" -kind of stuff.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I actually think Gus can be a consistent 60P player. As long as he skates hard, which is one of his prowess', he'll achieve higher point totals .

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I actually think Gus can be a consistent 60P player. As long as he skates hard, which is one of his prowess', he'll achieve higher point totals .

He has to get more than 15:10 a game too. No one is going to score 60 points with just 15 min/game.

In fact, the highest point total in the ENTIRE NHL for someone who played 15:10/game or less was Ryan Spooner with 49 points.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
As long as he get pp time, he's good for at least 20 goals, hopefully putting up 50-60pts,
I'd choose him over your other options though, even if hes playing 15 mins a night, hes still the safest pick.

If you're feeling risky go with bennet. higher ceiling, just very improbable he'll come anywhere close to it.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
He has to get more than 15:10 a game too. No one is going to score 60 points with just 15 min/game.

In fact, the highest point total in the ENTIRE NHL for someone who played 15:10/game or less was Ryan Spooner with 49 points.

I really, really, wish the wings would figure out a way to get spooner. The bs have no use for him with krejci&bergeron, and I get that feeling hes going to become a solid 1st line c if he can figure out how to win a faceoff.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really, really, wish the wings would figure out a way to get spooner. The bs have no use for him with krejci&bergeron, and I get that feeling hes going to become a solid 1st line c if he can figure out how to win a faceoff.

Good 3rd line centers are pretty damn useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad