Gustav Nyquist Detroit Red Wings Rookie of the Year

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nyquist was named the Red Wings rookie of the year by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.

"I’'m really excited to be chosen as the DSBA Rookie of the Year,”'' Nyquist said in a statement. "“There were a lot of candidates this year because so many young guys were called up and ended up playing pretty significant roles. When you look at some of the past winners of the award like Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Marcel Dionne, Glenn Hall and Terry Sawchuk, it’'s really a great honor.”''

Congrats to Gus, a little more competition than normal.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/06/gustav_nyquist_named_red_wings.html

RedWingsNow*

Brunner wasn't eligible?

I'd have given it to Smith if Brunner wasn't available.

Maize and Blue

Feb 2, 2010
Michigan
I don't see that much in Nyquist. As holland said about rookie forwards this year. None of them have star/1st liners potential. more or less complimentary skill guys. That screams Flip/Hudler types. So if Zetterberg plays with Pav, we need a solid 2nd center... you know the names that are UFA. If Zetterberg centers the second line. We need a sure fire allstar winger. Nyquist + prospect Dmen + Prospect+ Pick could get us that.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Brunner wasn't eligible?

I'd have given it to Smith if Brunner wasn't available.

Why's that? I am all aboard the Smith train, but I didn't think he had a good season to warrant beating out Nyquist. Is it because his position takes more effort to get better at and because he played a lot more and with less qualified teammates?

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I don't see that much in Nyquist. As holland said about rookie forwards this year. None of them have star/1st liners potential. more or less complimentary skill guys. That screams Flip/Hudler types. So if Zetterberg plays with Pav, we need a solid 2nd center... you know the names that are UFA. If Zetterberg centers the second line. We need a sure fire allstar winger. Nyquist + prospect Dmen + Prospect+ Pick could get us that.

Vinny is coming. And yes, I base that entirely on my own twisted fantasies of how important/desirable a FA destination Detroit is. But, Vinny is coming.

(Game of Thrones + Vinny + Red Wings Jersey. Someone fire up the FlashyG signal.)

RedWingsNow*

Why's that? I am all aboard the Smith train, but I didn't think he had a good season to warrant beating out Nyquist. Is it because his position takes more effort to get better at and because he played a lot more and with less qualified teammates?

Well, Nyquist scored 11 points in 36 games (including playoffs)
Smith, despite playing defense, scored 13 points in 48 games.

Given that Smith was a full-timer (accounting for his injury) and scored more points from a tougher position and played in critical situations (lots of PK time in the playoffs)... I'm really not sure how Nyquist wins this.

Honestly, Nyquist was pretty unimpressive in the regular season. We saw a lot more skill in the playoffs,, but still. His six points were lowest among all forwards who played more than 7 games.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
He's still getting stronger which was holding him back. And by years end he was taking over shifts like only Z and Dats can on this team. D-men started giving him a lot of room and his speed was really kicking in.

I can see the case for Smith, but Nyquist impressed and progressed a lot this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad