GDT: Guppies at Duckies - Anybody for some Shark Sushi at 5 PM PST?

Oct 18, 2011
What is your criteria for a top 6 forward? Your standards are way too high, if you don't consider Belesky a legitimate top six player. He is on pace to scoring 30+ goals and he is defensively responsible forward who brings some physical play to the second line. I would think that nearly every team in the league would be dying to have a 30+ goal scorer like Belresky on their second line.

I would be willing to wager Beleskey does not hit 25 goals, his shooting % is way above his career average.

He played well above expectations so far, but going into the playoffs, we need another proven scorer to help boost the 1st or 2nd PP, and for 5 on 5 offense.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
That's a pretty fair assessment of Beleskey. He's been great so far but its unfair to peg him as a sure fire top 6 forward until he proves it for an entire year.

The focus of need has definitely focused from a 3C to a top 6 forward. I'm sure Bob sees it and will address it at the deadline. We have been very active out of need this year.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
How many sure fire top 6 forwards will be made available? And of those how many teams will be bidding on them? I just don't know/think we will realistically have the chance at a top 6 upgrade.

Oct 18, 2011
That's a pretty fair assessment of Beleskey. He's been great so far but its unfair to peg him as a sure fire top 6 forward until he proves it for an entire year.

The focus of need has definitely focused from a 3C to a top 6 forward. I'm sure Bob sees it and will address it at the deadline. We have been very active out of need this year.
if rakell continues to play like he has, that's a hole that's been filled. i think if our defense plays to it's potential it's good enough to win, but offensively we still very much live and die by a couple of players

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
As well as Rakell has been playing, that hole isn't filled. The line still can't score. He's given reason to think he will progress very nicely in the future, but it's still a glaring weak point IMO.

Oct 18, 2011
As well as Rakell has been playing, that hole isn't filled. The line still can't score. He's given reason to think he will progress very nicely in the future, but it's still a glaring weak point IMO.
he's not the reason it's not scoring, number 7 is why

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Do you guys view Cogs as snakebitten or regressing? I think he's had a black cloud over his head all year. Poor guy. Him and Silfverberg are an amazing pair together on the ice.

DaDucks*

Ugh.. It really should be one of the better 3rd lines in the league..

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I would be willing to wager Beleskey does not hit 25 goals, his shooting % is way above his career average.

He played well above expectations so far, but going into the playoffs, we need another proven scorer to help boost the 1st or 2nd PP, and for 5 on 5 offense.

The reason Beleskey shooting % is much better this year is because he worked with a shooting coach during the offset. Beleskey always had a great shot, but in previous years, he rarely hit the net. This year, his hard work is paying off, and he has benefited from some lucky bounces that have gone off him into the net.

I don't think we have to consider trading for another proven scorer until near the trading deadline. Pears and Palms will dramatically improve our offense and it gives further time to see if Beleskey continues to score.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
he's not the reason it's not scoring, number 7 is why

Rakell has ONE goal (on a fluke play, no less), gets just over a minute of PPTOI/game, a 2.6% shooting percentage, and is absolutely part of the problem. Cogliano being worse doesn't mean that Rakell is acceptable.

Personally I think Cogliano is both snakebittten and a victim of unreasonable expectations due to his production last year. His shot has always been erratic.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So like I said a few naps ago, didn't watch this game. I'll just reiterate my thought from the last game: if Getz isn't on the scoresheet, then we don't score.

I don't really care how good the bottom 6 guys look. It doesn't matter if none of them can finish.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Cogs might be a little snakebitten. But didnt like 7 of his goals last year come from empty net goals?

Its not like our consisten 30 goal winger is having a bad year...

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Don't look now, but Perreault's 19 points would tie for 5th on the team with Beleskey. He is on pace for 42 points despite the slow start. He had 43 points last year.

But I'm not going to beat this horse until there's something more substantial.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I like Matty B, but for anybody who still uses the eye test, he's started to look a lot like the Matty of old. He gets his shots off like a rocket (the rest of the team should take note), but lately he has been missing the net by three feet. Ugh, can't even get a rebound on those kind of misses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad