Confirmed with Link: Gunnarson resigns with Blues - 3 yrs 8.7mil

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
And the majority of these are UFA no? Now I'm really confused! Doesn't seem like this handcuffs us one bit unless we want to believe that!

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
according to general fanager, his NTC was added to his current contract and expires August 2016. Sounds like he didn't want to be dealt in a sign and trade.

Thanks. Oddly specific, but means he can be dumped if we do extend Shattenkirk.

And the majority of these are UFA no? Now I'm really confused! Doesn't seem like this handcuffs us one bit unless we want to believe that!

If it expires in August this year, it is meaningless.

We have 1 problem NTC on our team, Berglund. Everyone else deserves theirs and they aren't a problem.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Majority of ppl looks ridiculous who thought this extension was good. Booked this thread.

Let's look at other Dmen making similar money:

Derek Engelland(horrendous player. Signed during UFA, so inflation a little expect. Still a terrible player).

Stephane Robidas

Nik Grossman

Kevin Klein(great contract. Worth at least 4M).

Karl Alzner(Unbelievably good contract. Even better than Klein's)

Gilbert(terrible player)

Polak(fine 6th dman, but worse than Gunnar).

Ron Hainsey(not close to Gunnar).

Andrew Ference(LOL. Don't think I need to explain this).

Medvedev(Don't know enough about him to judge).

So basically, the vast majority of Dmen making between 2.75-3.1M are worse than Gunnar. If the NTC only applies until August, this deal is fantastic. If not, it's still fine. We get it, you want to see Lindbohm play, but he has to earn it. He's not close to Gunnar's level, and while we thought he was even with Edmundson, clearly the coaching staff thinks otherwise.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
My only concern about this signing is that our top 4 remains pretty soft, seemingly for a while. If Shatty is also re-signed, we become really soft at he blueline. If any one of Pietro, Shatty, JBo and Gunnar had an edge, like say Weber or Doughty I wouldn't be concerned, but that is not the case. I realize we still have Ed and Borts, but they aren't going to get much ice time, esp. with this signing. There are people out there who will try to convince me that toughness isn't necessary in todays game, but I think it helps, esp. in the playoffs. It isn't a huge deal, but it still worries me.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I wonder if we'll look to move Jay-Bo in the offseason. I know he has a NTC, but you have to think if we could move anyone, it would be him.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I wonder if we'll look to move Jay-Bo in the offseason. I know he has a NTC, but you have to think if we could move anyone, it would be him.

Why? I think its become transparently clear that the team plan to move Shattenkirk. Bouwmeester, Gunnarson and Edmundson on the left side. Pietro, Parayko, Bortuzzo on the right. Maybe bring in a depth veteran to fight for a spot on the 3rd line or become the 7th man.

But moving Bouwmeester would create a hole they don't need to create. And Parayko won't be playing his left side as Plan A, but rather situationally when injuries dictate.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Bouwmeester just won't return what Shattenkirk can and he's a lefty so there's not much of a point to explore that option.

I came to post the list of guys making around 3 mil but Matty already did. Even if you don't like Gunnar, this really is fantastic value.

I don't have much of an issue with Armstrong's contracts. Ott's did turn out to be bad but it's expiring so oh well.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Bouwmeester just won't return what Shattenkirk can and he's a lefty so there's not much of a point to explore that option.

I came to post the list of guys making around 3 mil but Matty already did. Even if you don't like Gunnar, this really is fantastic value.

I don't have much of an issue with Armstrong's contracts. Ott's did turn out to be bad but it's expiring so oh well.

Lehtera's extension isn't looking so hot right now, but otherwise agreed.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lehtera's extension isn't looking so hot right now, but otherwise agreed.

Lehtera's contract is still up in air right now. He goes through streaks where he looks like a 50-60pt player and then other times....smoldering poo. Which can be said for most players I guess. I'm crossing my fingers that an intense offseason will solidify him as a 2c

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Lehtera's contract is still up in air right now. He goes through streaks where he looks like a 50-60pt player and then other times....smoldering poo. Which can be said for most players I guess. I'm crossing my fingers that an intense offseason will solidify him as a 2c

This. I feel if Lehtera can get a full off-season of conditioning WITHOUT getting injured, he could be a good mid-high ranged 2nd line center. If we can get the Lehtera from the past few weeks for an entire season I think that ~5Mil contract will be a good deal.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

That contract was garbage.

1. Signed a year before he was a free agent
2. We didnt get a discount
3. He didnt produce the last 2/3rds of last season
4. His production was largely tied to playing with Tarasenko

Unless Tarasenko demanded it, it was just a horrible, horrible contract.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That contract was garbage.

1. Signed a year before he was a free agent
2. We didnt get a discount
3. He didnt produce the last 2/3rds of last season
4. His production was largely tied to playing with Tarasenko

Unless Tarasenko demanded it, it was just a horrible, horrible contract.

I don't like the contract, but I certainly wouldn't call it horrible. It is about market value for a player like Lehtera, so we should be able to move it without too much effort. We may not get a ton of value back for him at that price tag, but the money isn't so much that we will have to give up an asset just to move it.

At the end of the day, it was an unnecessary risk to take and is more expensive than it would have been had we waited. On the plus side, it ensures that our center depth doesn't get destroyed this offseason by losing him and Backes. It certainly isn't a good contract, but most teams in the NHL have a worse contract on their books. This is nowhere near one of the worst contracts in hockey, so I disagree that it is horrible.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2016...rsson-on-new-contract-everything-is-not-money

The Blues defenseman spoke to Aftonbladet about his recent extension.

Swedish publication Aftonbladet published an interview earlier this week in which they discussed defenseman Carl Gunnarsson's new contract - specifically, his pay cut. Gunnarsson was re-upped for three years at a $2.9 million a season, which is a paycut from this year's $3,450,000 check. It wa surprising for a player to want to re-up with a team for less money; usually pending UFAs re-sign (or sign elsewhere) with more money on their mind. What caused Gunnarsson to stay put in St. Louis? Here's what he (and Google Translate, so sorry) had to say:

"I go down a little in wages, but everything is not money. I'm very happy to be left in a team that will continue to be good for a long time to come," he says to Sportbladet after the 4-0 victory.

The new contracts Carl Gunnarsson signed a few weeks ago is for three years and gives him a total equivalent to 72.2 million kronor.

"It went fast once we started to negotiate and it is very nice to get it over with before the season is over," he says on the phone from Missouri. "I go down a little in salary, but money is not everything. The important thing for me was to be left behind. Blues will continue to be good for a long time to come."

This is a quality attitude to have, and despite a slow start this season that didn't endear him to some fans, Gunnarsson at least shows here that he's invested in the team and its future. His reasonable contract limits any potential hamstringing that a larger deal would cause.

Special thank-you to reader Zeb, who's the European correspondant for Habs Eyes on the Prize in Sweden, for bringing this to my attention! Follow along at @habseyesontheprize.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think stuff like this reflects the "good vibe in the locker room" that we hear about. It really makes me wonder what Backes' mindset is going to be regarding re-signing.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
That's great to hear about Gunnar. I imagine he's happy to be out of Toronto where he was counted on to be one of the top guys and was under the media microscope to St. Louis where he can just play hockey for a good team and play his role. He doesn't have to be something he's not here. I think a lot of players like markets like St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas etc. because it's a lot more laid back. The entire city isn't living and dying with every game. I imagine it's a nice change of pace. Still making a pretty nice living too :laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It's official. I'm buying a Gunnarsson jersey for my girlfriend (her favorite player).

I'm curious, how does Gunnar become someone's favorite player? :laugh: I hardly ever notice him on the ice(which is usually a good thing for a Dman).

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm curious, how does Gunnar become someone's favorite player? :laugh: I hardly ever notice him on the ice(which is usually a good thing for a Dman).

I wondered the same thing, but thought it best he wasn't thinking too much of the reasons why :laugh:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Regarding Bo, these IMO are the optimal pairings right now:

Petro-Edm
Parayko-Gunnar
Shatty-Bo

If you think this is a reasonable conclusion, then we should be looking for a Bo replacement pretty soon here (whether it's one of our own prospects, etc.)....we're paying a lot of money for a 2nd pairing type of LHD in Bo. I guess we can just ride out the contract as well but it would be nice to find a younger and cheaper version.

In sum, I may be wrong but I just don't feel comfortable with Bo on the first pairing with Petro any more. I think Petro-Edm > Petro-Bo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad