Music: Guitar World 20 best guitar albums of 2020

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Sorta impressed sorta disappointed.

I'm not a huge fan of djent/prog or boomery blues rock stuff.

20. Generic boomer blues

19. I really liked that Covet song, but most of her stuff is far too finger tappy/disjointed. She easily a top 5 artist of the year, but I can't see the music being a more coherent thing.

18. RAHRHARHRAHRASHRASHRHARHA

17. Love Deftones, but it's sad a band from the 90s is dominating the 2020s.

16. Like 16 as backround djent/study music, but it seems pretty generic.

15. Sons of Apollo has amazing band, but those vocals are just awful, just sounds like generic carny singing.

14. Love Pearl Jam but again a band from the 90s in the 2020s.

13. Testament all round ok, nothing stand out, but acceptable metallica rip off.

12. Lamb of God, not really my thing, I'd probably check that song out.

11. Richie Kotzen interesting, but feels like a "remix" of random things.

10. Generic whatever.

9. Intervals Circadian, I love that style of music nothing remotely new but I like it.

8. Ozzy from the 60s in the 2020s I'll pass.

7. Trivium might interest me, not sure it could go in either direction, will make an effort to hear more of their stuff.

6. Can't stand wanker wanker joe Satriani, guy has no artistic talent, he's an amazing studio musician but can't write.

5. Absolutely love Pliny, although modestly disappointed it's the best choice on the list.

4. ACDC suck.

3. Can't stand dream theatre or anything to do with them.

2.Andy James seems well done, I'd put it somewhere's between noisy djent like music and something closer to covet/pliny the elder.

1. Same as number 2.

Most of what I said is more for me than you guys but I figured it was worth taking the time to flick through each 1 and give it a short chance.

I should mention that I at one point in my life attempted to play bass and I have a strong preference for bass being a central role in rock music. Most of the above is dominated by guitar and it really forces the bass to take a back seat.

I grew up loving bands like RHCP, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Mars Volta, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Limp Bizkit.

In the bands listed above, most of their songs do not exist without bass tracks, and a good few of them could survive without guitar tracks.

In 2020 almost everything listed could survive with a muted bass track. And none of them could exist without a guitar track.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure these bands have very busy basslines, but busy in a sound space dominated by guitar isn't much of interest to me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3