Bahl - Colin Miller
Okhotyuk

Husso
Blackwood
IR -Bernier
Daws

Kubalik - Acquired for Zacha, given his qualifying offer $4m x 1
Colin Miller - Signed for $3m x 1
Husso - 4th is traded for his negotiating rights at the draft, signs for $6m x 3

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
If Holtz looked even remotely NHL ready in his last two games, i think he’d be better represented here. But he looked just as lost and inconsequential as he did in preseason. IMO he’s at least a year away from being NHL ready, if not two.

And really there’s no reason to rush him. Even if the Devils ship all of of Zacha, Tatar, and Johnsson out without taking back any NHL players, the forward lines are STILL gonna be crowded next year.

Shara-Hughes-Mercer
Wood-Hischier-Bratt
Kuokkanen-Boqvist-Zetterlund
Foote-McLeod-Bastian

That’s with absolutely zero outside additions. And while i’m sure there’d be a lot of disappointed fans if that’s the lineup on night 1, i think there’s a good chance that’s an upgrade over this past season. Especially with further development of Mercer, Boqvist, and Zett.
Holtz to me did look better than he was at the start of the season. Does that look ready enough for a top-6 spot at the start of next season? Probably not. Who says he doesn't get better during the summer and has a good camp though? We'll see, but as of right now, I wouldn't pencil him in, although I wouldn't be surprised by a strong camp.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Holtz looked even remotely NHL ready in his last two games, i think he’d be better represented here. But he looked just as lost and inconsequential as he did in preseason. IMO he’s at least a year away from being NHL ready, if not two.

And really there’s no reason to rush him. Even if the Devils ship all of of Zacha, Tatar, and Johnsson out without taking back any NHL players, the forward lines are STILL gonna be crowded next year.

Shara-Hughes-Mercer
Wood-Hischier-Bratt
Foote-McLeod-Bastian

That’s with absolutely zero outside additions. And while i’m sure there’d be a lot of disappointed fans if that’s the lineup on night 1, i think there’s a good chance that’s an upgrade over this past season. Especially with further development of Mercer, Boqvist, and Zett.
NJ did dump Butcher last year for a fifth with some retention so maybe they have an eye towards this, but I think moving any of those guys would only happen in conjunction with some sort of addition trade. Unless NJ makes a significant move, Zacha still slots next to Hischier and Bratt better than anyone else on the team most likely. With the problems in goal and the need for a right handed defender being obvious I could see a significant forward move being a year away.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes, Halak turns 37 on May 13th, so it’s pretty safe to say he’s done.
After how poorly his last two years with the Islanders went (being waived so they could keep SUPERSTAR Berube and not risk him to waiver loss and then a poor final season) I was actually expecting him to be in Europe to end his career back in 2018, but the Bruins signed him to a two year deal.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Shara-Hughes-Mercer
Wood-Hischier-Bratt
Foote-McLeod-Bastian

I don’t see Foote starting the season in the NHL and I certainly wouldn’t want him playing with McLeod, he has a more offensive game than that.

Wood also isn’t a top six forward.

Koukkanen has 1.825m cap hit but makes 2.05m next year and turns 24 on May 25th. He’s probably hanging around but he shouldn’t necessarily be penciled in on the 3rd line. That depends on what the forwards on PK unit will be too I guess.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t see Foote starting the season in the NHL and I certainly wouldn’t want him playing with McLeod, he has a more offensive game than that.

Wood also isn’t a top six forward.

Koukkanen has 1.825m cap hit but makes 2.05m next year and turns 24 on May 25th. He’s probably hanging around but he shouldn’t necessarily be penciled in on the 3rd line. That depends on what the forwards on PK unit will be too I guess.
I see Kuok being on the team to start the year, but likely with a short leash as to be an every night player. Maybe even a 4th line/healthy scratch guy.

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Sponsor
How much competition will there be for the bigger UFA goalies this offseason? TOR will need a goalie and BUF will need a goalie but how many teams either need a goalie and have cap or don't need a goalie that badly they overspend on another one in UFA? Does Anaheim spend on another goalie with Gibson already overpaid? Same for OTT with Murray? Etc. My guess is that NJ may be one of the few teams that has to spend on a goalie this summer.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How much competition will there be for the bigger UFA goalies this offseason? TOR will need a goalie and BUF will need a goalie but how many teams either need a goalie and have cap or don't need a goalie that badly they overspend on another one in UFA? Does Anaheim spend on another goalie with Gibson already overpaid? Same for OTT with Murray? Etc. My guess is that NJ may be one of the few teams that has to spend on a goalie this summer.
Ottawa just signed Anton Forsberg to a 3 year deal, which was stupid. They won’t be looking for any goalie, if I had to guess. I doubt Anaheim will be either.

Buffalo DEFINITELY!

I feel like Toronto will probably either re-sign Campbell or see if Colorado will let Kuemper walk and go for him.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Ottawa just signed Anton Forsberg to a 3 year deal, which was stupid. They won’t be looking for any goalie, if I had to guess. I doubt Anaheim will be either.

Buffalo DEFINITELY!

I feel like Toronto will probably either re-sign Campbell or see if Colorado will let Kuemper walk and go for him.
That's still not too many teams with a need and cap and no obvious target (if COL is going to spend on a goalie wouldn't it be Kuemper for example? Maybe NJ can get a decent UFA on a decent deal?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Buffalo DEFINITELY!

What do you think about market and our situation overall.
Usually I have answers, tactics, assumptions and solutions that I like on the paper. But I haven`t them now. I really don`t understand how Fitzy must act. I don`t like Kuemper, because Kuemper is injury prone, and Kuemper, Francouz and Grubauer have pretty the same numbers in Colorado. He is old and will ask multy year extantion. I don`t like Campbell because he is 30 yo, have 150 games or so of expirience and as I remember he svck in the second half of the season. Husso? I don`t think we should believe Blackwood and Bernier as our 1A\1B. I would even find new 1A\1B and trade Blackwood.
I want to read your expanded opinion.

Reactions: Bleedred

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Shara-Hughes-Mercer
Wood-Hischier-Bratt
Foote-McLeod-Bastian

Umm Holtz was very good in preseason. Looked dangerous and put up 2G and 4 points in 3 games and a lot of people were hoping he would start on the roster. There were some obvious things to work on though I agree with some of the other parts on Holtz. But if he comes in looking good next year I think he could start the year in the NHL. We don’t want to rush him but I think there’s a point where he shouldn’t be in the AHL and if he can’t make the team we should be worried.

Also, there’s almost no chance the devils ship out all of Tatar, Johnsson, and Zacha. I think it’s highly unlikely Tatar isn’t back next season. The other two I could see.

I know you’re saying fans would be disappointed with that but ya Wood isn’t a top 6 forward nor has Foote shown enough to start on the team unless he has a very strong camp. Zetterlund maybe has. I think a healthy Thompson could compete with him or Holtz if he comes in well. Kuokkonen is also probably in the fight for a spot in the lineup.

Main thing is that Tatar shouldn’t be left out of any predictions for the lineup to start next season. We just signed him last summer and despite a tough season he seems to be well liked by the organization and has a strong track record prior to this season. He’s a solid bounce back candidate.
Post automatically merged:

I would love to see a third line of Wood-Boqvist-Zetterlund. That's a quick line that would bang and be able to chip in offensively.
No to Wood there. He just doesn’t play or fit very well with skilled players of the Boqvist mold. He’s very effective as a 4th line bang and crash guy who plays out front on the pp. I would not like to see that line.
That’s just my opinion though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Usually I have answers, tactics, assumptions and solutions that I like on the paper. But I haven`t them now. I really don`t understand how Fitzy must act. I don`t like Kuemper, because Kuemper is injury prone, and Kuemper, Francouz and Grubauer have pretty the same numbers in Colorado. He is old and will ask multy year extantion. I don`t like Campbell because he is 30 yo, have 150 games or so of expirience and as I remember he svck in the second half of the season. Husso? I don`t think we should believe Blackwood and Bernier as our 1A\1B. I would even find new 1A\1B and trade Blackwood.
I'm kind of with you on Kuemper. I've been a fan of Campbell for a few years now. I've been wanting to acquire Campbell while we were still smoking the Cory dust. I'd like to see what kind of deal he gets. Certainly 5-6 years is something I'd really not like to go near for someone like Campbell. I personally wouldn't even wanna give him a 4 year deal.

I'm interested in Hellebuyck, I'm also interested in Lehner, depending on what his injuries are. I don't think whatever Lehner has is as bad as what say Bernier has going on? But again, I don't know. I firmly believe he could be on the outs in Vegas and he only has just two years left on his deal, but i'm a bit scared by some of the injuries and now he's 31, but he only has TWO years left.

I have no belief in Blackwood anymore. I don't think he'll ever be a good STARTING goalie in the NHL, at least not long term. I think his run while Nas was the interim head coach might be the top of the mountain for him. I think he COULD be a good goalie as a backup in this league and have a decent career as one of those. I don't think he has a Vezina ceiling, not anymore. I don't think he has any kind of elite ceiling, I'm skeptical it's all injuries and that he's not just a mediocre goalie. His AHL career was mediocre, he had a horrific season in the AHL in 17-18. All of this was close to irrelevant for him until his last two seasons and now those questions start to come back up again.

And the worst thing that could happen to us long term with him is say he has a good year next season and we all know his contract is up. What do we do then? How much do we give him then? How many years do we give him? One good season after two horrendous seasons is really not grounds for another 3 year deal and with how BAD he was the first two years of that deal, I would think that would be enough to cancel out any type of raise on his next deal. If Blackwood is on this team next year and bombs out early on, I could see him being sent to Utica (which unfortunately means Daws is coming back or maybe it'll be Schmid) like Schneider was early in the 19-20 season. Maybe that's when Bernier comes out from the press box and starts dressing for and playing some games and it's not Daws/Schmid getting called up again? I don't know?

I'm also skeptical that Ruff knows how bad Blackwood really is. We know that he's well aware that Gillies is VERY bad. We know that he's well aware that Hammond was pretty bad, but this is the same guy who came out and post game and said Blackwood wasn't feeling well, he's sick and he just really wanted to play tonight, even though he was really feeling up to it so he let him go play. Blackwood rarely missed a game that he was actually dressed for like during like that last month before he got shut down after Bernier was done for.

Note: I'm still of the belief that Ruff is not the head coach here next year, unless Fitz comes out and specifically says that Ruff WILL be back next year, but I'm still throwing the hypothetical that he might be and this is what I fear if he does come back.

I wouldn't mind someone like Husso, but if Blackwood is gonna be here next year, we need somebody GOOD and more proven than Husso.

I don't wanna go down this rabbit hole, but I feel like there are some people that are biased against Blackwood for the vaccine hesitancy. Because of Blackwood having long covid, I can totally understand why he might have had some hesitance to take the vaccine. This might have been a worry of his. So I've never once judged him based on that. I've only judged him based on the fact that he's been a HORRIBLE goalie for 55 games now. Like worse than the ghosts of Schneider, Kinkaid and Brodeur. And that's all I've judged him on. And injured or not, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt to get a ton of games next year because he can either become injured again, causing his stay on the ice to be unlikely and if he does stay healthy, there's no proof he won't play POORLY yet again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Impossible to guess so here’s how I see it right now:
Fill in the blanks. I’d imagine everything else will look very similar to how I have it here.

Sharangovich Hughes Mercer
Bratt Hischier _____
Tatar Boqvist _____
Wood McLeod Bastian
_____ _____

Graves Hamilton
Siegenthaler Severson
Bahl _____
_____ _____

_____
———

2RW and 3RW:
UFA or Trade addition
Zacha
Holtz (with strong camp)
Zetterlund
Thompson
Kuokkonen

2 Goalies:
UFA or trade addition(s)
Blackwood
Bernier
Daws

3 Scratches:
UFA F or D signing (Vesey or Jankowski type)
Zetterlund
Thompson
Kuokkonen
Foote
Okhotiuk
Smith
White (resigned)

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

The Devils have specifically targeted goalies whose health has been good for several years and they've gone and have yet to play a healthy game for us.

So one could expect the trend to continue with often injured goalies staying healthy all year here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We'd be better off signing Campbell or Kuemper to a 5 year deal than trading for the remaining 5 years of Gibson.

Neither of them have been terrible goalies for the last 3 years like Gibson has.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm kind of with you on Kuemper. I've been a fan of Campbell for a few years now. I've been wanting to acquire Campbell while we were still smoking the Cory dust. I'd like to see what kind of deal he gets. Certainly 5-6 years is something I'd really not like to go near for someone like Campbell. I personally wouldn't even wanna give him a 4 year deal.

I'm interested in Hellebuyck, I'm also interested in Lehner, depending on what his injuries are. I don't think whatever Lehner has is as bad as what say Bernier has going on? But again, I don't know. I firmly believe he could be on the outs in Vegas and he only has just two years left on his deal, but i'm a bit scared by some of the injuries and now he's 31, but he only has TWO years left.

I have no belief in Blackwood anymore. I don't think he'll ever be a good STARTING goalie in the NHL, at least not long term. I think his run while Nas was the interim head coach might be the top of the mountain for him. I think he COULD be a good goalie as a backup in this league and have a decent career as one of those. I don't think he has a Vezina ceiling, not anymore. I don't think he has any kind of elite ceiling, I'm skeptical it's all injuries and that he's not just a mediocre goalie. His AHL career was mediocre, he had a horrific season in the AHL in 17-18. All of this was close to irrelevant for him until his last two seasons and now those questions start to come back up again.

And the worst thing that could happen to us long term with him is say he has a good year next season and we all know his contract is up. What do we do then? How much do we give him then? How many years do we give him? One good season after two horrendous seasons is really not grounds for another 3 year deal and with how BAD he was the first two years of that deal, I would think that would be enough to cancel out any type of raise on his next deal. If Blackwood is on this team next year and bombs out early on, I could see him being sent to Utica (which unfortunately means Daws is coming back or maybe it'll be Schmid) like Schneider was early in the 19-20 season. Maybe that's when Bernier comes out from the press box and starts dressing for and playing some games and it's not Daws/Schmid getting called up again? I don't know?

I'm also skeptical that Ruff knows how bad Blackwood really is. We know that he's well aware that Gillies is VERY bad. We know that he's well aware that Hammond was pretty bad, but this is the same guy who came out and post game and said Blackwood wasn't feeling well, he's sick and he just really wanted to play tonight, even though he was really feeling up to it so he let him go play. Blackwood rarely missed a game that he was actually dressed for like during like that last month before he got shut down after Bernier was done for.

Note: I'm still of the belief that Ruff is not the head coach here next year, unless Fitz comes out and specifically says that Ruff WILL be back next year, but I'm still throwing the hypothetical that he might be and this is what I fear if he does come back.

I wouldn't mind someone like Husso, but if Blackwood is gonna be here next year, we need somebody GOOD and more proven than Husso.

I don't wanna go down this rabbit hole, but I feel like there are some people that are biased against Blackwood for the vaccine hesitancy. Because of Blackwood having long covid, I can totally understand why he might have had some hesitance to take the vaccine. This might have been a worry of his. So I've never once judged him based on that. I've only judged him based on the fact that he's been a HORRIBLE goalie for 55 games now. Like worse than the ghosts of Schneider, Kinkaid and Brodeur. And that's all I've judged him on. And injured or not, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt to get a ton of games next year because he can either become injured again, causing his stay on the ice to be unlikely and if he does stay healthy, there's no proof he won't play POORLY yet again.
Yeah, the situation is unpleasant for Fitz. And for the Devils. In the whole conversation, not a single hockey player was mentioned in whom one could safely "believe". Hellebuyck only, but I don`t see how Jets will trade him for something resonable.
Hope Fitz will start to look at russian market and draft and sign goalies from here. I know russian factor blahblahblah, but it doesn`t interfere other teams. We are in situation where Devils are the worst goalie team in division and for now we have little potential to fix that. It could easily cut us out of play off for years, only because even average teams from division will have advantage and will stole points here and there through the seasons.
I would say if Fitzy has option to trade for Hellebyuck without sending Holtz, 1st pick of 2022, Luke and Arseniy - I`m in. And I don't think this is the ultimate solution to the problem. We need to look for a backup with potential in Europe, draft goalies both young and overagers. And I have a concern that not enough steps will be taken to solve this problem.

I agree with you on Blackwood. I don`t like results, I don`t like personal stuff, I don`t like injury history, I don`t like how he works against rebounds, how he works against screening, how he works against breakaways.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Yeah, the situation is unpleasant for Fitz. And for the Devils. In the whole conversation, not a single hockey player was mentioned in whom one could safely "believe". Hellebuyck only, but I don`t see how Jets will trade him for something resonable.
Hope Fitz will start to look at russian market and draft and sign goalies from here. I know russian factor blahblahblah, but it doesn`t interfere other teams. We are in situation where Devils are the worst goalie team in division and for now we have little potential to fix that. It could easily cut us out of play off for years, only because even average teams from division will have advantage and will stole points here and there through the seasons.
I would say if Fitzy has option to trade for Hellebyuck without sending Holtz, 1st pick of 2022, Luke and Arseniy - I`m in. And I don't think this is the ultimate solution to the problem. We need to look for a backup with potential in Europe, draft goalies both young and overagers. And I have a concern that not enough steps will be taken to solve this problem.

I agree with you on Blackwood. I don`t like results, I don`t like personal stuff, I don`t like injury history, I don`t like how he works against rebounds, how he works against screening, how he works against breakaways.
There's no chance he trades Luke, guaranteed he's not on the table, he's as untouchable as can be, the 1st this year is pretty much untouchable. I could see him being tempted to trade Gritsyuk or Holtz, but I don't think Fitz wants to do that nor should he. The return for great players isn't that big anymore. I'm there with you with potentially looking abroad.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There's no chance he trades Luke, guaranteed he's not on the table, he's as untouchable as can be, the 1st this year is pretty much untouchable. I could see him being tempted to trade Gritsyuk or Holtz, but I don't think Fitz wants to do that nor should he. The return for great players isn't that big anymore. I'm there with you with potentially looking abroad.
I really want to fix this problem, but I can`t agree on trading potential top-3\top-6 forwards or top-2 defensemen(1st 2022 pick could turn into that too) for even great goalie who could go after two years. If Florida will offer Knight - I would have thought about it. I emphasize - I would have thought. But Florida will not do this.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I honestly think there will be at least a mini splash of some sort. Maybe we'll sign of the UFA guys as long as it's reasonable or perhaps we'll go the Lehner route.

I'd like the Lehner route, outside of the fact that he had season injury surgery. but his injury is not as much of a red flag or death sentence as Bernier's.

Apparently, due to that leaked anonymous quote from some team employee from before this season, Fitz is not super high on Blackwood as this particularly quoted anonymous person/team employee was.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I honestly think there will be at least a mini splash of some sort. Maybe we'll sign of the UFA guys as long as it's reasonable or perhaps we'll go the Lehner route.

I'd like the Lehner route, outside of the fact that he had season injury surgery. but his injury is not as much of a red flag or death sentence as Bernier's.

Apparently, due to that leaked anonymous quote from some team employee from before this season, Fitz is not super high on Blackwood as this particularly quoted anonymous person/team employee was.

I`m not specialist in goalies and I just afraid of injury history. If you say it`s ok, I`m in. May be he can yell at Severson and it will help Damon fix his game. I`m ok with gentle teaching, but sometimes people need more tougher parenting.

About Ruff and stuff, I like Lambert. He is my best candidate. He is defensive and PK coach of Trotz.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I`m not specialist in goalies and I just afraid of injury history. If you say it`s ok, I`m in. May be he can yell at Severson and it will help Damon fix his game. I`m ok with gentle teaching, but sometimes people need more tougher parenting.

About Ruff and stuff, I like Lambert. He is my best candidate. He is defensive and PK coach of Trotz.
I’m not sure if this is legit or just speculation or fan hope among Wings fans, but he seems to be the favorite to take the vacant Red Wings job.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m not sure if this is legit or just speculation or fan hope among Wings fans, but he seems to be the favorite to take the vacant Red Wings job.
I think that’s based on Lambert not only being a former Red Wing but an old pal, and roommate, of Yzerman’s from back in the day.

9938C064-24B2-480B-9090-F82F3A840B34.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad