Guess Guentzel's next contract

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He's going to pull a Crosby and go for 5.9 for max term

Well played :laugh:

Seinfeld-Clap.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
6x6 seems pretty realistic and reasonable to me. Probably takes him to the end of Geno's and Sid's careers.

At that point, you can trade him at the tdl if we suck and need to rebuild or extend him and go for more Cups.

Why would you trade him? Our new 1st overall pick generational player that we get from Uncle Gary when Sid and Geno retires will need someone to play with. ;)

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
7 years from now...
lol ok i thought you meant goals but...
Why would you trade him? Our new 1st overall pick generational player that we get from Uncle Gary when Sid and Geno retires will need someone to play with. ;)
Jake isn't a generational player so i'm assuming he could eventually end up getting moved unless he continues to Claude Lemieux his way through PO.;)

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I'd only trade him in 7 years if we need to rebuild.

In 7 years, Sid and/or Geno could be done. Letang and Phil too.

But, hey, a lot could happen until then :laugh:
Yes 7 years is a long time but 7 also happens to be a lucky number.

This said, i agree with Letanger and The Phil but Sid and the Beast just have so much talent and drive that i wouldn't be surprised if they'd still thrive on driving for a while more.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
$30 mill over 5 years

Jimmy seemingly never reigns players to team friendly deals though.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Too hard to say right now. Really depends on his season and what the cap sits at. As much as it looks like he will continue to develop, there’s always the chance his production stalls or regresses a bit. If that’s the case, a 48 point winger with playoff pedigree isn’t going to command a ton. Likely 4Mish on a bridge, if it’s longer term 4.5-5M for buying out UFA.

A much more likely scenario where he does well and scores 25-30 goals and adds 30 or so assists, and is just more consistent overall, I could see him coming in around 5.5-6AAV for 6 years. Can’t see him breaking the % of cap Ehlers and Pasta got unless the Pens give him 8 years or he goes absolutelt nuclear this year. Contracts for wingers typically are about boxcars, right or wrong.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They should pay him $25,000 per lb of his body weight per year.

That's honestly the only realistic option at this point.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lots of talk in the cap thread today about what Guentzel should get on his next contract. Lets put some of those guesses/thoughts down in one thread, as it's always interesting to see what he does end up with vs some people's thoughts. Try to keep the spread at 500k. I mean anyone can guess 5-6m, lets try to be a little more specific.

Am going to break this down into 2 options (or guesses). One for 1-3 yr contracts, and one for 4+ yr deals. Anything under 4 years (1-4) will only buy up RFA years. Year 5+ is buying up UFA years. But I do not think Rutherford would give him a 4 yr deal that would take him to UFA.

My guess:
1-3 years, 4.75m-5.25m
4+ years, 5.5m-6m

Edit:
Giving this a little thought I actually think he goes with a short contract (2-3 yrs). That will give him some financial security, and give both parties more games to get a better idea as to a baseline.

And the Pens an extra million per in cap space before Sid and Geno hit the wrong side of 30.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I'd rather get the cost savings over the next few years when the Cup opportunity will never be greater than five years down the line when who knows. Five years down the line we'll probably be losing large chunks of salary that can be used to pay Guentzel whatever is considered fair then. This is assuming he progresses like you would hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad