Management Guerin under investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
We don't know the case, but didn't a second woman open up a suite against the Pens as well?
No. They announced a 2nd accuser came forward. Minutes before they were going to have give a pretty damning press conference which needed to be as solid as you can get to avoid legal consequences. So because of the existence of the 2nd accuser they called off the press conference. That 2nd accuser was never talked about again, hasn't come forward to anyone else, and they didn't even claim that they were going to be added to the 2nd lawsuit.

The cynical side of me says that for a plaintiff that is so ready to make everything about the legal proceedings as public as possible with their side of the story, to suddenly go hush on the biggest development in the case suggests it was a wee bit fabricated to get out of a corner you backed yourself into.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
No. They announced a 2nd accuser came forward. Minutes before they were going to have give a pretty damning press conference which needed to be as solid as you can get to avoid legal consequences. So because of the existence of the 2nd accuser they called off the press conference. That 2nd accuser was never talked about again, hasn't come forward to anyone else, and they didn't even claim that they were going to be added to the 2nd lawsuit.

The cynical side of me says that for a plaintiff that is so ready to make everything about the legal proceedings as public as possible with their side of the story, to suddenly go hush on the biggest development in the case suggests it was a wee bit fabricated to get out of a corner you backed yourself into.

it was clearly all about the money, like i said.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
it was clearly all about the money, like i said.
It was obviously about the money. It was a civil case. They had and still have every avenue to pin criminal charges on Donatelli and seek damages from him. But a former AHL coach without legal insurance isn't going to have pockets worth the effort to reach into them. So they tried to pin liability for the event on the Penguins with negligent retention, then went after those sweet uncapped punitive damages with a loss of consortium charge.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Do you need someone to explain to you what a civil lawsuit is?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Do you need someone to explain to you what a civil lawsuit is?

I went to college for law, i think i know what a civil lawsuit entails. I said "i called it" when i stated the story was a nothing burger about guerin, and all the side investigations and allegations (ie safesport) were just added to further the pressure to get pittsburgh to settle in court.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I went to college for law, i think i know what a civil lawsuit entails. I said "i called it" when i stated the story was a nothing burger about guerin, and all the side investigations and allegations (ie safesport) were just added to further the pressure to get pittsburgh to settle in court.
You think USA hockey launched an investigation because they wanted to pressure the Penguins into settling a lawsuit?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
You think USA hockey launched an investigation because they wanted to pressure the Penguins into settling a lawsuit?

No, i think they launched an investigation because skalde filed a complaint with them, to pressure the penguins.

"Westhead’s report states that Erin Skalde filed the complaint earlier this month and that SafeSport informed her that a file has been opened and will be investigated."

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
"Westhead’s report states that Erin Skalde filed the complaint earlier this month and that SafeSport informed her that a file has been opened and will be investigated."

That file hasn't been closed yet; curious to see what SafeSports finds or if they close it. This was the best case scenario for the Pens (and for the Wild), which is why they probably settled.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That file hasn't been closed yet; curious to see what SafeSports finds or if they close it. This was the best case scenario for the Pens (and for the Wild), which is why they probably settled.
It's probably the best case scenario for the Skaldes as well, unless they were really hoping to drag the Penguins through the mud with a trial. Lawsuits aren't fun for anyone but the lawyers, especially when the central incident is a sexual assault.

I hope that SafeSports looks into it, but I'd assume that the terms of the settlement will make most of their sources off-limits. If a smoking gun exists the chances of them finding it are pretty minimal at this point.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia