Guentzel - Aho - Jarvis

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
People love to debate Rantanen or Barkov as the top Finnish forward. I think I may take Aho over both of them.
Most finnish people would take Aho over Rantanen and Barkov as well. Rantanen is really only popular amongst us Swedes. It's no coincidence that you don't see finnish posters make any threads about Rantanen getting his 2nd 100 point season. They know he's getting carried by MacKinnon and Makar. Not even @Murzu who's the biggest Mikko Rantanen fan on this site would argue that he's better than Aho!

• Love
Reactions: McRegular and Murzu

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's no surprise Guentzel meshes with Aho. Sebastian is similar to Crosby in his competitiveness and the way he can compete against bigger players, solid IQ. Obviously Aho isn't the superstar offensively that Sid was, but he puts up similar numbers to old Sid and has the motor and skating of a younger player. Jarvis is good in tight spaces and competes for a smaller player too so it's a good fit.

Obviously, average of 5'11"/177 lbs isn't exactly ideal for playoff hockey, but then again, probably doesn't matter as much as it used to. Maybe some of the Western teams could probably exploit it more than the East.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
12.11.10.9.8 and Carolina is out of the playoffs again
Good thing you barely post, using the ignore feature on you won't matter to anything meaningful.

Back to the topic at hand. Those are pretty impressive numbers. No wonder why they have been winning so much during this last stretch of the season.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Honestly baffled no one was willing to give up more for Guentzal. Canes finally traded for a game breaker at the deadline, they have been way too passive the last few years.
He's made it pretty clear that he fully intends to test the market, and teams have really cooled on trading big assets for pure rentals with no real chance to re-sign. As they should have, it's always been a sucker's game. Even then, the Pens got a lot of very serious prospects in that deal.

But it is really damn fun to watch.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Jake is great and it’s hard to believe Jarvis just turned 22 but the biggest takeaway for me is that Aho continues to be the most underrated superstar in the league.

People love to debate Rantanen or Barkov as the top Finnish forward. I think I may take Aho over both of them.
I would take playoff Rantanen over Aho easily. Don't get me wrong, I like both of them, but IMO Aho is just a tad too bit small to be a menace in the playoffs.

Reactions: BKarchitect

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Excellent acquisition by Carolina. Their management team is elite.

Honestly baffled no one was willing to give up more for Guentzal. Canes finally traded for a game breaker at the deadline, they have been way too passive the last few years.

May seem that way on the surface, but their philosophy is geared more towards making roster moves in the offseason (and getting a full season for the new players, as well as time to gel) rather than at the TD when prices are higher. And they were very aggressive in their pursuit of Meier at the TD last year.

I believe that a contributing factor to the Canes management team being elite is that they recognize when a deal goes past the point of making sense and they don't try to force something that just isn't there.

Last edited:

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
I would take playoff Rantanen over Aho easily. Don't get me wrong, I like both of them, but IMO Aho is just a tad too bit small to be a menace in the playoffs.
he is a menace in the playoffs though

1711993228915.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad