Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think we'll see something at the deadline for sure. I'm not sure Owen Sound will be sellers, NB needs to recoup picks, one would think.
As of right now, NB is only without a ‘26-2nd while having extra 5ths & 6ths. Though they cannot use ‘24(2, 4)* and ‘25(2, 3)* during this season.
Sudbury and Saginaw are the teams that could outbid us with the number of picks they have... it'll be interesting that's for sure.
Sudbury is most definitely well positioned to buy.
Guelph using 2-2nds and the first pick of the 3rd in the past draft are more able to afford trading their 2023-1st than most teams.
Saginaw has already moved 2nd picks from the 2022 & 2021 drafts.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think we'll see something at the deadline for sure. I'm not sure Owen Sound will be sellers, NB needs to recoup picks, one would think.

Sudbury and Saginaw are the teams that could outbid us with the number of picks they have... it'll be interesting that's for sure.
I have Saginaw and Sudbury as 100% all in putting everything they have on this season. Saginaw as the host and Sudbury? How many years has it been since they really contended. They have the roster and assets. I can’t see them being conservative this year.

I feel Guelph is right behind these two. They have the roster, assets, and of course could choose to move their ‘23 1st rounder.

Owen Sound and London I don’t believe have the asset base to compete with the above three at the deadline.

If it’s a top D that the Storm is in the market for, Hunter Brzustewicz is right there behind Nelson as veteran D who should be made available in January. Sudbury may have already addressed their D with their trade with Windsor.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I have Saginaw and Sudbury as 100% all in putting everything they have on this season. Saginaw as the host and Sudbury? How many years has it been since they really contended. They have the roster and assets. I can’t see them being conservative this year.
I don’t think the wolves have won a single game in round 2 since 2007.
I am hopeful they do not save for two runs over 2-3 seasons, instead add to the point that three pretty good central division teams in Barrie, Miss, & NB just quit on this season.
I think NB is happy with their 2006-07 and pick situation though; and will let it ride on DiiVincentis, Nelson, & OAs.
Leenders seems ready, Miss could trade Ivankovic!!!
I feel Guelph is right behind these two. They have the roster, assets, and of course could choose to move their ‘23 1st rounder.

Owen Sound and London I don’t believe have the asset base to compete with the above three at the deadline.

If it’s a top D that the Storm is in the market for, Hunter Brzustewicz is right there behind Nelson as veteran D who should be made available in January. Sudbury may have already addressed their D with their trade with Windsor.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I am hopeful they do not save for two runs over 2-3 seasons, instead add to the point that three pretty good central division teams in Barrie, Miss, & NB just quit on this season.
I think NB is happy with their 2006-07 and pick situation though; and will let it ride on DiiVincentis, Nelson, & OAs.
I was thinking of Missy making noise as well by making one of Leenders or Ivankovic available.

With their strong cast of young players, I could see a Rehkopf to Missy for Ivankovic + picks in an Owen Beck type deal. They’ve have Rehkopf for two runs.

It could be expended where Parsons goes with Rehkopf in the deal as insurance giving Missy a pretty strong one two punch in net.

But will Missy want to move Ivankovic?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Many have Brzustewicz to Saginaw as a natural deal. But I’m thinking Saginaw may decide to go hard after NB’s goalie in a blockbuster that could include Nelson as well. They’re the host. Why not go after the best goalie in the league.

That could leave Brzustewicz available to Guelph.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
This is the guelph thread so don't want to derail this too much but it's not just about getting back to even on your draft stock. You have to have a large surplus for future team building. If NB doesn't get a large portion of that surplus built this season, who are they moving to make it happen after this year? They can hold on if they want, but they're going to set themselves up for a lot of pain down the road if they don't at least move one of their big names.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This is the guelph thread so don't want to derail this too much but it's not just about getting back to even on your draft stock. You have to have a large surplus for future team building. If NB doesn't get a large portion of that surplus built this season, who are they moving to make it happen after this year? They can hold on if they want, but they're going to set themselves up for a lot of pain down the road if they don't at least move one of their big names.
I’m not all certain that is the case with NB. They have played 8-2006 born this season; and, their 2nd best goalie also born 2006 has yet to play. There will be 2007 born 3, 4, 3-5th round picked players looking to crack the line-up next season.

The pain down the road will be Barrie & Miss absolutely loaded with 2005-06, then Niagara should they get a lottery pick report again next season.

Maybe NB should run with the roster they have and re-tool next season.
They could move Romani, Wakely, VanSteensel; and though not likely, Mathurin considering he has just 50 OHL regular season games played so far.

Last edited:

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I’m not all certain that is the case with NB. They have played 8-2006 born this season; and, their 2nd best goalie also born 2006 has yet to play. There will be 2007 born 3, 4, 3-5th round picked players looking to crack the line-up next season.

The pain down the road will be Barrie & Miss absolutely loaded with 2005-06, then Niagara should they get a lottery pick report again next season.

Maybe NB should run with the roster they have and re-tool next season.
They could move Romani, Wakely, VanSteensel; and though not likely, Mathurin considering he has just 50 OHL regular season games played so far.
If they let Dom and Nelson graduate it slows down any retooling. That being said, if they are near top of the standings at the deadline they may just run with it.

Poitras with an assist in his first regular season game with the Bruins. One of 9 games down.

Reactions: dirty12

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
If they let Dom and Nelson graduate it slows down any retooling. That being said, if they are near top of the standings at the deadline they may just run with it.

Poitras with an assist in his first regular season game with the Bruins. One of 9 games down.
I don't think Poitras is coming back to Guelph. He's made a lot of noise so far in Boston and they have a clear need for his services. Great for the player but definitely feel for Guelph fans potentially losing such a fantastic player.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would not like any team with a chance of 3 or more playoff rounds re-tool.
With NB, I don’t see benefit. They can punt this season and next, yet still likely to be no better than 3rd in division behind Barrie & Miss for 2025-26.
For Guelph’s sake and my playoff viewing pleasure, I really want Poitras returned.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I don't think Poitras is coming back to Guelph. He's made a lot of noise so far in Boston and they have a clear need for his services. Great for the player but definitely feel for Guelph fans potentially losing such a fantastic player.
This may certainly be the case. I've been impressed with the wins they've strung together in his absence and the development of a few others this season... Boston's choice will be a difficult one, there's no guarantee as they may want him getting top line minutes here instead of 3rd line there. Who knows. We'll all find out in a few weeks... I'm counting down regardless. 🤣

On a side note, if you search his name on Twitter people in Boston are talking about him like he's the second coming... some funny memes.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
As a long time Bruin fan I think Poitras gets sent back to Guelph eventfully. He is their top prospect and a skilled player with serious potential to be great. Still Bruins seldom give young players a shot right off the hop. The only way they keep him is if he puts up consistent numbers every game. Even Bedard who never leaves the ice struggles at times in the NHL. Hate to see the kid get injured and have to be sent back.

storm gust

Nov 5, 2017
Let’s hope you are right bobber. Without Poitras the Storm are a middle of the pack team. He gives us a real first line and a power play with ability to score.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
We will know before the end of October especially with 7 games in 12 nights and early November schedule not much lighter.
Fingers crossed as that is a lot to expect but he has certainly opened a lot of eyes to his talent

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
If Poitras is back George likely pushes all the chips in. The standings now are misleading as we have a couple games in hand on the top teams in the West. Goalies are looking solid after this short time frame, add Poitras Allen and you add 1C plus a top 4 D before any trades.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Many have Brzustewicz to Saginaw as a natural deal. But I’m thinking Saginaw may decide to go hard after NB’s goalie in a blockbuster that could include Nelson as well. They’re the host. Why not go after the best goalie in the league.

That could leave Brzustewicz available to Guelph.
I agree I totally see Saginaw doing that. Their goaltending will not be enough to compete in the M cup right now and not enough against a team like London for the O with all the talent they have and they just acquired Simpson.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Just putting a Charlie Paquette appreciation post here... it might help me process the Poitras situation. :oops:

Paquette is off to a strong start with 8 points in 9 games. And we all know how his game is so valuable come playoff time, it's nice to see this offensive output from him.

Luchanko is also stepping up in year 2 with 6 points in the first 9.

This season could turn out to be more like the 2014 Storm with spread out scoring.

Happy for Gillespie that his hard work in the summer is paying off, top of the goalie stats and I wouldn't say that the defense in front of him has been a strong point.

The rookies are getting a ton of ice time, in all situations which will only help their development.

George has options as we congratulate Matt on his success and wish him well at the next level!!

Reactions: Living Vicariously

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Can anyone comment on Rylan Singh's inclusion in the U17? Obviously, great news for Singh. But he is probably the biggest flyer pick from the OHL players on the roster, IMO. There were many other D considered better prospects at the start of the summer. And in limited action in the OHL thus far, I'm surprised he had enough opportunity to make a strong case for himself to be included.

Must have had a great summer meeting?

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
He had an impressive preseason

In 6 games 5 pts even quarterbacking the powerplay with 3 assists. Got hurt game one the first shift i think and never returned and then out the next few games injured.

At this point looks like a 3rd round steal at # 43 is confirmed with the summer and this invite.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Can anyone comment on Rylan Singh's inclusion in the U17? Obviously, great news for Singh. But he is probably the biggest flyer pick from the OHL players on the roster, IMO. There were many other D considered better prospects at the start of the summer. And in limited action in the OHL thus far, I'm surprised he had enough opportunity to make a strong case for himself to be included.

Must have had a great summer meeting?
He was ranked by some as a 1st round OHL pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad