Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Wonder if the Storm GM sends a tape of Fantino's hit in the first on Beachesne? Refs call it five then let him off scott free.
Refs are totally incompetent not only in junior but in pro too. Not sure if it's all the challenges thrown at them or the speed of the game is passing them by.
Haha watch the replay. That was the right call. Fantino barely touched him. I get the refs messed up a ton tonight. They have all series. And apparently not just ours. But they got that call right.

HolyRoller

Feb 1, 2010
Wonder if the Storm GM sends a tape of Fantino's hit in the first on Beachesne? Refs call it five then let him off scott free.
Refs are totally incompetent not only in junior but in pro too. Not sure if it's all the challenges thrown at them or the speed of the game is passing them by.
Send a tape? What is this? 1998?

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Haha. They actually made the right call to start as well. Calling the 5 gives them the ability to look at it again. Should have done that with the namestnikov hit.

And I'm good with that original 5 min call. Maybe it will lead to more correct calls in thr future. Cause this league needs refs that make the right calls and are held accountable when garbage like that last penalty tonight happens. I'm a hounds fan and that call in the last 15 seconds was absolute garbage.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Soo celebration at the end of game looked like they won the Mem cup. Guess they did not get the memo we were missing our entire first line and first power play unit. We also played our 4 16yr olds the entire game and they added a goal.

We were 1 for 2 on the pp and had 3 or 4 shorthanded breakaways on their 6 pp's.

I can see how they were thumped the last game by Saginaw as the team we saw tonight will be lucky to win a game. Soo's goaltending will not be good enough considering we are one of the lowest scoring teams.
We need a to catch a break from the injuries, suspensions and now the reffing.

Well done Storm - proud of the effort tonight and you deserved the win all things considered.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Haha. They actually made the right call to start as well. Calling the 5 gives them the ability to look at it again. Should have done that with the namestnikov hit.

And I'm good with that original 5 min call. Maybe it will lead to more correct calls in thr future. Cause this league needs refs that make the right calls and are held accountable when garbage like that last penalty tonight happens. I'm a hounds fan and that call in the last 15 seconds was absolute garbage.

As Dean says egregious

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Soo celebration at the end of game looked like they won the Mem cup. Guess they did not get the memo we were missing our entire first line and first power play unit. We also played our 4 16yr olds the entire game and they added a goal.

We were 1 for 2 on the pp and had 3 or 4 shorthanded breakaways on their 6 pp's.

I can see how they were thumped the last game by Saginaw as the team we saw tonight will be lucky to win a game. Soo's goaltending will not be good enough considering we are one of the lowest scoring teams.

Well done Storm - proud of the effort tonight and you deserved the win all things considered.
Soo fan here.. Thank you for all your comments. Just so we’re transparent, that thumping came with our top 4 players out and backup in against Saginaw’s whole team. And Saginaw celebrated every goal like it was the memorial cup. So we’re in the same boat there. I can promise you if Saginaw was beating you they would be no better.

I agree with you completely. We need to be at our best and much better to compete with Saginaw. But this series isn’t over yet as the Storm continues to give the Hounds fits. Cheers and enjoy the rest of the series.

Reactions: staubitz

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Soo fan here.. Thank you for all your comments. Just so we’re transparent, that thumping came with our top 4 players out and backup in against Saginaw’s whole team. And Saginaw celebrated every goal like it was the memorial cup. So we’re in the same boat there. I can promise you if Saginaw was beating you they would be no better.

I agree with you completely. We need to be at our best and much better to compete with Saginaw. But this series isn’t over yet as the Storm continues to give the Hounds fits. Cheers and enjoy the rest of the series.

Should Dean not share some of the blame knowing it was a must win game for Saginaw and he chose to rest players and not compete and whine when he lost.

I remember Farwell saying after game 1 (which Kitchener won) from pre game interviews that Saginaw began the year thinking they just needed to show up to win this year. That seems to be who they are.

I believe from post game comments Dean also similarly disrespected the Storm saying something about getting them back and looking past us.

Unfortunately, it should be a short series since as you know it is hard to compete without your top players.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
The league seems to have a serious refereeing problem.
Don't know how or why more games are now decided by questionable if not obvious wrong calls. Eeeeeespecially with all the time they spend on tablets reviewing

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
The league seems to have a serious refereeing problem.
Don't know how or why more games are now decided by questionable if not obvious wrong calls. Especially with all the time they spend on tablets reviewing the plays.
Not a good look and needs to be cleaned up in my opinion

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
thats what they do, they cut the video and send it into the league.

kids are going to celebrate an overtime victory in the playoffs. doesnt matter the context. you can be proud of your teams efforts, but also get that its a game and kids will love to win

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
thats what they do, they cut the video and send it into the league.

kids are going to celebrate an overtime victory in the playoffs. doesnt matter the context. you can be proud of your teams efforts, but also get that its a game and kids will love to win
The Soo players were saluting their fans in the stands that followed the team to Guelph. That's a decent thing to do. Shows they do appreciate their fan base. Junior hockey could very well be the last time many have fans.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The Soo players were saluting their fans in the stands that followed the team to Guelph. That's a decent thing to do. Shows they do appreciate their fan base. Junior hockey could very well be the last time many have fans.
ya, i didnt see it but any celebration when winning a game in overtime in the playoffs is fine. did they throw their gloves and helmets off and have friends and family on the ice? no? then its probably fine.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
ya, i didnt see it but any celebration when winning a game in overtime in the playoffs is fine. did they throw their gloves and helmets off and have friends and family on the ice? no? then its probably fine.
It was fine. Honestly, it happens during regular season games that are won in OT as well. I always think it is a good thing for the other team to see and let that sink in....

That was the least of my concerns last night.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It was fine. Honestly, it happens during regular season games that are won in OT as well. I always think it is a good thing for the other team to see and let that sink in....

That was the least of my concerns last night.
for sure, im not sure which of the two referees called that, but wow, i get that the storm gave up a lead but what an unforgivable call. good for wiseman for not just taking it.

Reactions: Slowpace

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
for sure, im not sure which of the two referees called that, but wow, i get that the storm gave up a lead but what an unforgivable call. good for wiseman for not just taking it.
Well, the funny part is, Jackson made the call but Wiseman let Beer have it. Maybe because Beer is a managing official (that ought to give an indication of the state of the nation right there...) and shouldn't have let Jackson make that crap call in the first place. They could have reviewed it - they already did once before in the same game.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well, the funny part is, Jackson made the call but Wiseman let Beer have it. Maybe because Beer is a managing official (that ought to give an indication of the state of the nation right there...) and shouldn't have let Jackson make that crap call in the first place. They could have reviewed it - they already did once before in the same game.
they 100 percent have the power and should have. its bizarre, this year seems to be awful with referees and suspensions, worst year ive seen in like 10 years

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023

Good, but he will likely/should be suspended for his abuse of an official to further compound the situation

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Good, but he will likely/should be suspended for his abuse of an official to further compound the situation
The refs have suspended a few coaches lately for abuse of officials. The league is at fault. They keep changing the narrative by adding coaches challenges and reviews of every goal and offside. Plus one game a player can get run over with a hit like a Mack Truck. No call. A legal hit next game player gets 4 or 5 games. It's confusing as hell watching some of the reffing decisions now. Also there are some refs that just plain screw up and get a reputation. Those refs you can't argue with because it's one sided.

Jay R

Mar 30, 2024
Soo fan here and I watched the game and you guys are 100 percent right that was probably one of the worse calls these playoffs, that's not the way a game should end. Side note the officiating this year inn a whole has been brutal.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
Terrible call by the ref.
Officiating in this league is at least 2 levels below quality of players and coaches. A disgrace really.
What they need to do is if they think it's a head shot make it 5 mins. Then they can review it and take it down to a 2 or nothing at all. This should be standard practice. That call last night was AWFUL.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Beer officiated game 2 in the Bay with Ferguson. Absolute dumpster fire of a performance from both. You can see Ferguson skating around and smirking while the entire crowd boos him after a missed call. I’m not suggesting it’s intentional behaviour but when you consistently get ripped on by various crowds it might be time to sit back and think “Hey maybe I am as dogshit as they say I am” OR better yet the employer (OHL) should start holding them accountable for poor performance. Quick to suspend these kids in the name of player safety but what about the guys that manage the game? We as fans pay good money to attend these games and poor officiating can kill a good game. Seems more apparent this season than years past

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Wow guys! Man oh man. I’ve been watching this league for decades and I’ve seen a ton of bad calls, but that one might take the cake. Really unfortunate absolutely disgraceful.

Reactions: Living Vicariously

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad