News Article: Gudbranson Scare

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
From the Sun-Sentinel:

Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson, who's out for 2-4 weeks after undergoing orbital bone surgery, nearly was in far dire danger than originally thought during two recent incidents.

Gudbranson was slashed in the leg in Montreal on Dec. 15 and was forced to leave the game after playing just 6:25. The cut was so bad it needed 20 stitches and if he hadn't gotten immediate attention could've possibly bled out on the bench, a source said.

Then when he got hit in the face with a puck in Winnipeg, he actually returned after getting stitched up and finished the game. On the plane ride home he blew his nose and blew out his orbital bone, which required surgery. He's on the mend.

That is crazy to think that he could have bled out on the bench. He is definitely one tough SOB.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Barch tweeted ( then deleted) a pic of the gash, it was pretty scary looking. Mid thigh ran up from above the knee in a straight line (IIRC).

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I'm no doctor but it looked like it wasn't that deep of a cut just split the skin pretty nasty. Barch said they both wear Kevlar socks too. Barch also had a nasty cut across the Achilles' tendon area.

TheEkbombIsReal

Paaaaaanthers
Aug 19, 2011
Gothenburg
From the Sun-Sentinel:

Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson, who's out for 2-4 weeks after undergoing orbital bone surgery, nearly was in far dire danger than originally thought during two recent incidents.

Gudbranson was slashed in the leg in Montreal on Dec. 15 and was forced to leave the game after playing just 6:25. The cut was so bad it needed 20 stitches and if he hadn't gotten immediate attention could've possibly bled out on the bench, a source said.

Then when he got hit in the face with a puck in Winnipeg, he actually returned after getting stitched up and finished the game. On the plane ride home he blew his nose and blew out his orbital bone, which required surgery. He's on the mend.

That is crazy to think that he could have bled out on the bench. He is definitely one tough SOB.

:amazed::amazed::amazed:

Holy ****, that must've hurt.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Think his moms gonna make him wear a shield?

A shield wouldn't have helped much as deflected pucks usually rise up from underneath the player. Unfortunately that's hockey and that's why they make millions. I'm just glad there was no damage to his eyes. Hope the big guy can get better soon; Guddy was just beginning to hit his stride. One thing is for sure; this guy is tough as nails.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
honestly, i'd like to see all our players wear a shield. some protection for the eyes and face. you can still be a tough guy with a shield!

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
How long until they're all wearing kevlar socks already? And honestly, they might as well all wear full face shields/cages. If the NFL does it, the NHL might as well where it's even more dangerous. This is scary stuff.

Jan 19, 2006
How long until they're all wearing kevlar socks already? And honestly, they might as well all wear full face shields/cages. If the NFL does it, the NHL might as well where it's even more dangerous. This is scary stuff.

Very scary.

I think full head and face protection for all players is inevitable - and I think it will go beyond what is currently seen on NHL ice.

With all the R&D money that is surely getting poured into head protection these days, I think you'll see a transparent full face shield/cage integrated with the latest helmet tech (aimed at concussion reduction) and tied into a sleeve to protect the neck (Kevlar?)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I'm not opposed to cages, but I am opposed to forcing mandatory equipment. Guddy started with a half shield but removed it after a couple weeks or so.. Also, how quickly people forget about the Zednik incident. I remember neck guards were a hot issue after it happened. In fact, I think they force junior hockey players to wear them now ever since the Zednik incident. Reality is.. "Zednik" related incidents are rare. That's why they haven't applied a mandatory neck guard rule in the NHL.

The decision should be in the players' hands.

Last edited:

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
I'm not opposed to cages, but I am opposed to forcing mandatory equipment. Guddy started with a half shield but removed it after a couple weeks or so.. Also, how quickly people forget about the Zednik incident. I remember neck guards were a hot issue after it happened. In fact, I think they force junior hockey players to wear them now ever since the Zednik incident. Reality is.. "Zednik" related incidents are rare. That's why they haven't applied a mandatory neck guard rule in the NHL.

The decision should be in the players' hands.

Those incidents are rare, yes. Injuries to the face are really not. Between high sticks and flyings pucks, it's not an uncommon occurrence.

If we are going to force helmets though, can we please enforce they tighten their chinstraps? Guys like Kopecky are playing dangerously.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Those incidents are rare, yes. Injuries to the face are really not. Between high sticks and flyings pucks, it's not an uncommon occurrence.

If we are going to force helmets though, can we please enforce they tighten their chinstraps? Guys like Kopecky are playing dangerously.

Kopecky's helmet comes off a lot more than other players' helmets. He needs a master-lock on that thing. ;)

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Guds is one tough player. He's lucky they have a great medical staff. We know how it's been with Zednik in past history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad