Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
This is ridiculously stupid. Almost every single comedian in modern history has said something just as offensive.

Hollywood does this but hasn't seriously gone after their studio heads for actually problematic behaviour. How does firing gun help anybody?

Those tweets are disgusting.

100% agree with Disney here

So why is Gunn behind fired now, after he's made Disney a couple billion dollars? Gunn wasn't some unknown when this happened, and crude comedy like those tweets was very common (and accepted) at the time he made those tweets. For Disney to claim they this is newly discovered is absurd.

Shall we go back and police comments made by all public figures? Disney is making the wrong choice here.

Last edited:
Reactions: shello

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Who honestly goes through tweets from so long ago...

Mike Cernovich. Gunn is a VERY outspoken SJW on Twitter and he drew the attention of MAGA twitter.

It’s hard to fault Disney based on the content of those tweets, but they have capitulated to a very dangerous and disingenuous group of people.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Even worse, didn't Disney do their damn homework on who they were hiring in the first place??? The guy wrote for Troma and is BFFs with Jimmy Urine from Mindless Self Indulgence, for crying out loud!

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
These retroactive punishments for old comments are out of control. I mean, South Park had an entire show that poked fun at NAMBLA. They never apologized for it and have been allowed to remain on the air all these years, and somehow the world hasn't imploded.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
These retroactive punishments for old comments are out of control. I mean, South Park had an entire show that poked fun at NAMBLA. They never apologized for it and have been allowed to remain on the air all these years, and somehow the world hasn't imploded.

That's probably more because it's Comedy Central and not Disney. Disney also employed George Carlin who made rape jokes live among myriad other things, Eddie Murphy who made fun of gays among myriad other things and was caught with hookers, Cheech Marin who made a career out of drug comedy. Yet James Gunn is the one who gets fired.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly he kinda deserves it for a few reasons:

1. He was stupid enough to tweet absolute nonsense like this. Like why do you think it's okay to tweet "The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!'” It's not funny (tho rape rarely, if ever is) and it just comes off as really distasteful and trying to be edgy

2. The fact he tweeted so much about kids/pedophile insinuations makes me seriously wonder if this dude has more skeletons in his closet. More of the tweets dug up here paint a really disturbing picture as almost all of those tweets have pedo references/thoughts with almost no context. James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 over offensive tweets (almost makes me believe Disney might have known/believed the same thing, they can't be associated with that)

3. He wasn't smart enough to think about what he was tweeting or to go back and scrub it.

Something stinks about those tweets in particular. Normal people don't just go hooting and hollering about how funny rape and child sexual abuse is.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Mike Cernovich. Gunn is a VERY outspoken SJW on Twitter and he drew the attention of MAGA twitter.

It’s hard to fault Disney based on the content of those tweets, but they have capitulated to a very dangerous and disingenuous group of people.

Does it really matter who was behind uncovering it? Would it have been better if the "SJW" community had outed him? They had up to 10 years to do it. If he was so outspoken, then a lot of his audience knew all of this time that he said things like this and did nothing about it. Because of that, it had to be outsiders bringing it to light and it seems like you're trying to make this about them, not about the one who said it or those who looked the other way. I don't get the feeling that the narrative would be the same if the sides were reversed.

Last edited:

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
Honestly he kinda deserves it for a few reasons:

1. He was stupid enough to tweet absolute nonsense like this. Like why do you think it's okay to tweet "The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!'” It's not funny (tho rape rarely, if ever is) and it just comes off as really distasteful and trying to be edgy

2. The fact he tweeted so much about kids/pedophile insinuations makes me seriously wonder if this dude has more skeletons in his closet. More of the tweets dug up here paint a really disturbing picture as almost all of those tweets have pedo references/thoughts with almost no context. James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 over offensive tweets (almost makes me believe Disney might have known/believed the same thing, they can't be associated with that)

3. He wasn't smart enough to think about what he was tweeting or to go back and scrub it.

Something stinks about those tweets in particular. Normal people don't just go hooting and hollering about how funny rape and child sexual abuse is.

People need to lighten the F up. I haven't seen the tweets and I may not be laughing at pedophilia jokes but that rape joke made me laugh :laugh:

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Can't even make jokes anymore. SMH.

People really need to lighten up, there's comedians who make livings off of offensive jokes (yes I know he's not a comedian, but a joke is a joke). It's fine if some people took offense (they take offense to those comedians too) but it's nothing to lose a job over.

Not to mention the tweets are old af. People on twitter love digging up old tweets in attempt to ruin people.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Those tweets are disgusting.

100% agree with Disney here

Disney was okay with it originally, and knew of his shock humor origins. They only clapped back on him because a certain group of gasbags complained after Gunn's activism.

Given the time elapsed, that Gunn had already apologized several times, that his employer was fully aware of his past and the crowd demanding his firing, the situation takes on a different light.

Reactions: shello

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Regardless of one's views of pedo jokes, my advice is to never use them on twitter of all things.

Or any jokes that aren't knock knock jokes. Hell, maybe not even them.

Without facial cues, vocal tones and well structured context, shocking/dark jokes and humor in general DO NOT WORK. And twitter writings contain none of those three factors. Don't know how much hell I'd want to throw in Gunn's direction, but this is yet another lesson in learning how to not be stupid on social media.

Either way, my interest in the third volume of this series is gone. I'm not over the hill about GOTG, but it's the one Marvel line of films that I can actually tolerate over their feature lengths. Chris Pratt can only do so much.

Reactions: Moon Man

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Disney was okay with it originally, and knew of his shock humor origins. They only clapped back on him because a certain group of gasbags complained after Gunn's activism.

Given the time elapsed, that Gunn had already apologized several times, that his employer was fully aware of his past and the crowd demanding his firing, the situation takes on a different light.

Disney should have canned him long ago then.

I dont care that some idiot is making a stink about them for political brownie points. They are reprehensible and disgusting comments.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Disney should have canned him long ago then.

I dont care that some idiot is making a stink about them for political brownie points. They are reprehensible and disgusting comments.

They're old shock humor jokes. Disney still employs people like Johnny Depp and John Lasseter. You know, people who are actively shitty. Way to buy into the faux outrage.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
At this point, why would you even have a Twitter account if you're a public figure?

I don't like seeing people get fired based words/Tweets, but Disney did what they had to do from a PR business perspective.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
I think he was fired because there were just thousands of pedophile jokes and he was talking about his semen everywhere. All of this when he makes movies for kids.

You should probably delete your thousands upon thousands of pedophile jokes that are publicly available when you start making children’s movies. Also the ones of how excited he was viewing certain things.

Why make thousands of tweets pretending to be a pedophile in the first place?

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
While not the same, this reminds me of how Harlan Ellison got fired on his first day working for Disney. He was basically joking with the other writers at lunch about Mickey Mouse doing an adult film and mimicking several character voices in the act of it.

He came back from lunch to find a pink slip on his desk. He didn't realize the studio heads were sitting at a table across from him.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Gunn's twitter "jokes" are really bizarre. How he or anyone else could find them funny is puzzling.

They're not even 4Chan-style funny. Just strange.

Reactions: Moon Man

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Disney should have given him the chance to apologize (again) and we all move on.

The same applies to Roseanne for you people who want to play the “gotcha” game.

Realistically, I don’t care what the guy says in terms of his personal opinions provided he makes a good film.

He’s not the President or anything. He’s an entertainer.

But I guess a company named for a Nazi sympathizer needs to be careful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad