Grubauer vs Francouz

Grubauer vs Francouz

• Total voters

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
In the playoffs, Grubauer has proven to play with ice in his veins.

But in the regular season, we've seen him struggle with consistency, injuries, and honestly attitude with some of the comments he's made to the media.

Francouz (though injured), stunk up the joint in the playoffs. But in the regular season he was never pulled and at one point started 12/13 games (which included starting both games in (3) back-to-backs), ultimately finishing 21-7-4.

My money says we see close to a 50-50 split, rather than the 65-35 (Grubauer-Francouz) split Bednar said we'd see.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Frankie might have issues with rebound control, but Grubi has the single worst glove hand in the league. Grubi's success comes from excellent positioning, but between 50% and 70% of the time Moser exclaims that Grubi makes the save, he had zero - and I mean zero - idea where the puck actually was. This is the 21st century, and everyone has a video team. Do you think a single NHL team does not now know that Grubi has real difficulty in his upper glove hand corner? The only coach I know that does not realize that is apparently Bednar.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Frankie might have issues with rebound control, but Grubi has the single worst glove hand in the league. Grubi's success comes from excellent positioning, but between 50% and 70% of the time Moser exclaims that Grubi makes the save, he had zero - and I mean zero - idea where the puck actually was. This is the 21st century, and everyone has a video team. Do you think a single NHL team does not now know that Grubi has real difficulty in his upper glove hand corner? The only coach I know that does not realize that is apparently Bednar.
I think he has been very good overall since the begining of the season. No complaints here.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think he has been very good overall since the begining of the season. No complaints here.

Grubauer has a .952 sv% in his last 2 starts, and .931 for the season in 4 starts.

That glove hand is what it is but if he keeps up putting up numbers like that there's nothing to complain about.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Matt Murray has entered the chat

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I don't know exactly what happened but Grubauer looks different this year. I think he has fully embraced being an Av now and according to the DNVR podcast Bednar said something about improved commitment as well. He's our clear #1 in my books now and hopefully will be for a long time.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
An extended rest has really benefited Grubauer. What we need to hope for is Frankie to come back sooner rather than later so we do not overwork Gru.

Reactions: klozge

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
An extended rest has really benefited Grubauer. What we need to hope for is Frankie to come back sooner rather than later so we do not overwork Gru.
Cant imagine how rusty that groin is going to be when he gets back. Joe Sakic for all the good hes done never addressed the 2 biggest concerns facing the Avs after the post season and now both of those issues are at his doorstep.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Grubauer has a .952 sv% in his last 2 starts, and .931 for the season in 4 starts.

That glove hand is what it is but if he keeps up putting up numbers like that there's nothing to complain about.

Two games at 95% is terrific. However, for the 4 game average to be 93%, that means the other two games were a decidedly average 91%. (32nd for full timers last year. 2019-20 NHL Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com)

Of course, there was last night's game, where he posted a spectacular 85.7%, with both goals beating him on - you guessed it - his upper glove corner. I don't particularly hate Grubi. His body positioning and anticipation are well above average. But his left hand is nothing new. It was an issue in Washington and it has been a constant issue here. The big problem is that his body of work is large enough for other teams to take note, and plan accordingly. I'll give Parkkila the benefit of the doubt, and assume he has noticed. So that means Grubi either won't or can't fix this, and other teams will capitalize.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad