Growth of women's sports

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

A unicorn like Caitlin Clark, skilled, playing with enthusiasm and passion, bring more interest, viewers to women's sports.

Not just NCAA WBB, but any sport can benefit.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
You can see how clear the "Clark Effect" is based on the Regional Finals from Monday, and the Final Four from Friday...

12.3 million - Iowa vs LSU (7:15 pm ESPN, Monday)
6.7 million - UConn vs USC (9:15 pm ESPN, Monday)

It would be easy to say that "Well, less people stayed up late for the 9:15 pm game." But...

7.1 million - So Carolina vs NC State (7:00 pm ESPN Friday)
14.2 million - Iowa vs UConn (9:30 pm ESPN Friday)

Out of ALL March Madness games, Men or Women, by TV ratings:
Iowa WBB was #1, #4, #6, #17, #27 and #39

Non-Iowa WBB games were #16, #18, #35, #40

South Carolina in the Elite 8, on Sunday at 1 pm (WITH NO MBB competition!) drew less viewers than Iowa vs Holy Cross, which was a 1 vs 16 game, on Saturday, going against Kansas-Gonzaga on CBS (drawing 8.28m viewers).

So while I love it, I'm also terrified the NCAA doesn't capitalize on it.

The normalization of women's sports is the thing, and it would behoove the NCAA to stop making the WBB Tourney and MBB Tourney competing products for 3 out of 4 days the first two weekends.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
You can see how clear the "Clark Effect" is based on the Regional Finals from Monday, and the Final Four from Friday...

12.3 million - Iowa vs LSU (7:15 pm ESPN, Monday)
6.7 million - UConn vs USC (9:15 pm ESPN, Monday)

It would be easy to say that "Well, less people stayed up late for the 9:15 pm game." But...

7.1 million - So Carolina vs NC State (7:00 pm ESPN Friday)
14.2 million - Iowa vs UConn (9:30 pm ESPN Friday)

Out of ALL March Madness games, Men or Women, by TV ratings:
Iowa WBB was #1, #4, #6, #17, #27 and #39

Non-Iowa WBB games were #16, #18, #35, #40

South Carolina in the Elite 8, on Sunday at 1 pm (WITH NO MBB competition!) drew less viewers than Iowa vs Holy Cross, which was a 1 vs 16 game, on Saturday, going against Kansas-Gonzaga on CBS (drawing 8.28m viewers).

So while I love it, I'm also terrified the NCAA doesn't capitalize on it.

The normalization of women's sports is the thing, and it would behoove the NCAA to stop making the WBB Tourney and MBB Tourney competing products for 3 out of 4 days the first two weekends.
Wish minor men sports could get this type of attention

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Haven't really added all that many new accounts on my social media this year, but I have sure noticed a lot more women's basketball(pro/college) and women's hockey popping up in my feed the past few months.

The hockey I somewhat get just because being Canadian there are a bunch of people from the major networks that are talking about it more.

But the Basketball sure has shot off. Seems a lot more various accounts I follow from Canada and the USA are really talking about the sport more.

Good to see something new rather than the same old stories or memes popping up on my feeds. Giving me something different to read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad