World Cup: Group H: Poland vs. Senegal, 6/19/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Both Egypt & Tunisia almost tied Uruguay & England :dunno:
African and Asians are't what they were 30 years ago. A lot of very talented players use to play for big clubs today. So it's not like they are underdogs like Haiti (for example) in 74.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
It will be interesting to see Senegal in the next games. They defend well, but their attack was pretty meh, both goals were just lucky, rather than resulting from buildup.

Reactions: PickleRick

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Just for what its worth though, I don't think I've ever seen a player being waved to come onto the pitch after being out for treatment in a spot and at a time when there's a chance he could directly interfere in play. That's highly unusual and eyebrow-raising.

That doesn't excuse Poland's errors in that situation (and that backpass was stupid and poorly executed as well), but at the same time it's terrible officiating.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Just for what its worth though, I don't think I've ever seen a player being waved to come onto the pitch after being out for treatment in a spot and at a time when there's a chance he could directly interfere in play. That's highly unusual and eyebrow-raising.

That doesn't excuse Poland's errors in that situation (and that backpass was stupid and poorly executed as well), but at the same time it's terrible officiating.

He came onto the field before the back pass, but on the other hand the poles did not have clear control of the ball. The referee should have waited until the poles were firmly in control of the ball before allowing on. Of course, the poles mistakes were even bigger. The back pass, the uncommitted defender looking back instead of running towards the ball, the goalie coming out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
African and Asians are't what they were 30 years ago. A lot of very talented players use to play for big clubs today. So it's not like they are underdogs like Haiti (for example) in 74.

I think part of that is the distribution at the moment. You've got guys like Auba are as dangerous as many of the african greats of our youth, but who won't ever play at the WM because african qualifying is crazy & because he has little support on his NT. But another problem is that african teams have become a lot more cynical & negative in the face of the qualifying process and everyone seeing the way anti-football can defeat the "naive" flair with which Jay Jay Okocha & co. played. I'm also still mad at Morocco because they have that kind of creative talent that made people fall in love with Nigeria in the 90s, but their coach was scared by the counter they gave up late in the first & so bunkered in the second.

What we need is an african FA that has the money & talent to establish a spanish style of play that they can similarly dominate Africa with. Show the continent that african team can dominate with their talent & flare, not just mourinho-esque anti-football.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Well we can't have the poles going further than mother Russia at this tourney, now can we? :sarcasm:

Reactions: robertmac43

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think part of that is the distribution at the moment. You've got guys like Auba are as dangerous as many of the african greats of our youth, but who won't ever play at the WM because african qualifying is crazy & because he has little support on his NT. But another problem is that african teams have become a lot more cynical & negative in the face of the qualifying process and everyone seeing the way anti-football can defeat the "naive" flair with which Jay Jay Okocha & co. played. I'm also still mad at Morocco because they have that kind of creative talent that made people fall in love with Nigeria in the 90s, but their coach was scared by the counter they gave up late in the first & so bunkered in the second.

What we need is an african FA that has the money & talent to establish a spanish style of play that they can similarly dominate Africa with. Show the continent that african team can dominate with their talent & flare, not just mourinho-esque anti-football.

The continent is also too big and fragmented, lacking basic infrastructure for cities and towns to develop teams/players who can be noticed by the national federations. There's a reason those countries wind up relying on players trained in other countries. Senegal only has two million more people than Belgium with nearly seven times the land mass. So while there are players at the likes of Guinea, Gabon, and Kenya who play for big teams these days, there's no way for those countries to develop a whole team.

I think there's a better chance of an East Asian country developing that kind of team.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The continent is also too big and fragmented, lacking basic infrastructure for cities and towns to develop teams/players who can be noticed by the national federations. There's a reason those countries wind up relying on players trained in other countries. Senegal only has two million more people than Belgium with nearly seven times the land mass. So while there are players at the likes of Guinea, Gabon, and Kenya who play for big teams these days, there's no way for those countries to develop a whole team.

I think there's a better chance of an East Asian country developing that kind of team.

Yeah, that was a big supposition of the "with the money & talent" part. Because it takes wealth to have that infrastructure to fully tap into your talent pool & give it that kind of support to really develop into a force. But there's enough talent in the more urbanized areas in the countries making progress that I don't think it's impossible.

Japan & South Korea will be able to develop that kind of team quicker, but I was thinking more about what it would take to shake the continent of the anti-football Mourinho-ball trend that it's been on since the 90s.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00