Euro: Group D: Turkey vs. Croatia, 6/12/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Turkey

Goalkeepers: Volkan Babacan (Medipol Basaksehir), Onur Recep Kivrak (Trabzonspor), Harun Tekin (Bursaspor)

Defenders: Gokhan Gonul, Sener Ozbayrakli, Caner Erkin, Mehmet Topal (all Fenerbahce), Hakan Kadir Balta, Semih Kaya (both Galatasaray), Ismail Koybasi (Besiktas), Ahmet Yilmaz Calik (Genclerbirligi)

Midfielders: Selcuk Inan (Galatasaray), Emre Mor (Borussia Dortmund), Ozan Tufan, Volkan Sen (both Fenerbahce), Oguzhan Ozyakup, Olcay Sahan (both Besiktas), Hakan Calhanoglu (Bayer Leverkusen), Nuri Sahin (Borussia Dortmund), Arda Turan (Barcelona), Yunus Malli (Mainz 05)

Forwards: Burak Yilmaz (Beijing Guoan), Cenk Tosun (Besiktas)

Croatia

Goalkeepers: Danijel Subasic (Monaco), Lovre Kalinic (Hajduk Split), Ivan Vargic (Rijeka)

Defenders: Vedran Corluka (Lokomotiv Moscow), Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk), Domagoj Vida (Dynamo Kiev), Sime Vrsaljko (Sassuolo), Gordon Schildenfeld (Dinamo Zagreb), Ivan Strinic (Napoli), Tin Jedvaj (Bayer Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Luka Modric, Mateo Kovacic (both Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona), Marcelo Brozovic, Ivan Perisic (both Inter Milan), Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Marko Rog, Ante Coric (both Dinamo Zagreb)

Forwards: Mario Mandzukic (Juventus), Nikola Kalinic (Fiorentina), Marko Pjaca, Duje Cop (both Dinamo Zagreb), Andrej Kramaric (Hoffenheim)

On paper this appears to be the most even matchup of this weekend's games, but Turkey's roster on paper rarely plays as good as it looks. In tournaments you could say the same for Croatia as well.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
On paper this appears to be the most even matchup of this weekend's games, but Turkey's roster on paper rarely plays as good as it looks. In tournaments you could say the same for Croatia as well.

You think this is more even on paper than Slovakia-Wales? I would favor Croatia pretty clearly just on the quality of the two squads.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
You think this is more even on paper than Slovakia-Wales? I would favor Croatia pretty clearly just on the quality of the two squads.

I agree with this, this squad doesn't scream much quality to me, except for some guys on midfield.

Dang Srna still keeps playing at international level, is he a defender now? During the 2008 tournament he was a midfielder iirc, and was a threatening option for free kicks.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I agree with this, this squad doesn't scream much quality to me, except for some guys on midfield.

Dang Srna still keeps playing at international level, is he a defender now? During the 2008 tournament he was a midfielder iirc, and was a threatening option for free kicks.

Yeah, he plays as a right back. I didn't watch him much this year, but I think he's still pretty good.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Neither team's coach knows much about tactics, but at least Terim is a great motivator; so I give the turks the edge in coaching, massive asterisk not withstanding. I'm expecting a 2-2 tie, but see Turkey as the more likely side to steal the 3-2. They got on a roll to sneak into this euro and aren't exactly lacking in talent themselves; with Arda, Calhanoglu, Inan, Malli, Mor, Ozyakup and Sahin to make things happen with the ball.

Expecting a sloppy and heated match with chances galore.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I guess it will be a tie, as the previous post mentioned, neither manager is a master tactician. Have a feeling this will be a pretty open game played on spirit and individual quality, which Croatia should have the edge but defensively they are poor.

With how these teams are mentally, a win could launch them into a spot where they will fight with Spain for 1st while a loss probably means 4th place :laugh:

Srna still starts even though Vrsaljko is a much better player these days, he's the captain so its impossible to drop him, but he will retire post Euro

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Terim was a decent game planner before he got full of himself. He found himself a gig with AC Milan, albeit short-lived, after a good stretch with Fiorentina where he made the switch from a very successful stint with Galatasaray. He continues to feed on those accomplishments of his which came more than 15 years ago. And I think he's the third most paid coach in the tournament :facepalm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Terim was a decent game planner before he got full of himself. He found himself a gig with AC Milan, albeit short-lived, after a good stretch with Fiorentina where he made the switch from a very successful stint with Galatasaray. He continues to feed on those accomplishments of his which came more than 15 years ago. And I think he's the third most paid coach in the tournament :facepalm:

Big games is then the other games, indeed.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Going off of names, there are few teams which are as good as we are. But our coach is a dolt, so that means nothing.

Srna is a shadow of his former self. BTW he was always a natural FB, but he played MF under Bilić, with Corluka as RB.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Croatia is one of those teams that might not be the most talented on paper, but a team that can win games with pure fight and will. Plus there's always Mandzu.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Croatia has a very decent team IMO.
But Turkey seems underrated here. Talented team IMO.

I call a draw.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Croatia is one of those teams that might not be the most talented on paper, but a team that can win games with pure fight and will. Plus there's always Mandzu.

How are they not talented on paper? On paper they have a top 5 midfield. Their defense and coaching are their weakness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad