Euro: Group D: England vs. Croatia, 6/13/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Game is in London. It seems like Croatians are down on their team while the English are not. This is usually a situation where England completely bombs and upsets their fans, but I doubt that's going to happen. All their games are in London, and if they win the group their R16 game is in London. Then there's one game in Rome and if they win their group, that would be the only time they have to leave the country. Their team surely must be thinking they're in a good position here.

As for Croatia, they had a easy qualifying group at first glance, but four of the teams in it qualified for this tournament. They've also done terrible in the last year or so. We've also learned in the past that a team's tournament results in a tournament two or three years before don't really mean anything. Good examples are when France had a terrible Euro 08, Netherlands fails to make a few tournaments after the WC in Brazil, Wales doesn't do anything after Euro 2016, etc. So it wouldn't be surprising to me anyway if Croatia went that route. But England could too, you know.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Croatia is a great team, but their core is a year older and I am not sure all their youngsters are good enough to replace the old guard yet (they're in a weird transition phase IMO). This should be an England three points, but you never know with the chaps.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
England should be winning this one. We'll see how their tournament starts off here.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Foden/Sancho-Kane-Mount up front please.

Sadly I think Southgate will just go with Raheem here instead.

edit: Also please ffs don't play a back 5 just cos Maguire is injured have some confidence.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
David Ornstein says that England are likely to play like this

Walker - Stones - Mings - Trippier

Phillips - Rice

Sterling - Mount - Foden

Kane

What an absolutely ridiculous lineup. Southgate really misusing the talent at his disposal.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Hopefully Ornhub has been fed false info. England started with that front 6 against Albania and struggled. Changed to a 4-3-3 before half time.

Mings starting and Trippier at LB. :help:

Reactions: AB13

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Foden/Sancho-Kane-Mount up front please.

Sadly I think Southgate will just go with Raheem here instead.

I honestly think Sterling is the most overrated player in England. Hope I'm proven wrong, but he had a terrible WC in 2018, and between Rashford, Foden and Grealish we have better options that can play on the left.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
The leak was right. Midfield is going to get dominated by Croatia. Sancho, Chilwell and Maguire not on the bench.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Gvardiol only made his debut last week though a big prospect, Lovren out injured while Rebic starting ahead of Petkovic mostly for pressing reasons though his form is way off

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
First game of the tournament I'll be watching closely. Aside from it being two relatively big teams, this is our group, so curious to see what form these two are coming in. Hard to say what the best result is for the Czech team's chances so I'll just go ahead and pull for Croatia as I would if it had no bearing on us.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It makes sense to have all these right backs then :laugh:

I guess we'll see who is on the left, but since Trippier's best attribute is his right foot that might not be the best place to play him.

I rate Phillips. So I don't see the problem, but time will show.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
f*** me Southgate. Trippier at left-back? Phillips starting? Grealish benched?
Trippier has never played there before. It's a trippy decision. In the Euro England has never lost at Wembley, but they've never won their opening game and Croatia has never lost their opening game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad