Euro: Group C: Netherlands vs. Ukraine, 6/13/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
All of the Netherlands games are in Amsterdam. This is another case of an advantage I find unfair, as with all of these situations (just pick a country and have the tournament there), but the point I'm trying to make is that the Netherlands aren't a team that's so good they're immune to having bad results at home. The group is in their favor, that's the real advantage here. They're the best team in the group even though they have the worst manager. They're missing their best player but it probably won't be a huge factor in group play.

Ukraine has some quality but the difference in talent is pretty steep. They did also win their group and it wasn't some weak group. Portugal and Serbia were in it. That was quite a while ago now. Konoplyanka is also not here, so someone needs to step up. There also may be some diplomatic story crap after this game because they have an outline of Ukraine on their shirt and Crimea is still in that outline. If they win I feel like a lot of people will try to make a story out of it.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Oranje is my team but I agree with how Euro 2020 has been staged. One team always has an advantage as the host nation but not a fan of picking the traditional powerhouse nations to host all of the groups. Looking forward to the games regardless.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
About 85% of the Dutch people have no faith in de Boer. There are even fans who won’t watch due to his atrocious 5-3-2 and even worse tactical mind. Really the most incapable coach out there.

I’ve never cared less for a tournament, to be honest. Just hoping at least Gravenberch or Timber can showcase their talent somewhat.

Reactions: YNWA14

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
About 85% of the Dutch people have no faith in de Boer. There are even fans who won’t watch due to his atrocious 5-3-2 and even worse tactical mind. Really the most incapable coach out there.

I’ve never cared less for a tournament, to be honest. Just hoping at least Gravenberch or Timber can showcase their talent somewhat.
Both excellent players but ya there coach is off it. Sad

Reactions: Ajacied

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Yeah I mean the hiring of de Boer showed such a huge lack of awareness. How these recycled coaches keep getting jobs when there are plenty of progressive, interesting coaches out there baffles me aside from the whole old boys club feel. He probably wouldn't have taken it but would have loved to see Pep Lijnders get the offer.

I just hope they make it past the group stage at this point. Ukraine is a good team.

Reactions: Ajacied

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Very funny to me Stekelenburg is still their keeper. Guy is OLD.
A high-level country I feel like should be able to produce a top keeper who is younger than 38.

Probably not fair that they get to host their own group, but they also don't get to host major tournaments, no?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A high-level country I feel like should be able to produce a top keeper who is younger than 38.

Probably not fair that they get to host their own group, but they also don't get to host major tournaments, no?
I wouldn't call them a high-level country at the moment. Their domestic league is still a quality league, but their national team development has fallen on hard times.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I wouldn't call them a high-level country at the moment. Their domestic league is still a quality league, but their national team development has fallen on hard times.

If they had all their players and a decent manager I would think they could make the SF though. Instead they won't.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If they had all their players and a decent manager I would think they could make the SF though. Instead they won't.
They have no depth really though. They still have some top end players of course, but are they in the top 10 in Europe at the moment? I'm not confident that they are.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But their standard is such of that as a top-level. Even if they're not, they think they should be.

They were the country I used to follow closest before they started missing tournaments.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They have no depth really though. They still have some top end players of course, but are they in the top 10 in Europe at the moment? I'm not confident that they are.

No, not considering depth they aren't that good. They have no depth in any attacking positions. But their first team? Yeah they are. They just can't withstand basically any injury except at CM. Cillesen had corona problems and van Dijk got hurt and look how much it hurt their team.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Ukraine has the quality not to lose today. The Netherlands has a better attack, but the Ukrainians under Shevchenko play patiently and the have a chance score to goal.

The good news is that Zabarny will play and Kryvtsov will be on the bench. The bad news is that there will be no Trubin in the net, but Buscan.

Ukraine will not lose today.
1-1.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There are way more people in these places than the governments claimed they would allow. I'm not complaining because I'm glad. But there are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad