Euro: Group B: Russia vs. Finland, 6/16/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I understand you, the problem with that is the quality of Russia's CB, which is very mediocre.

Russia's best defenders are all DMs, and they actually have good depth there also.

Oh that is why Barinov would be the "3rd CB" were it up to me :laugh:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Absolutely embarrassing game by team Russia - to sit back and try to hold the 1-0 lead against Finland at home is simply not acceptable.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
I'm actually more pleased with this game than the one against Denmark. In that one they showed they can win, but now they showed they can play football.

Reactions: Tmu84

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wasn’t overly impressed with Russia, Finland did nothing once Pukki went off, they have to avoid a hammering against Belgium now likely

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely embarrassing game by team Russia - to sit back and try to hold the 1-0 lead against Finland at home is simply not acceptable.

I don't think it was too bad.

They had some chances on the counter and pretty much neutered Finland from the 80th minute on.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Finland just needs to field a completely different starting XI vs Belgium:

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Hintz - Aho - Teravainen
Ristolainen - Heiskanen - Maatta - Vatanen
Korpisalo​

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
So, if everyone loses to Belgium and Denmark wins over Russia, what then? Who will be the second? Finland has played both Denmark and Russia in front of their home-crowds.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So, if everyone loses to Belgium and Denmark wins over Russia, what then? Who will be the second? Finland has played both Denmark and Russia in front of their home-crowds.
Goal differential between the teams is the first tie breaker, though no idea how it works with 3 teams.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

If they all win/lose their mutual matches 1:0 then it depends on how high they each lost to Belgium. If Denmark beats Russia 2:1 it's enough to put Denmark second and Russia third.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Can't say we were the better side in this game, but I still think they could (dare I say should) have squeked a tie from this considering the importance of that one point. At least they gave themselves the chance by keeping it a one goal game. Russia didn't look good defensively outside of that one guy who made some key tackles.

I'm no expert on the Finnish NT but I feel like some guys are "off" from their best form. Or it's just the lack of skills showing up when the competion is tougher. Anyway, even with the loss it was nice to be able to see some offensive attempts for a change after that one sided Denmark game.

Tbh, three points in the tournament is still a generous result compared to the level of Finland's performance.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Tbh, three points in the tournament is still a generous result compared to the level of Finland's performance.

Yep, Finland and N-Macedonia are the lowest ranked teams in this tournament. Surprised we still have three points after two games.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The third place could also qualify so it’s definitely interesting
Which is why it's so disappointing because a draw was there for the taking, Russia was very underwhelming. 4 points could've maybe put us over the top, but with 3 points isn't going to cut it.

Well, football is made of miracles, maybe we can draw with Belgium if the stars align properly and they think they have the group if they win against the Danes and thus play softer....

Awesome to watch these games with Finland in them for the first time regardless.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Which is why it's so disappointing because a draw was there for the taking, Russia was very underwhelming. 4 points could've maybe put us over the top, but with 3 points isn't going to cut it.

Well, football is made of miracles, maybe we can draw with Belgium if the stars align properly and they think they have the group if they win against the Danes and thus play softer....

Awesome to watch these games with Finland in them for the first time regardless.

Finland was more underwhelming.

But yes, a draw was potentially there.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I don't think it was too bad.

They had some chances on the counter and pretty much neutered Finland from the 80th minute on.

Yeah, Finland without Pukki is pretty much a neutered Finland. With that depth, if you can call it that, losses like Sparv and Pukki can't be replaced.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Finland was more underwhelming.

But yes, a draw was potentially there.
In the end, on paper, Finland is not a good team even compared to Russia. Somewhat understandable.

Uor0iXW.png

53 years since Belgium last won against us. I doubt the streak will continue...

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Kanerva made mistakes, he should've switched to 4-4-2 immediately after 1-0 goal (probably should've gone with that in the first place), Lappalainen was wrong choice. Forss should've been there.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Finland no longer has a perfect 100% record in European championship history

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad