6 Lukáš Cingel - 65 Tomáš Marcinko - 28 Pavol Skalický

Scratched:
G 1 Marek Čiliak
F 33 Juraj Mikúš

Last edited:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
My guess is Slovakia 3 - Austria 2, in the shootout
The Slovaks need to deliver now, if they want to continue to pursue qf ambitions. No matter how bitter a defeat might be for Team Austria, their fans will be great as always and won't let down the team from the Alpenrepublik. :thumbu:

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Well, another year, another terrible showing from us. Not really unexpectable, when one looks at our player base.
I just hope we show some real effort. When I watched Latvia score to make it 1:8 against Finland, I felt like they had shown more effort to play than our entire team during the match against Switzerland.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
And saw all of your Czech Extraliga, KHL, NHL players?

When our roster looks even a little bit like yours, I will be insufferable haha

I'm not saying we aren't the slight favorites, but to be honest, I don't think our offense is better. Especially with the addition of Raffl. Actually, only our first line was able to create something in the offensive zone (and still, it wasn't much).
Most of our guys in the Czech Extraliga are nothing more than 3rd liners, 20-25 points per season is their ceiling. KHL players, you are saying.. What KHL players? There are two on this team, Cajkovsky, who is a defender, and Skalicky, who has no business being in the KHL, the only reason he ever played a single KHL game is Slovan. Aside from that, we have Jurco and a bunch of "productive" players from our league, but being productive there hardly means anything, sadly.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
That's just a copy of the lineup of the last game. Will be corrected when the official lineup is out. I would be heavily surprised if Starkbaum doesn't start the games vs. SVK, FRA and BLR.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
man what has happened to Slovakia? I say that with all the respect in the world as I usually cheered for Slovakia in the games not against the US. is their depth really this bad now? is there not much youth coming up either? I see a guy like Jurco on the top line who could barely play on the Hawks 4th line at times...in 2010, that Slovakia team was my 2nd favorite in the Olympics...just loved the talent they had and the heart they always showed...I understand not having Chara and Hossa anymore are two major loses, but they used to put out competitive teams that had at least half the team of NHLers...

I like seeing Austria as well, looks like a hard working group, hopefully they start producing more and more talent as well...countries like this always confused me why they aren't producing more decent talent. good game so far.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
man what has happened to Slovakia? I say that with all the respect in the world as I usually cheered for Slovakia in the games not against the US. is their depth really this bad now? is there not much youth coming up either? I see a guy like Jurco on the top line who could barely play on the Hawks 4th line at times...in 2010, that Slovakia team was my 2nd favorite in the Olympics...just loved the talent they had and the heart they always showed...I understand not having Chara and Hossa anymore are two major loses, but they used to put out competitive teams that had at least half the team of NHLers...

I like seeing Austria as well, looks like a hard working group, hopefully they start producing more and more talent as well...countries like this always confused me why they aren't producing more decent talent. good game so far.

Yep, our depth is that bad. And it's not just about depth, even at 100% full strength, we are far behind the top6.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yep, our depth is that bad. And it's not just about depth, even at 100% full strength, we are far behind the top6.
is there anything being implemented for development of players in Slovakia? Any youth programs or programs in general to try and get back that point of the late 90's and 2000's?? Thanks

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
is there anything being implemented for development of players in Slovakia? Any youth programs or programs in general to try and get back that point of the late 90's and 2000's?? Thanks

Recently, new president of the hockey federation has been elected, but it's early to tell. I mean, our U18 and U20 teams are steadily playing in the elite, we produce some talented players sometimes, but it's just too little. And there is no real top end talent with 1st round potential. Maybe except for Cajkovic, he was stellar at this year's U18 WC.

Our domestic league is weak, this is even more true about the U20/U18 league, infrastructure is bad... All in all, I would like to be optimistic, but I doubt we will ever be able to compete with top6 again.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Recently, new president of the hockey federation has been elected, but it's early to tell. I mean, our U18 and U20 teams are steadily playing in the elite, we produce some talented players sometimes, but it's just too little. And there is no real top end talent with 1st round potential. Maybe except for Cajkovic, he was stellar at this year's U18 WC.

Our domestic league is weak, this is even more true about the U20/U18 league, infrastructure is bad... All in all, I would like to be optimistic, but I doubt we will ever be able to compete with top6 again.
I appreciate all this, and hope things get better for you guys, maybe adopting the USNDP model can help as well... and maybe another stupid question but it seems that the Czechs have really turned it around over the past 6 years or so...not sure what they are doing but they are generating a lot of high end talent of late, is there anything you are seeing going on over there that could be of use for you guys? Thanks again.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
I appreciate all this, and hope things get better for you guys, maybe adopting the USNDP model can help as well... and maybe another stupid question but it seems that the Czechs have really turned it around over the past 6 years or so...not sure what they are doing but they are generating a lot of high end talent of late, is there anything you are seeing going on over there that could be of use for you guys? Thanks again.
Actually, we have a USNTDP-like model, our U20 team plays in the senior league, but I don't think it's to any use, as almost all of the above average guys seek to play in Sweden, Czechia etc... And understandably so.
So it's basically just the worse U20 guys getting mostly trashed in our slow senior league.

As for the Czechs, I'm not entirely sure, maybe some of the Czech posters can elaborate. I think they have had success with hockey academies.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Actually, we have a USNTDP-like model, our U20 team plays in the senior league, but I don't think it's to any use, as almost all of the above average guys seek to play in Sweden, Czechia etc... And understandably so.
So it's basically just the worse U20 guys getting mostly trashed in our slow senior league.

As for the Czechs, I'm not entirely sure, maybe some of the Czech posters can elaborate. I think they have had success with hockey academies.
that is crazy, well sorry to derail the thread, hope better times ahead for you guys, team plays hard though a lot of heart from what I have seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad