GDT: Group A • Feb. 16 • Slovenia vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It also isn't set in stone it would put as at the 3, as Finland/Canada could go to OT. If my memory is correct, that would just mean we'd need to put up enough points to catch either team in goal differential to jump to the 2. Which I would much prefer, as a potential quarterfinal game with the Czech Republic sounds much better then one with Switzerland.

US has a shot at seeding 1st. +7 GD for US and Canada has + 8. If US beats Slovenia cleanly, and Canada-Finland is a close one, they have a shot.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
US has a shot at seeding 1st. +7 GD Canada has + 8. If US beats Slovenia cleanly, and Canada-Finland is a close one, they have a shot.

nope, best they can do is 8 points, Sweden has 9, if Canada/Finland ends in regulation the winner there will have 9 and the US would be at best 3rd.

Currently they're at best 2nd.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
nope, best they can do is 8 points, Sweden has 9, if Canada/Finland ends in regulation the winner there will have 9 and the US would be at best 3rd.

Don't like this point system at all. It punishes you for playing a really close, exciting game against a great team but ultimately coming out on top.

Ditch the shootout and give 3 pts for any win at all. So stupid.

illpucks

May 26, 2011

Is OTW/SO Win less pts in Olympics than NHL?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
3 point system. 3 poins for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for an OT L, and 0 for a regulation loss.

Arguably what the NHL should be doing anyway.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Don't like this point system at all. It punishes you for playing a really close, exciting game against a great team but ultimately coming out on top.

I don't know about ditching the shootout, but I agree about the unfair punishment for a close game. It also favors teams in easier divisions. US is in the toughest division as it has 2 of the big 4, the others have 1.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

Really? I think it makes way more sense than what you suggested.

Would you also like to take away goal differential to decide tie-breaks because it doesn't reward close, exciting games?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I see. Thanks for the info.

I don't know about ditching the shootout, but I agree about the unfair punishment for a close game. It also favors teams in easier divisions. US is in the toughest division as it has 2 of the big 4, the others have 1.

if they didn't want to be in a tough division maybe they should have been ranked higher at the cutoff. And yes I know, too much world championship factor in, not best on best blah blah, it's the best way or ranking the teams as thing can change so much from previous best on best tournament.

It's not the best system but if you give them full points for the win now you're ranking purely on goal differential and the USA beating up on weak teams like Slovakia(in this tournament they've been weak) and probably Slovenia(known to be weak previously, playing well atm) while Sweden didn't have that oppurtunity.

It works both ways, most NHL fans hate the 2 for a win point system and wish they'd implement the 3 point systme that international hockey uses.

They're not facing the same teams so no matter who you look at it, ranking them 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12 isn't going to be fair but putting the team who won all 3 games in regulation ahead of the team that required a shootout if probably the fairest way to go.

Actually if we were going by NHL rules and tiebreakers Sweden would rank ahead of the USA too, 6 points(2 for each win assuming USA beats Slovenia) and Sweden would have 3 ROW, USA just 2.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Ugh.... another weekend day waking up early.... oh well, such is life. Gotta enjoy it while I can, as I can't watch the games while I'm at work.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

It feels like we're being punished by winning the by far toughest group. That is assuming that we win tomorrow.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
It feels like we're being punished by winning the by far toughest group. That is assuming that we win tomorrow.

Dont want to look too far ahead, but.....imo third place is a good place to be. Likely to be in A bracket with the Swiss and the Swedes while Canada, Russia and Finland are on the other side.

Chieftans22*

How is Group A the toughest group?

Maybe for Slovenia/Slovakia, but for the U.S. it's basically 2 wins and a close game.
If we were in B, we'd be playing the Fins and Canada.
In C, Sweden and the Czechs.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Maybe for Slovenia/Slovakia, but for the U.S. it's basically 2 wins and a close game.

you can't really look at it like you're moving to another division with no other repurcussions otherwise one could say your group is the toughest, move Canada to that group and they'd be playing the USA and Russia instead of Finland, and...?

if you compare USA's schedule to Canada's...

Russia > Finland
Slovakia > Norway(despite how awful Slovakia is playing)
Austria > Slovenia(maybe, Slovenia is playing awesome though)

USA's is clearly tougher. comparing yours to Sweden's...

Russia > Czechs
Slovakia = Swiss(Slovakia should be better than they're playing, it's pretty close usually)
Latvia > Slovenia

Pretty close, but normally best on best the USA and Sweden beat all those teams the majority of the time besides Russia where it's tight.

So I would say the USA would have a tougher time going 3-0 than Sweden would, and they did.

That doesn't mean they deserve to be ranked ahead of Sweden though, ranking has to be objective, and Sweden did win all 3 games in regulation, ranking 2 teams with completely different schedules isn't exactly fair but that's how it works unfortunately.

Ducksgo*

Gotta come out hard on this one boys. Slovenia being down and out are gonna for sure bring it. Let's go USA!!! we all saw the bar viewing parties and it's time for!

Let's finish the prelims on a high note! Let's go USA :yo:

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County
They need to bring it because this game is huge (read below). I would like to see forward line changes based on chemistry I saw against Russia….
Parise-Pavelski-Kane
Van Remiesdyk-Kesler-Kessel
Pacioretty-Backes-Callahan
Brown-Stastny-Oshie
Wheeler/Stepan

The USA needs to win in regulation, Canada-Finland needs to be won in regulation, and Russia needs to win in regulation. This means USA 3rd and Russia 4th…and we wouldn’t have to see them again until the Gold Medal game. They would more than likely have to go through Switzerland and Sweden, which won’t be easy, but the preferred route to go.

Medal Round or whatever it is called…
(D1 v. (D8 v. D9)) v. (D4 v. (D5 v. D12))
(D2 v. (D7 v. D10)) v. (D3 v. (D6 v. D11))

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012

Group A has 2 of the "Big 4"
Group B has 1 of the "Big 4"
Group C has 1 of the "Big 4"

Group A is the hardest. Taking a stacked Russian team to OT and then a shootout costs you a chance for a top-2 seed? That's just stupid.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I've enjoyed pulling for Slovenia but I really want to see the USA put together a dominating win after yesterday. I assume Miller will be in net so I'd also like to see a shootout [edit: a shutout! whoops] considering he's one of my favorite players. Good luck after today, my Slovenian brothers. :handclap:

Last edited:

Ducksgo*

They need to bring it because this game is huge (read below). I would like to see forward line changes based on chemistry I saw against Russia….
Parise-Pavelski-Kane
Van Remiesdyk-Kesler-Kessel
Pacioretty-Backes-Callahan
Brown-Stastny-Oshie
Wheeler/Stepan

The USA needs to win in regulation, Canada-Finland needs to be won in regulation, and Russia needs to win in regulation. This means USA 3rd and Russia 4th…and we wouldn’t have to see them again until the Gold Medal game. They would more than likely have to go through Switzerland and Sweden, which won’t be easy, but the preferred route to go.

Medal Round or whatever it is called…
(D1 v. (D8 v. D9)) v. (D4 v. (D5 v. D12))
(D2 v. (D7 v. D10)) v. (D3 v. (D6 v. D11))

Agreed this game is pretty huge. Going to a viewing party tonight can't wait.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Obviously if we were in group B or C one of those teams you listed wouldn't be there. No other group has two teams as strong as the USA and Russia. If you look at what were widely considered the 4 best teams, only Russia and USA have to play one of them in their group. Finland isn't nearly the challenge for Canada that Russia would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad