|
wca.gif
Jesse Wilmot | -

Last edited:

GPF

US Bandwagon
Oct 22, 2004
Barcelona, Spain
:handclap: first, wow must be ages since I did this last time. Not that I have a lot of time or mood to post nowadays if it isn't for the big tourneys or SCFs, but the good thing of climbing up the ladder was definitely that today I can decide for myself to take a two/three hour break from work in the afternoon and watch a game :naughty:

I really can live with all decisions made (Quick, dpairs, assuming it's true Orpik is 7th dman and Carlos-Fowler 3rd pair) except the break up of Backes and Oshie and putting Callahan on it (apart from swaping Oshie and Callahan I would even prefer Wheeler there .. but we will see in exactly 4 hours

GO USA from Barcelona

tlallstar6

Jan 24, 2008
@ByKevinAllen 2h
USA defensive pairings vs. Slovakia: Suter-Martin, McDonagh-Shattenkirk, Fowler-Carlson. Orpik is No. 7

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
U S A! U S A!

I've been waiting for this game for 4 years. Considering how terrible my NHL team is and USA's mediocre WJC roster this year, this is the the only team I'm a real fan of that has high hopes. Though I'd still like to see Miller in net, I'm certainly not hoping Quick lays an egg. If he's locked in to the fullest then USA's chances for gold are that much better.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
@ByKevinAllen 2h
USA defensive pairings vs. Slovakia: Suter-Martin, McDonagh-Shattenkirk, Fowler-Carlson. Orpik is No. 7

So it all worked out in the end after all the worries (from myself included). Faulk could conceivably be as good in this tourney as anyone outside of Suter but you could say the same for the other guys who are playing. Not hot on Martin being chained to Suter considering the minutes and importance, but as the vet I can't really fault coach for giving him the chance to start with.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Yeah, it looks like that JVR-Pavs-Kessel line looks like a sure bet to start, plus the Kesler Kane combo appears to have some chemistry....so it's interesting to me that they don't see Backes-Oshie having that same effect.

Faulk, Stepan and Howard are the scratches. I really don't understand Orpik over Faulk, but Disco Dan gonna Disco Dan I guess.

PapaQ

Jun 18, 2010
This might be the first upset of the tournament. Slovakia doesn't look particulary scary this year, but you never know.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yeah, it looks like that JVR-Pavs-Kessel line looks like a sure bet to start, plus the Kesler Kane combo appears to have some chemistry....so it's interesting to me that they don't see Backes-Oshie having that same effect.

Faulk, Stepan and Howard are the scratches. I really don't understand Orpik over Faulk, but Disco Dan gonna Disco Dan I guess.

I suppose the idea re: Orpik is maybe a guy he trusts to throw out in PK or some late-period d-zone situations. Not a fan of it but it's not likely to have much impact if the 3 pairs play regularly and the 7th man isn't rotated in for regular shifts, which I assume would be the case.

Backes-Oshie is truly confusing but if the lines work out then so be it

member 151739

Been waiting for this game for years. So excited. Sleep is not an option for me tonight.

Same here. I got a two liter to keep me awake. I'm so jittery, not because of the caffeine, but because I'm so anxious for the game to start. I'm not the biggest fan of our projected first line. Thankfully Orpik is the extra guy too.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Same here. I got a two liter to keep me awake. I'm so jittery, not because of the caffeine, but because I'm so anxious for the game to start. I'm not the biggest fan of our projected first line. Thankfully Orpik is the extra guy too.
I'm sure any issues will be smoothed out when appropriate. Russia will be the biggest measuring stick.

member 151739

I'm sure any issues will be smoothed out when appropriate. Russia will be the biggest measuring stick.

Indeed. I'm hoping for little to no issues however. Handzus being the first line center for the Slovaks makes me laugh, as a Hawks fan. :laugh:

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
From all the teams we've sustained the most injuries, so we are definitely weaker given the fact that our 5million country obviously does not have the depth. But as it has happened many times before, we can always step up as a team and beat anyone. Let's have an awesome game! :yo:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
From all the teams we've sustained the most injuries, so we are definitely weaker given the fact that our 5million country obviously does not have the depth. But as it has happened many times before, we can always step up as a team and beat anyone. Let's have an awesome game! :yo:

I've always liked Slovakia's teams. Sekera is still one of my favorite league-wide players in the NHL since he left Buffalo. Hoping this will be a competitive game and a win for the US, then Slovakia upsets Russia when they face off. :handclap:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I don't like the shield. Looks like a generic crest or cops badge.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I suppose the idea re: Orpik is maybe a guy he trusts to throw out in PK or some late-period d-zone situations. Not a fan of it but it's not likely to have much impact if the 3 pairs play regularly and the 7th man isn't rotated in for regular shifts, which I assume would be the case.

Backes-Oshie is truly confusing but if the lines work out then so be it

I'm personally very high on Faulk so that's a big part of it for me. I live in the land of Claude Julien, a man who is famous for trusting his steady veterans in important situations (and it's paid off for him so who am I? :laugh: )

I'm not looking past the Slovaks....certainly a team with potential for an upset, although they've suffered some injuries which makes them less scary....so using this first game to throw some things together and check gameplay chemistry seems the prudent way to go, considering the second matchup on Saturday.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

Absolutely...and something important for the Americans to remember.

Naturally I want a US victory....but also wanna see my boy Zdeno play well. He's having a very good year with the Bruins and aside from today, hope to see that translate into a solid Olympic showing.

Enjoy!

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I wanted a Suter, but I hated.....haaaaaated those sweaters when they first came out so nixed it.

They're kinda growing on me though. They look better on the ice than they do close up.

I like the whites more than the blues, but yeah, the USA shield looks like the stock Nike USA emblem.

member 151739

I don't like our jerseys at all, but the white ones are decent. Can't stand those stars and fake laces though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad