TBN: Grosek's Benching an Open and Shut Case

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
GROSEK'S BENCHING AN OPEN-AND-SHUT CASE

Grosek was back in the lineup Sunday and did absolutely nothing. Really, nothing. Unless, of course, you count how many times he effectively opened and closed the door to the Sabres' bench during Sunday's 2-2 tie with the Edmonton Oilers.
"Somebody has to do it," Grosek said.

Might be a good role for Sobotka. It requires someone steady and reliable. I wouldn't trust Thompson with it. His attention would wander and he'd take out Jack's knee.

"Maybe if I saw some fire out of him, he would have played," Ruff said. "I didn't see any fire. It wasn't meant to embarrass him.

Take notes Phil. There will be a quiz.

"I don't know what he thinks. I know what I think, and I really don't care what he thinks. What can I do? Nothing," Grosek said. "Maybe he's just looking at me, and not looking at himself, too. The last 13 games I have one goal. My ice time was reduced to 0:00."

"It's not me," Ruff said. "He's going to blame me or he's going to blame his teammates. If it were me, I don't think he'd be playing an average of 17 minutes a game and have one goal and no assists."

This is more entertaining than the games now.

Not long after Maxim Afinogenov was promoted from Rochester, winger Rob Ray pulled the rookie aside and outlined a few necessities for survival in the NHL. Ray reminded the skilled winger to keep his stick, the one true equalizer, up when danger neared. Afinogenov learned quickly and the pests have been keeping their distance. On Sunday, Afinogenov's stick put him in trouble.
The winger was given a five-minute major for spearing and ejected with 3:22 remaining in the second period in the 2-2 tie with Edmonton. Afinogenov said he meant to slash Oilers defenseman Roman Hamrlik in response to a slash. The play is automatically reviewed by the NHL, and Afinogenov could be suspended.

Ray needs to pull a few of the current Sabres aside. This shying away from contact has to stop. As Reggie Dunlop would say, "Get that lumber in his teeth. Let 'em know you're there!"

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
GROSEK'S BENCHING AN OPEN-AND-SHUT CASE

Might be a good role for Sobotka. It requires someone steady and reliable. I wouldn't trust Thompson with it. His attention would wander and he'd take out Jack's knee.

Take notes Phil. There will be a quiz.

This is more entertaining than the games now.

Ray needs to pull a few of the current Sabres aside. This shying away from contact has to stop. As Reggie Dunlop would say, "Get that lumber in his teeth. Let 'em know you're there!"
I love Ruff

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Oddly, the only player in recent memory who has actually had to sit on the bench when he was benched is Reinhart.

They didn't have enough bodies to sit on the bench that day iirc, he had to be dressed. He would have been a healthy scratch otherwise.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't mind Lindy back in some capacity ... advisor or even Pres of Hockey Ops ...

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
This article has it all - Grosek and Ruff bickering through reporters - Roy teaching Afino - and Barnaby with the slur

Amazing

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad