Griffey a Pirate? Chipper a Tiger? The MLB draft rule that changed history

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I imagine Griffey on the Pirates puts them over the top in the early 90's. I think it'd make more sense to hang on to Van Slyke, keep Bonilla at 3rd (or 1st if his defense is that big of an issue). That would be a very potent lineup to go along with a very solid pitching staff. They should've won at least the 91 World Series during this time frame - add Ken Griffey Jr. to the team and they win at least one more.

That said, I think Bonilla still leaves in 1992 for the Mets - the Pirates weren't matching that contract offer. Same with Bonds in 1993 for the Giants. In reality, the Mariners re-signed Griffey in December 1992 to a 4 year, $24 mil contract. I would think the Pirates would be able to sign him at this time, but the team was in need of a clear rebuild by this time.

In real life, Griffey signed a 4 year, $34 mil extension with the Mariners before the 96 season - as this new contract took effect from 1997-2001. With a clearly rebuilding Pirates team by this time, they likely deal him at this time. I could see a team like the Dodgers all in on him, they had a hole at CF (Butler was 39 years old by this time). I'm sure Pittsburgh would want Mondesi, who was the 1995 NL ROY. Darren Dreifort was a top prospect and likely would've been headed to Pittsburgh. Ismael Valdez is another young pitcher. I'm sure there would be other parts going to the Pirates. LA probably signs him to a similar contract that the Mariners did, making him the highest paid player in baseball at the time of the deal.

With the Dodgers, they would've run into the Braves, and had they been able to take them out, then the dynasty Yankees. Their best shot at a World Series would've been 1997, but that was a loaded Marlins team that won - and if they took out Florida, Cleveland was a very talented club in 1997. With the way the Dodgers largely underachieved during these years - it's hard seeing them winning a title. I think Griffey stays with LA until his contract runs out at the end of the 2001 season. Griffey likely signs with Cincinnati in 2002 - probably a similar contract to the 9 year, $100+ million the Reds gave him in 2000. I think he signs for 8 years instead of 9, taking him with the Reds until 2010. With the Reds keeping key pieces that went to Seattle in the 2000 Griffey deal, they would've been in better shape - remember, this team nearly went to the playoffs in 1999, losing to the Mets in a tie-breaking game. With the Reds opening GABP in 2003, Griffey would've been the star to draw in the fans. Depending on the Reds and Pirates situation come 2010, I could see him returning to Pittsburgh for the final season of his career, much like he did with Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad