Player Discussion: Griess or Jaro?

islesjuncky

Jun 15, 2014
new york
Who should we run this year? Personally I think Jaro has the job right now, but he'll play poor and Greiss will take over. This team plays better behind Greiss and in my opinion Jaro should be traded or waived, and be rube can be a full time backup.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Waived? Yeah, no. Jaro is the better of the two until proven otherwise. If Greiss takes over the #1 job, we're in great shape. Berube? Hopefully he's traded to the Kings for a 3rd rounder.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Who should we run this year? Personally I think Jaro has the job right now, but he'll play poor and Griess will take over. This team plays better behind Griess and in my opinion Jaro should be traded or waived, and be rube can be a full time backup.

They both played one game. Can we wait a little bit before making posts like this?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Regardless of who you like, we need to trade or waive a goaltender. It has been said many times by many NHL players, coaches, etc. Carrying 3 goaltenders hurts all of them. Even if you just give one away, we improve.

Tell me Greiss doesn't look like a starter after yesterday though, and last year.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like the way Greiss fills up the net and maintains good posture. His movements on second chance opportunities are not wild, but rather collected.

I just simply can't trust him yet.

Doc Holliday

Jun 30, 2008
The team plays way better in front of Greiss then they do halak. They did all last year. Its only been two games but it was the same as last season. Obviously we need a much bigger sample size.

I by no means played professional hockey but i have been playing almost 20 years competitively. Sponsored when i was younger, traveled alot. and sometimes teams trust one of the goalies alot more then the other. And that translates into how you play and take your shift, your risks out on the rink knowing you have a good goalie you trust or a goalie who you might not trust with making a big save.

just a different perspective then the OH WELL HALAK HAD JUST AS GOOD NUMBERS AS GREISS LAST SEASON ..... like i get it but greiss was 23-11 . halak barely .500. big difference. team played better in front of greiss all last year. and greiss makes big saves. halak alot of the time doesnt unless its against the rangers. lets in far more "soft" goals too.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
why is this an "or" discussion to begin with?

Given Greiss career as a backup handling a backups workload and Halak being injury prone, why not just go with a 1a/1b where Halak gets 45-50 starts?

The answer is Berube. Management is enamored with him and he is taking up a roster spot. For the long term, I could see why you want to have a guy like him in the system but it simply does not make sense to hold him when we have other needs on the team.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I love how no one ever gives Halak a chance. He played well against the Rangers, none of those goals were his fault.

He's the only reason we were in that game. That's not to say Greiss didn't play well but instead of looking for THE starting goalie why not enjoy what we currently have?

Once Berube is traded for a pick and we call up Pulock we are golden.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
He's the only reason we were in that game. That's not to say Greiss didn't play well but instead of looking for THE starting goalie why not enjoy what we currently have?

I agree.

I also thought Halak was actually pretty good last year, we just didn't give him enough goal support and that's why he had such a bad record. His first year he was one of the worst goalies to handle the puck I've ever seen, but last year he was great at it and he was really good at it against the Rangers too.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

No way Garth is trading his lover for just a pick.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Berube's not going anywhere. With LAK and Quick, seems like Isles could flip Greiss, if they wanted to.

I just don't see a team taking on Halak's contract right now, considering he has that second year.

Isles can't waive Berube right now bc of LAK.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Berube's not going anywhere. With LAK and Quick, seems like Isles could flip Greiss, if they wanted to.

I just don't see a team taking on Halak's contract right now, considering he has that second year.

Isles can't waive Berube right now bc of LAK.

I think dealing Greiss or Halak right now would just be stupid and I would be against such a move.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I run with the hot goalie when games get meaningful, there is no reason to pick one over the other, especially now. Now as far as berube, somebody or a bunch in the organization think he is something special, and I have no idea if it's real or not. One thing I do feel confident about is Halak's propensity to getting injured. We also can surmise that Greiss will not be back after his contract ends so I have no problem with keeping Berube for if the injury bug hits Jaro (or Greiss) or have him as the backup next year or wait for an interesting trade comes for any of them.

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
I think Halak is a better goalie, that simple. I like Greiss a lot but just don't think hes as talented as Halak. Good to have two solid goalies, always a positive.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Do what Arbour did when he had a solid netminder in Kelly Hrudey and an aging legend with a bad toupee in Billy Smith.

Play both, until one gets red hot, and then play him till he cools off. Win/Win.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Do what Arbour did when he had a solid netminder in Kelly Hrudey and an aging legend with a bad toupee in Billy Smith.

Play both, until one gets red hot, and then play him till he cools off. Win/Win.

But we don't have 2. We have 3 regardless of who you like over the others. That's the issue.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
I was seated at the other end and did not see a replay - it appeared to be deflected but since it was Fowler credited I'm guessing it was not...

Both goals were weak but the last one was bad bc when Karl pushed across, he didn't stay square to the puck. He pushed over and his shoulders and more importantly his pads, weren't facing the puck. Gave the room short sice because of it. He should stop that. He's like familia late in the season. Shakey and scares the crap out of me

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Capuano is as far from Arbour as Strait is to Tavares - if not further.

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
It's Greiss. Not Griess. I know it's not a big deal but it kinda pisses me off that people here can't take two seconds out of their lives to spell European born players names correctly. Frans Nielsen was with the Islanders for 10 seasons and people still couldn't spell his name. :shakehead

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It's Greiss. Not Griess. I know it's not a big deal but it kinda pisses me off that people here can't take two seconds out of their lives to spell European born players names correctly. Frans Nielsen was with the Islanders for 10 seasons and people still couldn't spell his name. :shakehead

Some people still spell Hamonic, Harmonic. It's bound to happen, literacy isn't really pushed in this country anymore and people don't really read as much as they used to. That really helps with spelling names, especially those unfamiliar to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad